Solo Leveling

Double-page supporter
I don't know how this is so popular, to the point the fans functionally DDoS this site every time a new chapter releases. Like, I'm glad people have something they enjoy, but it sucks that it's so popular it causes issues for the entire website, lol. Seriously I'm curious, why the heck is this so absurdly popular?

Power Uploader
@evergreen_oak This manhwa isn't that popular when you think about it. I mean yeah, sure, this is the most popular manhwa in almost all manga reading sites, but when you compare it to mangas like Attack on Titan, Solo Leveling's popularity looks slim. I always read Solo Leveling the moment a new chapter comes out, I had no problem reading it so I don't know what DDoS you are talking about. One of the reasons for the site to lag so much is that Solo Leveling scanlators always upload on MangaDex first, which is why many people try to read at MangaDex at once, which causes the site to lag a little, but only a little. Attack on Titan and One Piece should be a way more popular than Solo Leveling, but go to their manga page, they barely have any chapters, so why will people read it? Solo Leveling is popular on MangaDex because like I said before, scanlators upload on MD first.

Another reason for whatever popularity it's got is that Solo Leveling is a power fantasy. Think about it, how many good power fantasy do we get every year, a very small amount. There is a serious lack of good power fantasy's out there, then comes Solo Leveling. While the premise of Solo Leveling isn't original at all and the main character is basically a Gary Stu, the story also reuses the common power fantasy tropes seen in Japanese manga, but regardless of all that, Solo Leveling is still loved, that's because its a better power fantasy than your usual trash isekai. Solo Leveling is a solid 8/10, it's no masterpiece (Like some people claim). Earlier some retarded guy was comparing Solo Leveling to Berserk, saying that Solo Leveling is as much of a masterpiece as Berserk, those people are retarded. Yes, Solo Leveling is overhyped, but you'll enjoy it if you can avoid their retarded community and just read it for what it is.

Dunno why other people are crying whenever there's a release. Its a good story so, why not? Dont want hassles? - read it at a later time duuuuuuuuuuh 🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄

Seems like it’s picking up the pace? Hopefully, I wanna get the feeling of excitedly waiting for a new chapter rather than forgetting there even was a chapter released.

@tlumin See this is what I hate about korean manwhas, they all just move on with the story in an inhumane speed. The main character goes from bum to god but everything else is just a 1 time use.

Group Leader
Dude, I don’t think Berserk’s even that good. People just like having a boner for it.

The best thing to you is what you enjoy the most, and nothing is going to change that.

Well, it's the opposite for me. I can't see Solo Leveling as being anywhere near Berserk's level, but that's just target demographics at work. Solo Leveling is intended for teenagers and gamers I assume while Berserk is more focused on adult themes. So yeah, people are going to have divided opinions about them.

@tlumin
wtf, she was introduced as a character and given a whole deal of background and then removed from the story ? Lol, atleast have her as a summon or something. yikes

I don't know I never really got into beserk. It's just way to into itself. Kinda like neon genesis evangelian. Not to mention that we only get like 1 chapter of beserk every 6-7 months

Solo Leveling is fine to be honest,its like a bag of chips,decent but nothing good,nothing wonderful. I just wonder why this is rated 9.31,its more like 7.80 in my opinion.The characters are decent,setting still needs a little more info,battles are pretty good,and the MC isn't some edge lord,300 IQ chess master,or dumb ass with a heart.Hes just kinda your average guy getting stronger while becoming alienating himself from humanity because of the absence of his limiter and becoming closer to a god. I think my other gripe is that almost all the characters powers and abilities feel a little too samey and boring.

@CptHornSwoggle
sorry for the late reply, i didn't really touch notifications that much.

Kingdom is a manga based on warring states of china. It is a manga that loosely adapted the history of china (7 warring states).
This manga is all about wars. It's pure action. The MC works his way up from being a slave to strongest general.
You will see strong Generals duels each other, war being fought by a hundred thousand units of soldiers,
tactics being a crucial element to win their wars, and politics as another face of the manga.
It's demographic should be Seinen but it has the shonen elements. (If you remove the gore elements and some nudity in it, it could pass as a shonen manga)
I suggest you try to read it if you like action types of manga.
Also, don't try to watch the Kingdom anime, you will just waste your time watching it. But the live action movie is pretty decent.

https://mangadex.org/title/642/kingdom

Fed-Kun's army
@mindme thanks ill give it a go and seems im reading manga more then watching anime as of late. Seeing as how much goes into the manga and doesn't come out in the anime versions.

There are several instances in which the author calls back to previous events in the story (like the first boss that slaughtered his party that was shown again recently). However while there seems to be some attempt to create a main narrative (a main dilemma that is faced by the story's characters), the author does not have a good track record of doing so. Many characters seem trivial, and are either seen forgotten after introduction, or introduced for the sake of being fodder. (We havn't seen that B-ranked healer who has PTSD in quite a while have we now?)
The JuJu island arc for example had a build up of several chapters, only for the MC to go in and sweep it up quickly after the long struggles of the other hunters (some of whom seem to be introduced just to be killed off as fodder). In this sense the story does seem to devolve into a more edgy one-punch-man.
I hope the current arc we are seeing now ties in more neatly into the larger narrative that was presented in the beginning of season 2 - that there are other powerful forces in play besides the MC, rather than a chain of mini events that each individually increases the power of the MC, while casually leaving behind a trail of expendable, forgettable characters.

Users who are viewing this thread