Sousou no Frieren - Vol. 3 Ch. 22 - Scales of Obedience

Dex-chan lover
2ah24z.jpg

@killercool @imahuman

The text says that they can't , not me. I understand the reasoning Flamme gives after ( basically fat orc rules skinny orc , so there is not point in fasting ) and it actually makes some sense ( some human rich people actually like to not flaunt their riches and power, so her comparison is slightly flawed , but the gist of it is plausible ), but it is her that started the text saying what I quoted :p

That said, there are two problems with that thesis:

a) Aura clearly already fought someone that was limiting their mana ... because she knows how to spot someone faking it ( or atleast faking it not as well as Frieren ). If it was so weird between demons to hide their power, from who she learned that? And don't say humans or elves, because all points out that humans and elves also do not have the habit of disguising their mana levels and anyway, it would be unwise to pull that one in front of someone that can weight it unless you thought you could beat her like Frieren does ... we know for a fact that no human could even hold a candle to Aura, with the best one only managing to partly resist her and even Frieren says she doesn't see another of her kind in centuries. That basically leaves another demon for that part ...

b) Related to that, even if demons are so averse to disguise their power ( something clearly stupid IMHO, especially in a society like the demon one is hinted to be. RL animals with that kind of structure normally only flaunt their power when they are in the top of the chain, while the rest most of the times disguise their strenght in the hopes of a opening to catch the now powerful ones by surprise ), why are the humans and the elves also so unwilling to do so? It is not that there is any real advantage to telegraphing your true power to any potentially hostile mage in the surroundings ...

Double-page supporter
Everyone has adequately expressed the reaction I felt to this. I have no words to further describe.

Dex-chan lover
I’m slightly disappointed there wasn’t drama about abusing the instruction. Aura could have tried pulling a kamikaze under such vague instructions as “kill yourself”.

Fed-Kun's army
Okay, so, about Frieren's age.
Based on all the details here and there about her past that we've gotten so far, Frieren is likely always several thousands of years old.
- It's been almost a century since the Hero died (about 80 something years);
- Frieren journeyed with the Hero for 10 years (so it's been 90 something years since she met the Hero);
- Frieren studied under Flamme about 1000 years before meeting the Hero;
- Frieren didn't age a day in those 1090 something years;
- So, even if Elves age faster when going from the infant state to that of a young teen, Frieren must've already lived an incredibly long time, even if just leisurely like most Elves are implied to live. The way it was presented in the flashback made it seem as though she didn't have much magical training and simply had a lot of talent (including mana). This is in my opinion why she said that she is a "mage that has lived for at least a millenium" rather than "an elf that has lived [however long she had lived]." After all, the focus on a mage's mana has so far been presented as not only the one from birth, but more so how long one has trained as a mage. When Frieren said (in her mind) that "Mana fundamentally increases in proportion to the years of training you accumulate," that was when I realized how much mana she actually had. I though it would just end up being with Frieren having the same full force mana as in the flashback, but damn was I wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread