Tensei Shitara Ken Deshita - Vol. 5 Ch. 25 - Break Through

Dex-chan lover
"FIRE ARROW!"
Magic-users - you can't live with them, & you can't live without them.

Fed-Kun's army
what makes this manga (and LN) so good is the tension during boss fight
unlike most other isekai where the protags just stomps through using brute force/some insane tricks, fran+master is nowhere near invincible

until a certain A-ranker killsteal the boss by herself that is ?

Fed-Kun's army
The real victim of this chapter: Urushi.
Amanda made him cry (sparring), big sister Fran made him cry (molesting)

Dex-chan lover
@Kaarme
Sorry, I was on my phone and didn't elaborate.

You say Amanda didn't make a mistake, but you're basing this on an assumption that isn't even supported in the story as we've seen so far.
Why should an A rank not make such a mistake?

Chapter 14
Page 5: The guild master questions Fran about the demon's mana crystal. Fran says she broke it when she killed the demon, and the crystal disappeared. That's essentially what Amanda did just now: she killed the spider, and broke the mana crystal as a result.
Page 24: That didn't stop guild master from promoting her 2 ranks from F to D. He even admits he wanted to promote her "to C or even higher", since she single-handedly defeated a rank B target. Her destroying a mana crystal by mistake is not what stopped her from reaching B rank, it was petty politics that did.
Heck, the only reason she even got to defeat a B rank as a mere F rank in the first place, is because she disregarded orders, and Donadrond (the guild's examiner) scolded her for that (chapter 13, page 17). Still got her double promotion right afterwards.

Chapter 16
Page 28: Fran is to investigate the spider dungeon. Amanda, who listened in, literally sends the guild master's door flying. Was it on purpose or an accident? It doesn't matter. Either way, she wasn't supposed to run the guild master's door in.
Page 29: The guild master face palms. That's not the reaction of someone who sees an A rank adventure break a door for the first time. She's likely done something similar before. She's still A rank despite making such a "basic mistake".

Besides, why would Amanda even destroy the mana crystal on purpose? She's got the title of "Guardian of Children" (Chapter 16, page 22), which is a title given by the Gods. Would a guardian purposefully prevent someone from getting stronger? For what reason?

I'm not saying that it's impossible, but at this point you have no evidence, and your reasoning has just been disproved.

Dex-chan lover
@Nolonar To disprove some of your reasoning, it's useless to compare Amanda's case to anything Fran has done. Fran is a newbie. Unless your employer is Donald "You're fired!" Trump, everybody expects new people to make some basic mistakes. But if the basic mistake is made by some 20 years in the job veteran, it will raise some eyebrows.

Amanda had a reason to barge into the guild master's room. It was no mistake either. She had a reason to annihilate the monster, crystal included. What that reason was, don't ask me. Qelix presented some guesses, but they are just guesses. Maybe we will one day learn the truth when the story progresses. It could be that you are right and it was a mistake, which would make Amanda a careless idiot, but it's not like she wouldn't have been occasionally giving that vibe outside of work as it is. So, she would be one while working as well, which means careless musclebrains have a chance to make it all the way up to Rank A in the adventurers' guild. It would be something necessary to keep in mind for Fran.

It could be that you are right and it was a mistake, which would make Amanda a careless idiot, but it's not like she wouldn't have been occasionally giving that vibe outside of work as it is. So, she would be one while working as well, which means careless musclebrains have a chance to make it all the way up to Rank A in the adventurers' guild.
Exactly. Remember, this is ranking for adventurer, not master strategist, wiseman, or perfect human being ranking. What does an adventurer do best? Killing monsters. And Amanda is so good at it she's an A rank. Money isn't a problem for her so she doesn't think twice overkilling that spider monster and doesn't care about the core. Core is only good for money in the eye of normal adventurer after all. She is also, if you remember, ally of children (it's in her title, granted by God of that world). All she can think of is getting a payback for hurting her dear Fran. Why is she so obsessed with Fran you say? Other than her title, there's also actually a backstory of it (hinted in this chapter, she knew a couple of black cat kin). Anymore I said will be a spoiler so I will not go in depth about it.

Also, if you want to go in depth about adventurer ranking in this world (a rare case since usually your usual isekai stories didn't explain in detail about this). I'll make sure I wont spoil any stories but I put a spoiler in it just in case.
After C-rank, for an adventurer to be a B rank or above, they need an approval of more than half of guild masters around the world. This means that there's also kind of people that rise to A-rank through politics and dirty money. Also to be a b-rank, one must display feat of leadership commanding an army or something similar. A-rankers literally a one man army to the point of a country usually make sure there's at least 1 A-rank adventurer at all times in their main cities in case they got attacked by another country. Amanda? She's a legit A-rank adventurer because of her prowess. There's also a special case like a B-rank, but equal to an A-rank in times of war because he's that good in fighting against armies and multiple enemies.

Dex-chan lover
@Kaarme
To disprove some of your reasoning, [...]
Since you're not presenting any evidence, you're not proving or disproving anything.
As for Fran being a newbie, I literally just provided you with the chapter and page, where the guild master admitted he would've promoted Fran to B rank (which is just 1 rank short of A rank), if it weren't for petty politics.

To quote the relevant passage:
"I originally wanted to rank you up to C or even higher, but having someone rank up that fast in such a small timeframe will lead to complaints from the other subdivisions."
Emphasis mine. It means she clearly deserved C rank, and even B rank was well within her reach.

See? He didn't state: "... but you're inexperienced, and that inexperience has caused various trouble in the past, so I reconsidered."
Thus, comparing Amanda to Fran does make sense, since experience doesn't appear to be a requirement for reaching the upper ranks. Remember that Fran started out as a G rank adventurer, so B rank is fairly high.

My point still stands: you have no evidence to support your stance, and your reasoning is still disproved.

Dex-chan lover
@Nolonar Fine. I'll have to admit you have strong points. Although I wish this discussion had never happened because it lessens the worth of this manga in my mind, highlighting so effectively the flaws in the operation of the adventurers' guild. It kind of makes me wish Fran would just leave the guild.

@Brutu For an ally of children she sure was ready to hamper Fran's progress.

Double-page supporter
50jvcm.jpg

Aggregator gang
Hn hn hn, very nice, hope Fran learns more skills that doesn't require fenrir blade for, but I suppose It'll eventually happen

Dex-chan lover
fran is a real trooper being able to walk at a perfectly normal speed with a most likely heavier than fran weight of amanda and her sword clinging to her back.

Dex-chan lover
Kinda proud for the dragon guy, he's got good sense of justice and admits to his mistakes.

@knightcky

Yeah, I feel as dejected as master'.. he could've gotten some tasty stone and the skill to manipulate and create dungeon traps :eek:

---

poor Urushi, his dignity has been sullied :<

Users who are viewing this thread