Tensei Shitara Dragon no Tamago Datta ~Ibara no Dragon Road~ - Vol. 7 Ch. 32

Dex-chan lover
I think you are looking at this from the wrong angle.

Yes, on a meta level the author did give him the plague scales. But on a narrative level it is something so much better. It actually creates stakes in dragon evolution choices. Where instead of boring generic isekai with system with no drawbacks, he has to make hard choices to become more powerful and protect others from threats, despite it having hard consequences(like poisoning human friends who stick around too long).

Irushia made the hard choice, choosing an evolution that would get him ostracized by necessity, in order to gain the power to protect his friends and comrades and survive, rather than the evolution he would've wanted(noble dragon form). He made that choice without guarantee, but with hope that he could continue to evolve until one day he could evolve away from such a disastrous type of dragon into a more heroic/non deadly one that can live freely with others.

Him making that choice is what makes him heroic.

This isn't just some "I was reincarnated as a dragon, so I will live my life peacefully in a backwater village with my human friends and monster buddies as king of the mountain" series. Nor was it ever meant to be, nor was it building to. It's building up more than that.

I really can't say much without spoiling stuff directly. Suffice to say you are giving the author WAY less credit than they deserve. You are looking at the short term, when the author is making a much larger story.
(Which I don't blame you, this manga progresses very slowly with its release rate(not the fault of translators), which makes everything feel way more dragged out)

We know factually that characters can acquire skills from repetitive exposure/ practice, why can't something like that happen for companions over time, or why can't irushia gain companions immune to his scales?
(A rhetorical question, I am not implying any of that does or does not happen)

Did he though? Did he really lose those connections, or are they just separated for a period of time before possibly reconnecting in the future? How might those characters react and make choices to Irushia going missing? What would irushia do if he could neutralize his ability and could learn where he had been born(and thus find his way back)? What would he do in the meantime?

It's like saying because the strawhat pirates were separated at Saobody, or because the straw hats moved on from Alabasta, that everything was just reset with Vivi. Or that goku was reset because there were some stronger fighters in the world/universe that he meets and finds may be stronger than him at first.

You may still decide this story isn't for you, that you wanted "slow life after being reincarnated as a dragon" or whatever you had in mind. My point here is just that some of your perspectives seem to be way off, in a way completely unfair for any series. Like this

Where you missed the entire point. Not all abilities are going to have "benefits" one would use. One Piece has devil fruits give all their users the ability to become completely weak in water. It's a package deal, for the other powers that come with it. If I became a mutant where my body is covered in porcupine/tarantula spikes, it's a "stupid power" that keeps me from being able to embrace or touch other people. Same if the ability made my skin excrete toxic mucus like a poison frog.

Or beast or mystique in x men, getting stuck with blue/scaley/hairy bodies for their abilities to teleport or shapeshift.

Plague scales, absolutely can be useful. The ability to passively poison enemies and armies just by flying around would be devastating for any enemy that had to confront irushia and could not finish him off quickly. And it should becomes even more useful when leveled up and it becomes more fast acting. It's why the nearby city wants Irushia hunted, because it is a dangerous power.

The problem is it is not a power irushia wants to have or use. It's a power he accepted in the bundle of powers for this evolution. One that limits his interaction with others currently.

Irushia is a frog in the well, a big fish in a little pond. One who continually is reminded of that fact, but who manages to make progress and become something great due to his tenacity, creativity, and by choosing the harder more uncertain path.
Most of your points hinge on future developments brining back things from past arcs. That possibility is the only reason I am still reading. And yes I get the series wants to be a hard mode world, but this was just unnecessary. Him killing the man in the village and losing the trust of all of them other than the girl, them trying to hunt him or somthing could have been fine and kept the stakes. This long and slow arc has just been a waste of time, its just added so little to the story, its pretty much a leveling montage that has been slowed to normal speed. I fully get that evolutions have risks, but rather than one that forces him to be a threat regardless of actions, one that makes him seen as a threat and he has to struggle to overcome would be much better. Hell if he could control whether they are active or not they would have been great. As generally normal dragons would just keep them active humans may not know they could be turned off, making it a obstacle to be overcome with limited communication vs a flat out wall blocking progress. Then this time spent with these two in the desert would have meaning as other could see them not being cursed. There are many ways this could have been a decent arc, but the author really dropped the ball.
You also seem to think I want this to be a slow life, your completely wrong, I am calling this arc a boring slow life.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
spoilers regarding Nina after this arc: she actually comes back WAY later in the story (as in literally in the latest web novel chapter). the story hasn't continued yet but i speculate she and ball rabbit will play an important role.

as xboxbam said, you should stick around for the next arc.

thank you! feel free to use that format haha. Nina is too precious~
She comes back ?

rejoice-great-news.jpg

Dex-chan lover
So she planned on doing what cats supposedly do. When they're about to die, they go off on their own to die alone.
It's more that they hide when they feel bad because showing weakness as a cat in the wild is very dangerous. Roughly the same reason they bury their poop/urine (unless they're trying to make a power move as a statement) and some try to bury their food dishes after eating - they don't want something to notice and come eat them.

This is mostly instinctual so they will do it even if it doesn't help them, the same way they try to hide their health issues in general. They could be sick in a treatable way for a long time and you have no way to know.

I always pay extra for blood tests during the checkups for mine. Vets will only suggest it for high risk cats since most don't bring cats to the vet at all, so suggesting doubling the visit's cost for a young and seemingly healthy cat would scare people away. However, some stuff can show up on the blood test and nowhere else before it gets bad. Usually I find nothing, but the last one actually did find out that they were dehydrated. Long term dehydration is very bad for cats and short term did start seeming more energetic short term when I started adding water to their food, but I had no idea before.

I know this wasn't a super serious statement on your part, but let this be my cat PSA. Cats will hide it when they're feeling bad but they still want you to help them.

Dex-chan lover
I know this wasn't a super serious statement on your part, but let this be my cat PSA. Cats will hide it when they're feeling bad but they still want you to help them.
Yeah, that's why I said "supposedly", since I knew it was a myth.

Dex-chan lover
I'm not sure if you remember, but that's not really the tone of the manga, and especially the novel it came from....
I was 13 when I started being fan translated 6 years ago, so most of the plot is vague recollections.

Users who are viewing this thread