Sousou no Frieren - Vol. 3 Ch. 22 - Scales of Obedience

I will gladly be the 500th comment just to say: wtf there is really people in the comments discussing the fact that this was a short battle? that it didnt had any twist? lmao I like it this way more than god-knows how many chapters of Aura and Frieren out-smarting each other. Aura messed up, Frieren knew she would mess up, and thats it, no need of big brain moves, sometimas thats how it works.

People still complaining that the FICTIONAL DEMONS don't act like humans nor animals wth this is the first time that I see so many people complainig about how fictional beings act in a fantasy history.

Literally this chapter and the previous one explained that Demons base their status/how their society works on mana and because of this is not normal for them to hide it/they dont find any advantage on hiding it and thats why they don't expect other species to do it/do it all the time.

[ol]"We demons devote our lives researching one particular magic throughout our long live spans"
"Demons have confidence and faith in the magic they've devoted to up until now... In other words they are stupidly arrogant and careless"
"Mana to them are what status and wealth are to humans. You could call it their very dignity... Even if you temporaly limit your mana as a means of secrecy... there isn't any fool out there who would constantly limit it"
"Moreover, the demon world isnt generous enough to confer dignity to those with little mana... Hence, they desperately exhibit their mana like a powerful demon does. There isn't a single merit to them constantly limiting their magic, so... they don't have such a thought in the first place"
"Try to limitng the mana you release than a tenth"
"By the way, How long must I limit this mana? I'll get tired if this take too long though"
"It would've be hazardous if I continued to be pressured by your army like this, but... Im glad you had confidence on your mana"
"I didn't ses a hint of instability from the restriction of your mana"
"Why Would you do such an unjustified thing..." "Yeah, It does seem foolish. However, I can defeat you demons that way"
"I'm a great demon who has lived (researching magic) for over five hundred years"
"The one standing before you right now is a mage who has lived(researching magic) for at least a millenium"
"Like demons decieving people with their words, you will decieve demons with your mana"[/ol]

The only reason Aura failed that easily with her OWN Magic was because Frieren's mana, technique and magic has been trained for at least a MILLENIUM to counter Demons, She is not a prodigy, she just has been training her WHOLE life to kill demons, specially in a 1vs1 fight. You may dont like it, but it wasnt unjustified. Since the start of this arc we have been leading to he ultimate conclusion that: Frieren was gonna win. Don't tell me you all wanted a big brain epic moment with some sort of asspull where we see Aura winning over Frieren and then out-smarting each other for who knows how many chapters. As how happened to Qual, Aura was too over confident and was tricked by Frieren in her own game.

Aggregator gang
@sssr My apologies, rereading back to AAASSS1's comment, I can see where you would feel the need to correct us. I was interpreting their comment as something of a joke.

I'm aware of all the work (and the time needed) she and Flamme spent training themselves in magic; all your points are entirely valid, and I agree with all of them wholeheartedly. I was focusing in particular on their specific choice of hiding their true mana as their means to hunt and destroy demons, because the way the races deal with mana throughout the series is so fascinating to me.

The way I see it, you can frame it as Freiren and Flamme's (and possibly even the author's, assuming this was purposeful) foil to how demons hunt humans. Demons use "words" - language, arguably one of the most universally used tools of mankind - as their way of finding weakness and lowering a humans guard. Freiren and Flamme use mana - something universally sensed and gauged by demonkind - for the exact same purpose. It's such a basic and effective concept that I find the societal reasons for NOT using it across races so interesting. Demons I get not doing it because of how their society works. Most humans can't live long enough to compare. Dwarves and elves, though...

Dex-chan lover
@Salfaro my take is that she literally had to. When they're restricting their mana they're literally restricting it. So if Frieren hadn't stopped restricting it the scale would have worked and made her obey Aura. By releasing her mana, only then the scale could accurately measure her mana. WIthout doing that Aura would have won.

In any case amazing arc and this has one of the best pages of manga I've ever seen

Just noticed on page 12/13 during the time passing montage the little village she walks by becomes the royal Capitol from the first few chapters.

Dex-chan lover
@justanothermanganerd Eh, I don't think that's the case, because the scales had already tipped towards Frieren before she released her mana, which makes sense since it's weighing the content of your soul and not just your power output. Since Frieren apparently held it throughout her travels with the hero party too, I don't think her limiting it actually has any effect on her power output or her actual magic ability, it's just typical anime "hiding your aura" business. But if that was the official explanation, I guess I could buy it.

Dex-chan lover
@Doomroar As seen on page 15, Aura was defeated by Himmel, not Frieren... seems like she didn't have a chance to activate the scale. Though we don't know why she's not dead.

Something I didnt see mentioned much in the comments: The return of Chad Himmel. In most good adventure stories, the Hero's main talent is having a good instinct and behold, Himmel just knows Frieren's potential from one look at her despite not being initiated to the art of magic :p
Also, this might be the first time we see the Demon King? Page 15 bottom left.

Users who are viewing this thread