Sousou no Frieren - Vol. 3 Ch. 22 - Scales of Obedience

Dex-chan lover
The scales were tipping towards Frieren even before the fireworks... but she had to do it anyway, to show Aura who's the boss. Get rekt, demon.

Dex-chan lover
@rrolo1 it wasn't 'can't limit' in the sense of being unable to do so, but that they can't live that way, always keeping their power hidden, because it damages their status with other demons. The three captains camouflaged themselves temporarily as a tactic, which is different from Frieren never showing her power at all.

Dex-chan lover
@rrolo1 it's more like demons can't hide their mana for long. To them it's like breathing - you can hold your breath for a short while if you think it might alert your enemies, but you can't hold your breath forever.

Psychologically demons don't work together for normal human reasons. They work together when one is stronger than the other. As such to demons they have to broadcast their superiority over other demons or they lose their right to rule over the others. And that leads to them being taken advantage of. They can't hide their mana over an extended period.

I have assumed that demons are actually artificial beings, honestly. They seem too perfect as beings designed to fight humans and other beings like them.

Dex-chan lover
As I expected (okay, I expected maybe the entire mountain ridge to light up), but yeah. Great story nonetheless

Also the most satisfying kys I've ever seen.

Double-page supporter
I would have had chained Aura to a much worse fate -- make her turn on her own demon-kin and ruthlessly slaughter them all before making her kill herself. Frieren spoiled a good opportunity to have a useful pawn/spy. But I suppose it was probably for the best anyway since leaving a demon like her alive might have given Aura a chance to find some way to break free of Frieren's control.

And here for a moment I had a thought that Frieren might have made herself an all ladies harem. Welp! There goes my faith in Japanese manga sticking to tropes.

Dex-chan lover
I almost feel bad for Aura. She's lived longer than any demon, being ultimately superior to almost all. But then she gets done in due to her own (and the demon race's) superiority complex.
Then I remember that a demon's existence is only there to combat humans with no form of sympathy towards them.
I think they can have sympathy towards one another since when Linnie died, Lugner got distracted enough to let Fern get a killing blow on him.

Imagine spending your whole life pretending your left arm was paralyzed, only so you can one day get the drop on someone in a fight by using it. That's how limiting their mana looks to demons

this is the most badass full power release I have ever seen and if anyone have seen something like this please mention me

Dex-chan lover
So anticlimatic. Badass, but it's not fresh, if you can see it from 300 miles away. I also don't get why demons wouldn't limit their power in war. Just establish an rank order before and adjust it, when nobody else is around. I wasn't sure it would work, as I couldn't imagine, that the demon mastermind is so naive.

Dex-chan lover
Hair color is pink.
I'm interested about the story between Aura, the demon king and the party 80 years ago. First, looks like she had the scales even back then. But why didn't she became the demon king back then? If that demon king was stronger, why didn't he take the scales from her? "You can't equip more than one magical item"? Then what did he have? And how the party defeated Aura? More interesting, how did she flee? With scales. I understand that these flashbacks are schematic, but it looks like they somehow left her without the scales.
Also, mmmm, finally a glimpse of demon king. I don't think I was looking forward to flashbacks so much ever before.
I like how Flamme taught Frieren. I like how she instilled the love of magic. To think of, magic that makes the flower bed is incredibly beatiful in itself.
Snowmen again! I love them! The best way to show the flow of time is snowmen! I still believe that Frieren is making them. Maybe she has a magic for that. Lolol
I love how her magic growth was shown. Her 1/10th. And by the way she had changed a lot of outfits before she met the party. Nice detail.
And ohhhhhhhhh, I love how her encounter with Himmel resembles that with Flamme! Kyaaaa!
As Aura brags that she didn't notice that Frieren was limiting her mana, you know, Lugner didn't notice it even with Fern. And Fern was trained for, like15 years? I understand that Lugner had less experience, but still, this technique can be acquired in such a short period of time. According to Frieren, 15 years pass in a blink of an eye.
I'm interested, what part of armor army did Frieren destroy so far? More than a half, at least? If Frieren was worrying that she could be exhausted, (seeing how much mana she had in the end) it sounds like she destroyed only 1/10th. But Aura thinks that Frieren destroyed the majority of her army, and it's even drawn like only 1/10th left....hmmmmm, strange.
And finally, showdown. Last two pages. Simply epic. Each and every panel. Frieren's full power. Aura's eyes.
It's pretty symbolic that in the end Aura literally killed herself. Her arrogance killed her.
Btw these tears impressed me a lot. My best guess that it's because of her anger that she was tricked and can't do anything in the end.
Talking about world inconsistencies, I'd like to talk about the future of the scales. Frieren could take them and sell later for money magic. Well, honestly, I'd keep them for myself, for the future, and started my training in the meanwhile. A dream of any person tired of internet trolls powerful being: you tell them "kill yourslef" and they actually do it.

I love how there was no need to show any fancy spell or epic fight, Frieren just fought some corpses and waited for Aura to use her scales and bim bam boom the work is done.
I mean, I bet a lot of people waited for some epic fight or an One-shot Explosion by Frieren since the Fren and Stark vs the demons fight but then Frieren basically did nothing in this fight, she just decieved Aura and let her fall on her own

v3

Aggregator gang
@Qelix it wasn't supposed to be a surprise or anything, there's been many chapters leading to this very moment. I guess you are too much of a retard to realize it

Users who are viewing this thread