Sousou no Frieren - Vol. 4 Ch. 32 - Orden Family

Dex-chan lover
As a short three or four chapter arc with more substance, this could have been good. As is, it was almost thin as air.

Dex-chan lover
"I shall plesure myself with this cake"
-t. Elf mama, after renting off her son to a noble

Dex-chan lover
The chapter was great and all

But look at that extra art too! So cute!

Also, it seems that the word "mama" hits particularly bad with Frieren. Funnily enough she's more of a daughter character with Fern taking the place of the mother and the priest the one of the weird but cool uncle.

Stark is obviously bb

Dex-chan lover
thanks for the good translations :D, this was a little bit of a mellow and warm chap huh

Is the dead guy's name really supposed to be Wirth? Because that'd break the pattern of using German words as names. Wirt (host), Wird (becomes) or Würde (dignity) would seem more likely. Especially Würde, as it fits with Orden (knightly or monastic order) and Mut (Bravery / Valor).

Dex-chan lover
Lots of German:

Schwer Mountains = Heavy Mountains
Vorig = before, previous
Äußerst = I assume the author means outer and not extremely
Lord Orden = Lord Medal (in the military sense)
Klee region = Clover egion
Wirth = a family name, I'm probably missing something that might make more sense when you consider his brother's name, but no clue
Gabel = fork (lol) but it's just another family name
Mut = courage, bravery

Dex-chan lover
@Ulfhednar The literal is "Viruto" or "Wiruto". Japanese Wikipedia claims it is Wirth, Wild, or Wildt, with the most common being the first. Google is the same.

https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%83%B4%E3%82%A3%E3%83%AB%E3%83%88

You're free to offer a better suggestion, but I always go by most common interpretation on Google.

Dex-chan lover
@zStella

I guess Wild would make more sense since it means wild, but why wouldn't it be just ヴィルド then? It's such a pain when Japanese arbitrarily transcribe names.

Dex-chan lover
@Zhou I don't think the author themself investigates deeply into the German names they choose; it's probably whatever sounds cool when they put some lines through Google Translate or something. It's why often times they get adjectives mixed up as nouns and vice versa. There was only one time where the author explicitly wrote out a German word/name, but even then it was sort of misspelled.

@Zhou

Orden could also be order as in an order of knights

@zStella Out of those Wild would make most sense. The others are simply names while Wild means..well....wild.

I did wonder if it maybe also could be Wird. A bit iffy to translate to english but for the sake of the argument it would be used as in 'to become' which would make sense because until his death he was the heir apparent.

Dex-chan lover
@Raknasuu well, Fern has her moments, of course, but I feel it's worth noting that she's Frieren's apprentice, and household servitude is usually implied in that relationship in traditional Japanese understanding, right? Like, Fern brushing Frieren's hair and waking her up on time is no different from an apprentice smith cooking for his master's family, etc.

Staff
Super Moderator
Lots of German:

Schwer Mountains = Heavy Mountains
Vorig = before, previous
Äußerst = I assume the author means outer and not extremely
Klee region = Clover egion
Wirth = a family name, I'm probably missing something that might make more sense when you consider his brother's name, but no clue
Gabel = fork (lol) but it's just another family name
Mut = courage, bravery
@Zhou as a German, the names that contain German are funny to me. I always have something nice to laugh about when names appear in Frieren 😂

Staff
Super Moderator
Orden could also be order as in an order of knights
@MrKangaroo award/award of honor[1] or community/group[2] could also be a translation (besides knights stuff) for Orden

The only reason I can see that Fern and Stark would be set up together, would be to have Frieren-mama realize how Himmel saw her and her own feelings towards him, unrequited or otherwise.

Thank you for the lovely translation as always, KireiCake.

Dex-chan lover
W-Was the point of this chapter just to show Fern/Stark dancing? lol

I'm not complaining cuz I ship it, but this development ("Hey you! You look like my son, wanna train for 3 months to attend a ballroom for some gold?") feels so random.

Dex-chan lover
@zStella

You would think they would just ask for help at the right language department from the nearest university. It's so simple.

@MrKangaroo

I know, I decided against it, but it makes more sense in hindsight since it's a family name. My bad.

@Steamarino

Imagine if they licensed it in Germany and how they would roll their eyes when they are translating it.

Users who are viewing this thread