Sousou no Frieren

Aggregator gang
What a wholesome story for anyone that likes to read fantasy stories, it leaves you satisfied to see her new journey/adventure.
Well after reading 32 chapters I solemnly enjoyed it :)

Double-page supporter
@ oh wow, didnt know they went to those lenghts. So whats the difference between chineese pirates and the scanlators on here- is it that one steals while the other buys the raws? Genuinly curious, i know all is illegal but i doubt kirei cake hacks into bookstores

Dex-chan lover
@AceTheBase Wow didn't expect such a conversation to be conducted on this series' thread : It's the same as yourself, and me. We're all pirates. So let's silence ourselves now and put on those eyepatches and set sail while solemnly reading this wonderful manga, can we?

Double-page supporter
@IdanaHamz
Sorry, worded it badly. Meant to ask how the scanlators (outside of china) got the raws, cuz i doubt the western scan groups steal and hack into bookstores. Edited my comment haha my bad

@Tradwel Its #2 in Amazing Manga 2021. #1 was Chainsaw Man.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Eo29xHFVoAAJOEC?format=jpg&name=medium

Double-page supporter
@Tradwel A person here mentioned how its doing and how it compared by oricon numbers, but it got drowned a bit by more comments. 20-25k week 1 and arround 50k in a month for all 3 volumes in a row? Which isnt really that amazing, but also not bad.

The volumes dont really manage to break Oricon top 50 on release week, so its a bit harder to get numbers for it. The best selling newcomer this year was Kaiju 8s vol 1 i think with 100k week 1. Do really love that 1 it reminds me so much of World Triggers tactical combat. Rare to see such good sequential art and its doing quite excellent for that.

I used to be an adventure like thou... then mee took an axe to the face, a kick to the leg and a spell into me balls. And I have also defeated the demon king.

The artist needs some help to inject some energy into the action sequences (the angles and poses could really be more dynamic) but it's a fairly interesting read otherwise.
Still, I can't help but feel the change in format really hurt this manga. The overall quality dropped a bit after the earlier chapters

@Tradwel @Zero13 Not to be a stickler but that's not right. While volume 1 did ~20-21k in 6 days, volume 2 did slightly better but in half the time (3d). Volume 3's barely been out three weeks and estimates have it selling just under 40k after 3d and roughly 70-74k in 10d, the increase likely due to advertisements about it placing 2nd in Kono Manga ga Sugoi! The backlog sales for volumes 1 and 2 also picked up because of that.

Double-page supporter
@sardonic
Well like said thats what the other poster said some pages back and he detailed it better too. For volume 1, 2 the numbers seem right with 20-25k week 1 and 50k prints in 1 month. Not sure if he just simplified it for volume 3, but i dont see it in oricon so eh whatever.

3 released a week before Christmas, which always buffs the sales, so i wouldnt be sure its just due to Kono Manga ga Sugoi!. If it boosted it thats good, but the editor picks are kinda just funny tbh.

Couldnt help but chuckle when i saw the male reader category. Might be just me though, but rank 3 with Kowloon Generic Romance especially was just laughably wrong. No sight of the actual best selling newcomer either.

@Zero13 Lol Christmas doesn't inflate numbers like that, especially not for a smaller series like Frieren. Volume 2 did roughly 40~44k in 3 weeks. Volume 3's estimates are in the ballpark of 70k in 10d and it's still holding up much better even a little over 3 weeks in - 2 weeks past Christmas - than volume 1 or 2 did in the same amount of time. The backlogs for 1 and 2 also picked back up again with volume 3's release. I highly doubt it's Christmas.

Oricon's top 50 is dominated by walls of Demon Slayer and JJK every week/month, with most of the remaining spots being taken up by other behemoths like AoT and TPN, the most recent Kingdom or OP volume, and CSM now. Depending on the releases that week/month, it can be hard to even crack top 50 for that time frame even if a series does sell pretty well on its release week. A smaller series like Maiko-san for example managed to crack Oricon's top 50 (#48) for the week of its v15 release with 24k sales over 4 days. Frieren v3 couldn't crack the top 50 for its release week (it ranked #56 by Shoseki's estimates) despite selling better and in a shorter period (3 days) because the threshold was quite a bit higher (the #50 cutoff was 38,074).

@sardonic and @Zero13 The manga seems to have sold around 550k almost as well as a ''couple of cuckoos'' and probably more or less than Kaiju no.8

Here's the source: https://animesweet.com/anime/sousou-no-frieren-is-shonen-sundays-new-hit-popularity-in-sales-and-on-the-internet/

Double-page supporter
@taffyx30

The Tweet that is the source is unavailable. So might have deleted it, because it was wrong or is it just not visible? Also seems like its shipped to stores not actual sales.

Kaiju 8 with only 1 Volume currently is sitting at 250k+ prints sold i think if u go after oricon? (Was at 170k in oricon on week 2 18th dec). If thats true Its blazing through the sales like spy x family did when it started end of 2019.

Edit: WSS Thread that mentioned it. Appearently the source for shipments wasnt real and deleted due to it. if even the WSS thread has 0 on it after that im pretty sure of it at least.

@Zero13 what are you talking about Kaiju no.8 sold 430k in 20 days even the editor confirmed this and it's destroying spy x familys record

Source: https://twitter.com/nakaji2017/status/1342361905000660992

Double-page supporter
@taffyx30 Oh you talked about shipped with digital for them. Oricon is lower, because no digital and only has sold prints not shipped. Good to hear kaiju 8 is doing that amazing and needed reprints with such a high 1st shipment for a manga with 1 volume. Never liked the authors previous work called Pochi Kuro though.

@Zero13 it's better to look at Shosekiranking sales though, and yeah Kaiju no.8 is probably one of the fastest selling manga with just one volume(released on 4th of December) and the volume is always on the top 50 selling 40k+ once volume 2 releases its gonna do even better

Users who are viewing this thread