Tag for single page chapters?

Dex-chan lover
Not too much of a problem but I’m not a fan of series that have just one page as a chapter. I think a tag for it wouldn’t hurt.

ESP now a days people seem to be uploading one page from an artists Twitter and calling it a “one-shot”

I don’t think that’s too much of an ask tbh.

I’m not saying these things are bad, but I’m just not a fan and it’s hard to tell from a glance without just clicking on it.

Upvote 33
+1

Expand it into 4 pages comic as well. There should be any distinction between serialized magazine one shot (with more than 20+ pages) and 1-4 pages twitter comics

I have enough of those posts spamming reddit timeline

Custom title
Staff
Developer
ESP now a days people seem to be uploading one page from an artists Twitter and calling it a “one-shot”
If it's actually used for a series with more than a single chapter, this would be mistagging so please report it.

If it's some random unrelated Twitter comics, there's no set procedure for this but the usual way has been to create kind of an "anthology" entry, like "XX's Twitter Comics" or something rather than having a separate title page for each and every little thing. I guess we should come up with a standard for that.

As for whether series with ≤4 pages per chapter need their own separate format tag, I'm not sure. "Web Comic" kind of largely overlaps with it already.

Dex-chan lover
If it's actually used for a series with more than a single chapter, this would be mistagging so please report it.

If it's some random unrelated Twitter comics, there's no set procedure for this but the usual way has been to create kind of an "anthology" entry, like "XX's Twitter Comics" or something rather than having a separate title page for each and every little thing. I guess we should come up with a standard for that.

As for whether series with ≤4 pages per chapter need their own separate format tag, I'm not sure. "Web Comic" kind of largely overlaps with it already.
im also talking about, just one page, it's just one picture. Not even a comic as well
328b9ea0ba82d7b4f12b1833c9a36c87.png

f739941af2f15d909b0b8dc487a8e44e.jpg

it's literally just one page.

Yeah. They're fun, but running across this style of pixiv/Twitter "oneshot" feels like dealing with YouTube's 'shorts' before they streamlined them into their own tab/category: it's not a lot of content for the time spent loading and navigating.
They definitely need a term, something with the same effect as 'shorts'. Or 'vines', lmao.

Custom title
Staff
Developer
im also talking about, just one page, it's just one picture. Not even a comic as well
Yeah so probably best to create a Twitter comics title entry and upload them under there, but like I said, we don't have specific rules or guidelines regarding this situation. This is technically perfectly fine, and just adding a tag for these seems like a bandaid solution at best.

Dex-chan lover
Yeah so probably best to create a Twitter comics title entry and upload them under there, but like I said, we don't have specific rules or guidelines regarding this situation. This is technically perfectly fine, and just adding a tag for these seems like a bandaid solution at best.
i mean this is mangadex, not one-page no panels dex.
These really aren't comics at all. I mean its fine if you ya'll wanna put them on here, but I'd prefer something more stricter.

I think a twitter tag or something.
must be difficult though. Im not an admin or mod with a big team. So i'd personally just do it, but i understand if you gotta have meeting n shit

Dex-chan lover
One panel comics are still very much comics. Some of the oldest examples of comics even in the West that we have, in fact, not to mention how prevalent they still are especially with political comics but others as well.
at what point does a picture become a comic and vice versa?
if I draw an illustration and slap word balloons on it. does it make it a comic?

Group Leader
they should just add some minimal requirement to how much pages classifies for an upload. i do concur that the increasingly growing landfill of 1-2 page manga uploads is becoming more of an annoying trend rather than if anything...

Custom title
Staff
Developer
at what point does a picture become a comic and vice versa?
if I draw an illustration and slap word balloons on it. does it make it a comic?
That's a great question! Unfortunately because of just that ambiguity, there doesn't seem to be a precise agreed-upon definition, so I'm not actually sure - drawing illustrations and slapping word balloons on them is, after all, pretty much how all comics are made. Thankfully debating it here is rarely necessary thanks to the requirement being pretty much just having to translate some text on the images, not to mention we'd pretty quick run into questions about what's the difference between comics and cartoons (which for the purpose of MangaDex would still count as stuff you're allowed to upload, by the way).

Contributor
Long strip titles would qualify as one page chapters as they are often released as one giant image/page (MD just splits them for the sake of people with potatoes or bad internet)

Power Uploader

I have to disagree with this. There are tons of web comics that have full-length, or even quite long chapters, especially with Korean or Chinese series.

A Format Tag for "Short Chapters", "Twitter Shorts", "Self-Published Short", or even just "Short" would be infinitely more appropriate than "Web Comic".

Custom title
Staff
Developer
I have to disagree with this. There are tons of web comics that have full-length, or even quite long chapters, especially with Korean or Chinese series.
This doesn't disagree with what I said. What I meant is that the Venn diagram of "Short chapters" would fit almost entirely inside "Web comic", which is a problem because we want to avoid adding tags that basically by default come with another tag. That's just poor design.

Power Uploader
This doesn't disagree with what I said. What I meant is that the Venn diagram of "Short chapters" would fit almost entirely inside "Web comic", which is a problem because we want to avoid adding tags that basically by default come with another tag. That's just poor design.
I don't see anything wrong with a reasonable degree of tag overlap if it helps users get more relevant search results. If anything, having one tag cover such a wide variety of content is the bigger problem, as otherwise "Web Comic" as a tag loses most of its relevancy in facilitating a search. There's a significant enough style/format difference between the majority of web comics and these 1-2 page twitter chapters to warrant the distinction. Especially with this volume of content, as it's not like this is asking for a niche tag that only covers a couple dozen chapters.

If we're worried about tag overlap, how about Isekai and Fantasy? Not all Fantasy is Isekai, but the overwhelming majority of Isekai is Fantasy, almost to the point that it makes Isekai pointless as a genre. Unless you're trying to exclude it to search for non-Isekai Fantasy, which is basically what a "Short" or similar tag would allow us to exclude from Web Comic.

There's tons of other examples of tags with just as much, if not more, overlap than Web Comic and Twitter. Villainess and Reincarnation, Romance and Drama, Wuxia and Martial Arts, Monsters and Zombies, etc.

Edit: Though I suppose there are also policy/standards controls that could address some of these concerns, like defining "Web Comic" as excluding "Long Strip" Manwha/Manhua-style series, or specifying that the more specific "Zombie" tag precludes use of the broader "Monster" tag, but that's also not a perfect solution.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread