Solo Leveling

Fed-Kun's army
Too Much Racism

Typical in that it frames the protagonists abilities in terms of levels. Story is so-so. Not really great. I saw it as a fun little series. This is one of the comics being translated by Jaimini's Box, so I started reading it on there. Since they're putting out chapters at their own pace and I wanted more content, I began reading the light novel.

In the light novel I noticed the author playing on ethnic tensions between Koreans and Japanese (writing Japanese characters as shifty, etc.), then having our protagonist save the day. I figured this was par for the course, considering how WW2 has shaped Korean-Japanese relations. The author seemed like he was trying to show "nice racism", focusing his ire at the Japanese bureaucrats and explicitly saying, "but regular Japanese citizens are nice." Still, there's this weird scene where a Japanese Special Defense Force Officer tries to convince a Japanese doctor to evacuate by threatening to kill the doctor/doctor's wife. Strange bluff, pretty stupid. I didn't see the point (of this racism).

Then we get a fight with a major powerhouse and the author describes the character's background as "a white kid growing up in a black ghetto, but stronger than all the black people who wanted to hurt him. He knew power could make him a master or a slave." This racism was WAY too much for me, so I'm dropping this mediocre entertainment like the sack of hot garbage it is. Honestly, I hope Jaimini's Box drops this trash, too.

Anyway, stay in school. Don't do racism. And don't read this stupid series.

Aggregator gang
@origamicactus first of all: why are you picking the Ln? This place is to discuss the manga

second: there huge difference between a racist novel and a novel that depict racism, this chapter belong to latter, dont mix up the two thing.

btw, it kinda reminds me of 8mile

Fed-Kun's army
@Vicic I wrote what I did b/c the comic follows the LN. Maybe (hopefully) the comic deviates from the LN at this section.

Sounds like you're the one mixing things up. If you're unable to understand how bad this writing is, I can only wish you the best. Your low reading comprehension is your own problem.

bye

Aggregator gang
Ok, I'm deeply sorry, your opinion is truly superior and you reading and critical skill are immesuarable,

Goodbye @origamicactus, I hope you can enlightened us again with your wisdom

Dex-chan lover
I don't know what part of this manga is racist. I don't argue that the plot is not that good and it is bad written in some cases. But you are exaggerating things @origamicactus. Just because the power level of some nation is more powerful than the others is not meant that they are being racist. A racist reasoning is always nonsense but this story still have a reason that is jungle law. Compared to "The gamer", racism depicted in this is still soft if you have read them. And i don't called both of them racist content. I wonder if you mixed things up

pack it up boys, the part of the isekai where the mc becomes overpowered and cruises through everything and the plot disappears has happened. Art is still amazing as ever though.

@origamicactus You're exaggerating.... this is why i sometimes cringe by some internet people with their SJW and snowflakes agenda, if only we live in a time where movie like Pulp Fiction can still exist. Expecially as a manga & manhwa reader myself, ex : i read the Death Note sequel where the author blatantly mocking the US president. Point is, this is still soft and not something we should make fuss about, the story itself didn't actually describe one country is superior to other, all of them are the same, they have good and bad people.

But i agree, if this wants to get animated by Japanese studio, there's nothing harmful in changing the name of country for precaution.

Group Leader
I make change comic cover for solo leveling.
Original picture by BeatingByter from reddit with little bit tweak by me. I hope the looks better because great story need great art/cover.

@ Lightprayer The cover was just mix best part from comic with some redraw in part that blur during remove background. So it about 10% edit. Not total remake/fanmade.
Ok ok only official cover. You win.

Dex-chan lover
https://twitter.com/dncwebtoon3/status/1240204378453078018

Solo Leveling S1 is now complete and they'll go on a break before resuming

[ul]finish ch 110
step into cryopod
let the apocalypse pass
wake up when S2 begins[/ul]

Dex-chan lover
This so felt like a season ender. Am I wrong to feel that Jin has become'd so "Tuned in" to the gate environment it's no longer working but like a holiday to him ?

Users who are viewing this thread