Sousou no Frieren

Double-page supporter
This is, without a doubt, one of the BEST fantasy manga I have ever had the pleasure of reading. Actually, it may very well be THE best I've read. Theres something solemn about it that you can feel right from the first few pages, and while things seem nice and happy at times, you never lose that sense of times gone by, the yearning for the past. Its. So good.

Aggregator gang
I was not expecting much.... I was blown away! I'm not a big fan of slice of life, But the way they have made this it is so well made that I don't care that its slice of life. Normally slice of life is really boring to me but this one was genuinely funny, sad, it had me going through the feels. Looking forward to the rest! 10\10

Aggregator gang
@Zero13 I appreciate you not being a jerk about how you showed your opinion. I was interested to see if you were right when you said Fumetsu no Anata was a better version of this. I think Fumetsu no Anata is not as good. I felt that the characters were not very compelling. I personally think between these two manga that this one is a lot better.

Fumetsu no Anata Is a 6/10

Sousou no Frieren is a 10/10

I thought I would just say this for anyone who read zeros comment and felt deterred from reading this. I don't think this is for everyone and I wasn't expecting to enjoy Sousou no Frieren as much as I did but I really do love this story.

Aggregator gang
@ReWeeb
Well, like said it was an ok series not unenjoyable. For me was like a watered down Fumetsu that was alot more rushed. Also i really didnt like the Demon Arc at all.

Still prefer Saihate no Paladin over both for emotions either way, because of the well laid out story with a goal and an incredibly strong foundation for emotional flashbacks. Do love the Gugu arc alot in Fumetsu though. Easily the best arc in that series and for me pretty perfectly written.

Just was annoyed at people replying like you cant think this is worse or be disappointed. Is the only reason i even brought up the sales of both to show Fumetsu actually did much better back in 2016 and both fill the same niche premise.

Well, we already had some foreshadowing about Himmel feeling something more than mere friendship for Frieren, but this chapter pretty much confirmed it, who can judge him, I bet at least 50% ofthe people here was charmed by Frieren's weird shenanigans as well, the loli grandma, maybe later Frieren could relalize what she really feels about Himmel? since she herself doesn't know/isn't aware of it yet, I bet this journey is going to help her to realize her own feelings. I doubt she will go "Welp, I also loved him" but maybe at least she is gonna be able to be more sincere with him and be able to express her real feelings when they (hopefully) reunite.

Theres way way too many flashbacks, otherwise a basic adventure story just with a bit of drama. Absolutely hated the demon arc as i found it stupid and kinda killed the premise for me.

Either way why is this tagged slice of life though. Its a basic fantasy adventure manga just with some drama as the Demon Arc made pretty clear they have a set goal heading to the castle and its not daily life thats decided on a whim.

If this is slice of life then might as well slap that tag on Goblin Slayer or Berserk and like any other adventure fantasy. The amazing daily life of Guts and Goblin Slayer with their mundane everyday tasks of killing apostles and goblins.

Dex-chan lover
Glad I've followed this manga since chapter 1 and looked how successful it is now. Easily on my top 5.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4-uUKlC0BE&feature=emb_title

@Zero13 - I am saddened to see people offer this: "My 2nd biggest gripe was the boring emotionless expressions and dialogue we had for half the chapters thanks to Frieren" as a statement.

We certainly have views in what we find compelling and interesting. One of the things that makes Frieren is how subtle her expressions and emotions are conveyed. What is made clear through the story is that she does experience emotions, but they often sneak up upon her because she is not intrinsically aware of them. She is frequently surprised by a feeling hitting her, and the characters who spend time with her reflect upon this. One of my favorite moments of this subtle art is in https://mangadex.org/chapter/890789/29 - One of the things you'll notice is how Frieren clenches her hands when she's getting emotional. The author uses this a number of times to show when she's in distress without letting it appear on her face.

This is actually something that happens where the body begins reacting before the emotions reach a conscious level -- One thing to keep in mind, is I am not implying you are wrong for disliking Frieren or finding the story uninteresting. Just that she is not emotionless. Her emotions are subtle and expressed with a nuance of expression that may not read on first blush.

All that said: You have every right to your opinion, I hope this comment will give a little appreciation for some of the subtly in Frieren. As a fun side-game, try to find the times she clenches her hands like that. There's been a few.

- Also! Thank you for the recommendation, I'm going to give the manga you mention a try.

Aggregator gang
@MhaiWind Oh ye i got that, but its just i didnt like the choice of making so many characters that way in the story. If it were just frieren ok, but paired with the demons and others it was just a slog to go thru.

I really didnt like the choice they made on the demons or the arc as a whole. Thats where my interest kinda completely died. If people enjoy it they do, but i just didnt so not my cup of tea.

This story is truly magnificent. I doubt I have ever seen such a manga written so wisely as such an explicit way.

It certainly challenged many of the assumptions that many other manga hold. The idea of the goddess is a great example. Most manga regard religion as something like "superstition", "for the weak". But this manga show that there is more to it than meets the eye. That's just one of the many examples of the profundity of this story.

Another idea that might seems controversial, the idea that all demons are evil. They use words as tools to deceive and hurt other people. Some well-meaning people might accuse that as some kind of "racism", saying that you cannot demonize all of the demons merely because they belong to that particular "race".

But if history teaches us anything, it teaches us that self-delusion in the face of unpleasant facts is folly. Demons are different from human beings. They are not sentient. They have no emotion, no sympathy for the others. Their only goal - is the indefinite expansion of their power, and they would use anything, do anything to achieve that purpose. They have no morality, only status and power.

While some would come to believe that we could rehabilitate those creatures through "love" and "compassion", just like any other fairy tales... They don't understand the evil that exist in our world - evil is not something that cannot be defeated through appeasement

Been ages since I've ever seen a story so close to what the world actually is like, with race realism to boot. How mortifying that this theme isn't making appearances more often in place of wish-washy "we are all equal without individual circumstances". Seeing how popular this is, common Japanese folk are still resisting (((subversion))) so far.

this manga make me have a flashback about Violet Evergarden. Really well done story and also remind me why i like Violet anime that much

Fed-Kun's army
@ReWeeb I agree with you about Fumetsu no Anata. I got bored with it that I decided to drop it unlike Frieren who always makes me curious every chapter.

Users who are viewing this thread