Sousou no Frieren - Ch. 124 - The Shadow Warrior

Dex-chan lover
What historical states would you consider an exception? I'm genuinely curious.
Although the notions of justice have more often than not been misguided, revolutionary states have often been begun in sincere attempts to create instruments of justice. These states have always been co-opted, with the more misguided attempts being more swiftly and terribly turned to other purposes.

I'd point to attempts to create liberal republics, such as in some of the constituent states of America (eg, Vermont), as exceptions at their outsets.

Dex-chan lover
Because this wouldn't fit the Empire best interest, it is more likely that is caused by something who infiltrated the Empire (and doesn't care on how well the Empire resources are used), it is more likely that glasses guy is a demon or obeys a demon.
Empire lasted like a thousand years, as the frontline of humanity's fight against the demons, and then the demon king was defeated. The list was probably people who could tip the balance in the fight, for or against the empire, which would have ended the Empire's whole deal, and they did, the empire crumbled without the war.

Dex-chan lover
I hope this isn't just a one off plot with a quick resolution. I really want some heavy plot.
You need to pay more attention, we've been having hints that the empire is kinda going down/very corrupted. This is continuing that storyline. I'm sure they will defeat the old man within the next chapter, but it will make them slowly discover more about how corrupted the empire is.

If you don't think that's "heavy plot" then well, too bad for you.

(I'm not sure if Frieren will care to solve empire politics problems though.)

anw thanks for the chapter!

Fed-Kun's army
I hate how reckless Stark was. He lost without a fight because he had his weapon on his back, instead of holding it in hand like he should've. He wasn't able to reach for it quickly enough. All because he didn't take the threat seriously enough. If you know, you're up against a seasoned warrior and that even someone as powerful as Frieren is wary of him, don't let your guard down like this. Be prepared for a fight. Even if he had lost that fight anyway, it wouldn't have looked so bad if he put up some fight instead of getting knocked out immediately.

On a more lighthearted note: I like how Fern is okay with being carried by Stark now and not calling him a pervert for proposing it. Even if the scene was comedic.

Last edited:
Fed-Kun's army
Theory: The Empire is disposing of adventurers famous for killing demons so that the threat of demons doesn't die because if they are not a threat anymore humans will start to fight amongst themselves and the empire will fall.

Dex-chan lover
Wow..... Frieren is now turned into politic arc story.

Human is now in peaceful era where their "common enemy" is gone.
But, just like in The End of Evangelion, the real threat is the human themselves. Specifically, the greed of humanity.

Their real peace is actually when the demon lord still exist right ?

Dex-chan lover
So, a bit of a reminder on the history of the Empire. The Empire once united the whole of the continent under its rule. This means that originally the Empire was fighting wars with other factions of humanity to conquer them and succeeded. This period of conquest ended (according to Flamme) when the Demon King appeared and started uniting the demons. The demons' homeland is actually closer to the imperial capital in the north than the capital is to the rest of the continent, so probably the Empire was forced to withdraw its forces from the south and central regions to fight the demons, leading to independence for the states previously under their control there. The Empire then instituted a policy of persecution against the mages because they considered all magic not originating from the Goddess to be the same - i.e. demonic. This came from a misunderstanding of how demon curses worked. You might ask how the Empire would have been able to fight the demons then, but actually Goddess magic contains a lot of spells that could be used on the offensive, and priests blessed by the Goddess are literally immune to non-physical demon curses (and probably some physical demon magic too). This was enough for a while.

What changed was that Flamme was then able to convince the Empire to start employing mages, and they responded positively by granting mages the same respectful position in society priests had. This may be why the identifying marker of the Great Mage inherited by Frieren from Flamme is a Holy Emblem - the Empire was basically saying Great Mages were the same as high priests in status. Using the Imperial Mages, the Empire was not only able to fight off the demons but actually regain territory and expand again in the north. They also had a warrior nobility and a knight corps who were at least as strong as, and in many cases stronger than, heroic warriors like Himmel and Stark. Once the DK was defeated by the Hero Party, things even turned bad for the demons, with Imperial Knights actively hunting down demons who continued to make trouble for the Empire. When Macht faced off with the knight hunting him down, the assumption was that even a Great Demon like him should have been worried that the knights were starting to actively hunt him. Of course, Macht was so powerful that this was never the case for him (and the knight very badly underestimated him). However, it's clear from their conversation that the knights were usually enough to even threaten Great Demons. After all, Solitar thought Himmel was strong enough to take her out by himself, although at the cost of her death rampage wrecking the world. Some knights might actually be as strong as Himmel and might have been able to take down Solitar-level Great Demons.

However, this is all from over 50 years ago. During the intervening time something happened in the mighty Empire. The warrior nobility like the Armee family started losing power. The Imperial Knights who once could challenge Great Demons are no longer as effective or powerful. The Imperial Mages seem to have degraded in quality and numbers through infighting in the court, with some of the most powerful straight out being ostracized and ruined as shown in Denken and Lernen's flashbacks. The rot has set in and the Empire seems to be in decline from the usual human infighting.

Dex-chan lover
The list is clearly ourdated, but this is a nice arc, actually.

Boy, I love the writing in this manga so much.

Double-page supporter
It's strange that this guy was sent here 30 years ago. Himmel died 31 years ago. So this list was created one year after Himmel passed away, and something like 50 years after the defeat of the demon king (I forget how much time passed between the defeat of the demon king and Himmel's death). And it aims specifically at keeping these people away from the capital, not hunting them down where they may be.

It does feel like it may be related to stray demons taking over the Empire after the defeat of the demon king. There's no reason to worry about Frieren otherwise, and to put her on a list a year after Himmel's death. And a demon sounds like the kind of being who would put a human on a task for 30 years and keep them there until it is done.

Stark has fought countless time against humanoid combatant while training with multiple masters on the road and all his childhood(remember he's coming from a warrior village) and then with his dwarf master, he is actually thr most fit in all his team to fight non mage combattant.

Fed-Kun's army
Stark has the skills, the strength most certainly, but not the attitude. The old man even pointed it out, more or less. In the encounter, Stark's stance till almost the end was that they could just talk it out.
That's the most frustrating part about it. I would prefer if he at least exchanged some blows with the man. But he didn't even get the chance to reach for his axe. Despite traveling with Frieren for 3 years and facing multiple strong opponents he hasn't grown that much.

Dex-chan lover
My boy stark need more spot light (in term of fight). The first and the last time he shown as capable and strong warrior is when he solo dragon without taking any damage in early chapter.

After that I feel like he only become punching bag and meat shield. Even tho he still win, he is taking too much damage compare to frieren or fren when fighting.

I just hope that stark not actually faint from that kick. He is absurdly durable and has tank more damage than that after all.

My boy stark need more spot light (in term of fight). The first and the last time he shown as capable and strong warrior is when he solo dragon without taking any damage in early chapter.

After that I feel like he only become punching bag and meat shield. Even tho he still win, he is taking too much damage compare to frieren or fren when fighting.

I just hope that stark not actually faint from that kick. He is absurdly durable and has tank more damage than that after all.
But he is a tank? That's the tank's job

Users who are viewing this thread