Sousou no Frieren - Vol. 3 Ch. 22 - Scales of Obedience

Dex-chan lover
@sssr
Indeed, I overlooked that.

@rrolo1

Indeed, I didn't recall certain important details so my assumptions were way off.

On 5, I believe that assuming that they were selected is incorrect. We really don't know how advanced demon society is, nor how much of it is left. Aura being alone as the attacking force against the human city suggests that they weren't working with any other demons. I mean, why not gather all of their forces and feast on humans once the barrier is down? As far as we can tell, the extent of organisation of demons are a few working together.

I would also say that the demon king was an exceptional being who had gathered many demons under him and that probably was the closest demons came to have a society. Otherwise, we don't know how demons are born, since they don't have parents and every instance of child demons appeared to be wandering alone, it suggests that they start out isolated. When they meet another demon, it's a rare event of finding another being that shares the same goal and the same value; it's useful to have allies so under these assumptions, I would see it as odd for them to seek to destroy one another.

I'm also assuming demons don't reproduce, and it would be quite weird if it were wrong. Their gender is seemingly only for the sake of mimicry.

On 3, we don't have enough information, but the way I view demons, I believe it is true. I see them as having little activity outside of refining their magic. All demons indicate that they essentially dedicate themselves to their magic. It seems to be part of their mindset, so barring random events and experiences they would certainly practice for as much time as possible.

On 1, I don't believe this assumption was at all necessary. The assumption I was actually making was that the rate of expansion of mana capacity through training was the same for everyone (which I figured might be true since Frieren mentions that no human can catch up to her, meaning that it simply isn't possible for any human to increase their mana capacity in an accelerated fashion enough to make up for the millenia of practice Frieren had). We know that mana capacity can be increased in a non negligible fashion from how it was displayed. So the quantity of mana you have at the start isn't all that important. I mean, let's say a demon has 1 unit worth of mana at birth while another had 100 which is a drastic difference. Then let's say that the rate of expansion of mana capacity through training was of 1 by year. The difference in mana capacity would always remain the same. This also means that whoever is born first would benefit from years of increasing their mana capacity. To be fair, this assumption is a wild guess, and perhaps there are limits to increasing your mana capacity or other rules.

Double-page supporter
This series is the fantasy manga formula brought to impeccable perfection and I fucking love every single page.
Hope it stays popular in japland and doesn't get the axe

can Aura just cancel the magic in the middle when she realize something wrong?

This chapter is nearly perfect. That almost chilled and aloof atmosphere permeating every action create a beautiful state of things

Group Leader
SCREAMS IN FANGIRL

oh my shit frieren you-
i-

this chapter just boosted the whole manga into one of my top 20 favorite mangas of all time
5 if you only count mangas and not manhwas/animes tho

I really like stories like this; where the villains are the underdog... Jujutsu Kaisen in another one and it's so freaking cool.

Demons use their mana to overpower and overwhelm, which matches up with Aura's plan to kill Frieren herself after casting the spell.

Frieren uses her mana to trick and turn demon's faith in their own power against them, so she uses her order to make Aura kill herself.

10 out of 10 chapter.

Users who are viewing this thread