Sousou no Frieren - Vol. 4 Ch. 32 - Orden Family

God this manga is wholesome, funny, dark, everything you could ask for in a story. I love it so much and thank you for translating it

That little smile from Fern.

LET'S GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

kJSe7kf.png

Staff
Super Moderator
Imagine if they licensed it in Germany and how they would roll their eyes when they are translating it.
@Zhou all the funny little German words OwO

Äußerst = I assume the author means outer and not extremely
Yes. It means outer. The translation into German has several meanings. But that comes closest to the meaning used here :)
Wirth = a family name, I'm probably missing something that might make more sense when you consider his brother's name, but no clue
I don't think it's German 🤔

Dex-chan lover
@danvbolodar

Yes, indeed. Nice catch!

The thing with Fern is that other than for training purposes Frieren never asked Fern to do this kind of tasks. It certainly feels like Fern's role as the responsible but not in charge figure in the party came naturally as she grew fond of Frieren and as time advances, Stark too.

Dex-chan lover
@Zhou

I guess Wild would make more sense since it means wild, but why wouldn't it be just ヴィルド then? It's such a pain when Japanese arbitrarily transcribe names.

No, it wouldn’t be ヴィルド, because German words have a final consonant devoicing, meaning that the last consonant of a word it pronounced devoiced, i.e. Weg is pronounced as Wek, Hund is pronounced as Hunt, wild is pronounced as wilt, and so on. Compare this with how these words are pronounced if they consonant is not the final phonem, e.g. Wege, Hunde, wildern, and suddenly the consonants are not devoiced anymore.

This phenomenon is not something that most German native speakers are actively aware of, but they do it subconsciously. So it’s not an arbitrary transcription by the Japanese, but a real observation on how German is pronounced.

Therefore Wild instead of Wildt would make more sense here considering that most names in this manga a simple words taken straight out of a (Japanese-)German dictionary, whereas Wildt is not a lexicalized word, but rather an obsolete spelling variant.

Dex-chan lover
Oh, a chapter without anything really heart wrenchi- SHIT, CHRISTMAS PAGE

Dex-chan lover
man i love this manga.. this whole chapter alone usually can be separated into 10 individual chapters.. but nope, one is enough 😂

@zStelly
The literal is "Viruto" or "Wiruto". Japanese Wikipedia claims it is Wirth, Wild, or Wildt, with the most common being the first. Google is the same.

https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%83%B4%E3%82%A3%E3%83%AB%E3%83%88

You're free to offer a better suggestion, but I always go by most common interpretation on Google.
Wiki is just listing People who's family names are transcribed as ウィルト, not semi-random words like this author uses. "Frieren", for example means "being cold". Good luck finding that on Wikipedia. You'd probably have better luck with a japanese jap-ger dictionary. Or having a tts read the japanese and getting a German to transcribe it.

Anyways, "Wild" also is a word, meaning either "wild" or "game animal". Though that would usually be transcribed ウィゥド.
"Wildt" is an old variant of "Wild", "Wirth" is an old variant of "Wirt". Both aren't used outside of names anymore.

"Wirt" is the closest to ウィルト by pronounciation. Though it makes no sense to call a deceased person a host / barkeeper, while "Wild" would somewhat fit for a guy that left home in anger.

@Zhou
I wouldn't say the japs arbitrarily transcribe. At least when it comes to German. Unlike English or French, you can actually write all sounds of the German language in katakana, only that some of those Kana are exclusive to German and thus hardly ever used. Benefits of being their oldest allies, I guess?
It's only when non-Germans try to guess the spelling that things get weird. For example, the German "L"-sound is written as a lowered vocal (ァォェィゥ) in Kana. Yet as the English "L" is written with the "R"-sounds, most people won't know how to read this.

@polemarch
Sorry to say, but you're completely wrong about German pronunciation. To pick the most obvious example:
"Weg" (Path) is pronounced "Weeg". "weg" (away) is pronounced "weg". "Wek" sounds like "Weck", which would mean either "small bread" or "wake" (in the command form, as in "wake x up").
Both high German (what is usually called German) and the South-, Central-, East- and Westgerman dialects don't have that devoicing you describe. According to German Wiki, some of the northern "dialects" do, but those are a virtually independent language that isn't even mutually intelligible with standard German most of the time.

Dex-chan lover
Great!
Fern's feelings are growing stronger for mama's boy

Dex-chan lover
When we see the story from Frieren pov, 3 month is just barely a moment.

Btw, that dance can be called romantic right? I want to see more on how far these two relationship has progress.

Users who are viewing this thread