Tell us, what's bothering you ?

I dont know how to put this on word, but i dont know how to treat it and at this point i am afraid to ask google san.

Dex-chan lover
Moved to my country's capital, Jakarta. Used to have sheetload ton of friends (who are not weebs but are really chill with me being interested in manga and anime). Here, it's.. different. The social dynamic is suffocating. Most of people around me now (from work) are the hypebeast and superficial-material type of people. Not that they don't "accept" me or such, but I am not comfortable in fitting in. I could, but it became such a pain, compared to my old pals back in the days.

So secretly, my only friend now is a pack of marlboro. To think I used to hate the thought of "a smoke reduces your lifespan by 5 minutes". Well now that my life is not worth much, I guess it doesn't matter either way haha.

Oh, tl;dr, please give me advice on how to meet new friends in a new town (except from work) and if any of my fellow countryman is here, please drop me a pm :)

Dex-chan lover
@dewiadriyanti I don't know how to quit smoking because I never succeeded either. But I once stopped smoking for like about 6 months. Passed the fever withdrawal and all that. What got me hooked again was, friends in workplaces, those devil bastards, they got me. I just can't socialize in a cafe without smoking, and those bastards are really chaining it all night. I caved. So, maybe, try to stay away from things that triggers you to want to smoke?

I heard this on youtube about ego depletion theory research. It is said that after comparing people that can resist temptation better against the group that handles temptation resistance worse, they found that this "better resistors" are actually not resisting at all. They removed themselves from environment that can trigger the temptation itself. So they do not have extraordinary iron will to resist, they just... distracted themselves better.

Not that I know better, my trigger for smoking is loneliness so... *inhales smoke* feck.

@horsewithnoname
I think the best advice is just live. Go to different places, do what you like to do. do new things that you have interest in.
Where would you like to go with your friends? Go there, regularly. Favor uncrowded places.
Conventions, events, seminar, meetings... it's a big city I'm sure there are plenty.
Libraries, book stores... manga readers are often book readers too.
Use socials, be active with your coworkers and read what their friends do and interact with them, groups, chats... you know.. internet stuff. You need a backdoor for the social life of your new city, so use them to expand your network and to know how things work around you.

@horsewithnoname
Stay away from writing ?? welp, i have no money then.... ahhh dilemma.

@justforthelulz
Yesterday i tried to wrote and change the cigg with lolipop, and without the doubt i buy a ciggaret without realizing.

After that i stop writing and laughing myself how can am i bought a cigg without even realizing it....... hahahahahah

Dex-chan lover
I got in my first-choice (actually, only-choice) science college to pursue my dreams of being a scientist. i grow up being familiar with Albert Einstein and seeing his genius inspired me to like science. Also, the fact that I seem to have an easier time comprehending science than other lessons probably got me here as well.

They said that I need to enter with a major so I should just choose anything and if I feel that I'm uncomfortable, I can switch majors after the second semester. So, I picked biotechnology on a whim.

I learned some science stuff but recently, I realized something. Biotechnology is heavily industry-oriented where your one mission is to do educated trial and error to find all the variables to find the most optimum something. If I keep following this field, more than likely, my job will be to just tinker and research for a company to make more money.

I hate the thought of working in a cubical. That job seems so mundane and boring that it would suck the life out of me. I also realize that what inspired me to study science was to make breakthroughs. Einstein made so many breakthroughs, what can I do? Penicillin was discovered on accident but Hawking radiation was found after probably pages of maths or something. Science in the past is so easy to make breakthroughs that modern times can't pick the low-hanging fruits anymore. It seems that the only place to find breakthroughs nowadays is particle science or computer engineering, where am I going to find that while I find the environmental factors to make yeasts produce 0.1% more enzymes to make more profit for a food company or something like that?

Going to the lab isn't as exciting anymore.

Contributor
The friend requests left in a state of limbo, unread or unanswered, leaving me without a sense of closure.

That thread failing to reach 1000+ posts, denying us the Great Sockpuppet Invasion of 2020.

Realizing that 2020 is only half over and that there is undoubtedly much, much more in store for all of us.

Dex-chan lover
@justforthelulz I came here to voice my dissatisfaction over that thread not raching 1,000 replies as well. I can relate to the friend request problem too. Holo (the mod) has left my friend request unanswered for what seems like decades, and a user named justforthelulz has not accepted my friend request within 8 seconds of me sending it :^(

@Zephyrus I beseech you, please allow us 155 more shitposts in that previously locked thread. I'll give you a cola if you do.

Most powerful member of the GFG
Staff
Super Moderator
@DANDAN_THE_DANDAN
I feel you, at first i wanted to study something related to biology, but not medicine because 1) It's really hard, 2) The studying never ends. So i thought "if i study something like microbiology or DNA, i think that would be fun", but then everything just seemed boring, you just have to keep studying and studying forever without end, mostly things like chemistry, but also anatomy, otherwise you'll be left behind in ignorance. Now i'm pursuing a career in robotics with the intention of creating a tank robot that can help people in some way or some shit like that, of course, i haven't presented my exam, it's next month and i am definitely not ready, on top of that, i have to take extra classes for 2 subjects that i failed for a week, basically redo the whole semester with 35% exams and everything, so now even more pressure is on me, especially since i have to get in, because i have no other options. My parents are also worried and i'm just here wasting my time.

There was never any low-hanging fruit in science, @DANDAN_THE_DANDAN.

Tinkering and research is exactly what scientists do; they don’t work to make breakthroughs, they work to gather data. That is the scientific method. The one mission of science is pretty much exactly what you said: “educated trial and error to find all the variables to find the most optimum something.” And very much resulting from that is the world we have today, though at the ground level it may not seem like what you would be doing is of any significance to the world.

....I guess the more important thing to start with is that "biotechnology" is highly unlikely to lead you into researching particle science. “I picked biotechnology on a whim” may have set you off track right from the get-go, but I’ve already wrote a wall of words on this, so, allow me.....

There’s a question that has a similar perspective:
– How is it that computers, complex as they are, essentially run by switches alone?
How does my seemingly irrelevant research help anything?

By being a switch in a circuit of switches. By being laying the foundation for future research.
Sure crop science won't change anything in astrophysics, but science is not 1-dimensional. There are many thousands of disciplines spanning from that single broad term.

A noble vision of science is that you’re in it purely for the discovery aspect but the reality is that it’s a job, jobs require pay, pay comes from an entity which generates it, and science doesn’t directly generate it. Seemingly irrelevant work helps whatever corporation sponsored it, pays you, collects data, finds out something specific that was seemingly irrelevant. If you rinse and repeat this, yay congratulations you have a scientific career. Boring? From one perspective, yes.

But it’s really important to know that the scientific breakthroughs you’re getting inspired by aren’t a representation of the science field, they result from hundreds or thousands of years of seemingly irrelevant work. Science in the past was never easy, you just don’t hear about all the rest of the discoveries that were made and the work that went in.
For the same reason, you should remember: famous people in science are made famous by their famous discoveries, not because they are worth any more than their peers. Those same famous people have had their own share of that mundane work.

That vision of a ‘breakthrough’ career is not what science is about. What you are thinking of is basically what inventors are always trying to do.

To see a problem and research everything about it, is science.
To see a problem and try directly create a solution, is invention (the aiming-for-the-stars type).

But that type of revolutionary invention mostly ends in failure, due in large part to a lack of scientific information.
Also, invention isn't a career, it's just something that people do.

To summarise:

You can't become a scientist that is always part of breakthrough research.
You are not guaranteed to ever be a part of breakthrough research, but at the same time, science research doesn't have to be like working in a cubical.
Most importantly: you CAN come up with your own original research if you learn enough relevant information, are creative and know the issues any particular field is facing.

More relevant to this medium, the internet sadly does not yet replace traditional education, so don’t forget to consider that the knowledge you obtain through advanced schooling may be of use to you outside of a career.

Dex-chan lover
@Afiaki What I meant by low-hanging fruits in science is that you can get breakthrough much more easily in the past than now.

And I know that everything builds up to a breakthrough, even irrelevant things, but tell me, do you call Avogadro's number by his name because he found the number or because his teacher taught him before he found the number? Call me selfish but I want to be the one making the breakthrough, not the one helping lead to the breakthrough. And I realized how implausible that is which is why I said that that science is not what I imagined it to be as a kid.

And what does original research even do? Will it invent a revolutionary cure? Will it send humanity into space? Or will it just find some variables that are annoying to find for the next person in line to use to speed up their research?

At this point AI research seems like a better field to make breakthroughs considering that there's enough advancements that a YouTube channel can make content out of breakthroughs. Some research are more boring than SciShow makes it out to be.

@DANDAN_THE_DANDAN
What could original research even do?

I won't make a list of all the things that original research can do; it's literally anything you want. Any sci-fi dream you have, you could probably make it real. That's how it is.

In the past they didn't have the research, data and history that we have now, just as we don't have that from the future. If you're thinking about how the likes of relativity and such were breakthoughs so many years ago, well, they've already been discovered. Nowadays they're getting minor refinements here and there as an ongoing effort to try and consolidate all of physics into one model. The breakthroughs are, as you mentioned, elsewhere. That might be a little disappointing if you invested in a particular field to follow in someone's footsteps, but it's understandable right?

Well you found your passion, good for you.
Isn't what I was trying to say. What I meant was that you can do the things you're fantasizing about if you have the right mindset. But, you already know that guiding your passion is your own responsibility, so I honestly wish you good luck in finding a new passion.

Dex-chan lover
@Afiaki Well you found your passion, good for you. I lost mine and am trying to find a new one using what I have now. Until then, I don't really have anything to look forward to in myself other than hobbies.

Group Leader
@DANDAN_THE_DANDAN
Just want to chime in about your thoughts on research. I'm working as a researcher for my government as well as a student in graduate school. I'll agree with @Afiaki said. I'm also involved in some of the researches however, these researches doesn't involve breakthroughs. Rather, it's just a slight improvement of the previous researches. We take in a previous research, recreate it to validate its findings and improve on it based on the recommendations of the authors combined with our experiences. There are times that our researches fail so we'll have to re-validate our hypothesis and methods used, and believe me these failures are a waste of resources (budget, time, and all) and demotivating at the same time. Nevertheless, the learning is still there.

Here's to hoping that you would find the passion and motivation to pursue it.

Group Leader
Living a good life without lying is hard huh ? Like a drama, but its not a drama, hard to tell and hard to ask someone for a help, how to make this shit stop...... here, let me ask ypu guys something, if one of your friend lied to you what are you going to do with him/her.....

There is no turning back for what am i doing, i have no treasure left, friend nor a family..... i live alone, guess what ?? From that point where i cant go back to the point i am forgiven, i always having a bad thought like suicide..... i tried to call a profesional, they cant do shit......

Internet is one and only my way to confess my sins. What bothering me is, why am i like this ?

79445403_p0_master1200.jpg

Contributor
@pandascepter
if one of your friend lied to you what are you going to do with him/her.....
How strong is your friendship? What is the severity and consequences of the lie? Will your friend likely lie about something similar in the future?

Users who are viewing this thread