Tensei Shitara Slime Datta Ken - Vol. 13 Ch. 62 - To be a Monster or Human

@Nongaran
I have to disagree with that. One of Rimuru's strengths is that he can prevent himself from making impulsive decisions. His judgement can still be off at times (e.g. being tricked by Blumund in negotiations) but he isn't someone who'd ruin things by acting rashly like Shion. And even in the WN he actually sort of calmed down after hearing about the possibility of ressurrection, he even mentioned that he spared Myulan only thanks to that in that version. The LN and in turn the manga as well, do it better though, since there are no longer any absurd 180° mood swings.

Moreover you seem to misunderstand Rimuru motivation. He doesn't act out of anger. He acts out of hope. And the humans he got to kill are simply the tools to achieve that, which you could see in chapter 60, when Rimuru refered to the enemy troops as "supplies".
I like that approach much more since Rimuru is not just acting cruelly as a form of throwing a tantrum and as a release valve for his emotions, but rather he is channeling everything into gaining the best outcome, but unlike before he no longer takes the feelings or the well-being of his enemies into consideration.

@nachtness
yes

more advanced spoiler
if i remember correctly they will be given to Shion (i think it was implied she used them for cooking)

Dex-chan lover
People comparing this to the WN aren't wrong. I don't remember the details anymore but I still remember the whole event being spontaneous, from the MC discovering the damage, to the "battle" and to dealing with the loose ends, because of the MC's emotions being up on end. But this, this calm before the storm isn't just being a drag, it actually killed off the tension.

This is probably an adjustment for catering more into younger audience by creating an image that what the MC is about to do is not "evil", while in the WN, you actually question his alignment after, for a short while anyway.

Fed-Kun's army
Remember.

When you die you will lose something... the more they resurrect you the more you lose something...

Dex-chan lover
@GreyZone Gotta agree with nongaran on this. This chapter basically killed all momentum that the last few had building. My memory of the WN is vague by now, but even so, I dont remember feeling lulled or put off as I do now.

Double-page supporter
People expecting bloodshed, please hold on. That particular chapter is not on its way for a long time.
There is still the revenge part to be taken on the Otherworlders that attacked Tempest by the subordinates of Rimuru. After that their their futile escape due to Rimuru not being there and the boss of theirs (otherworlders) coming to rescue one of them
All of them die athough so dont worry.
After that the full parade of the country to Farmas to Tempest and only after the bad guys have had their fill of boasting, will the TRUE BLOODSHED BEGINNNNNNNNN!

Double-page supporter
I'm not that hyped about the massacre. What I really wanna see is the Harvest Festival 😈

@criver Wasn't much of a spoiler but done.

i think it goes both ways even in the WN, i remember skimming it in the novel too, i agreed it kills the pacing even in both wn and manga, but i remember wn being too longwinded about it that i had to skip it

maybe we feel that it kills the pacing in the manga, since in the wn i can straight skim to the good parts, which is shortly after this whole convo... while manga... we may have to wait a month or two

EDIT : dont be mistaken, i still agree this whole convo is important to the whole arc and rimuru and whole town's character growth

in a way, it was a major spoiler for those in the tempest that their boss was once a human, and this spoiler was a big dud

Dex-chan lover
Rimuru-san you'd better be quick about it. Do it before Milim returns.
Otherwise she will rampage and no new Maou shall be born, ahaha.

I just went back an read the WN since it's been a while and boy is it different there is a sense of desperation there that does not exist in the manga. You can basically feel like there is a switch in Rimuru head when he chose to sacrifice the humans to become a demon lord. Like that decision alone was the first step into him losing his humanity thus implying he was already a demon lord. The pacing in the manga might be better when it comes to storytelling but it loses out the WN when it comes to conveying emotion.

Code:
Mod Note: Please use spoiler tags when talking about chapter-specific or future events.

@Marrdreg
I'd argue that's just the 1 month wait per chapter speaking, unlike the WN where the entire arc was covered within a few days (TL speeds for the WN were crazy fast back then, a chapter within a day or two), or even readable in a single sitting if you discovered the WN after the arc was fully translated. I didn't hear any such complains about any "let-downs" for the WN readers who read the LN version afterwards. Not to mention the arc is still on-going in the manga. If we are lucky we'll get the entire action in one super-release. But I think we'll definitly get up to the appearence of a certain new main cast member still within this year. Still, I am sure once the hype moments to come, people will forget all about their current complains, unless the mangaka messes up or something.

If the manga is to stay ahead of the anime and assuming the anime covers up until the end of LN vol. 6 in the second season, then the manga really needs to hurry its pace and the mangaka here seems to have released much smaller chapters than usual lately, so perhaps he was saving up for the upcoming release since it coincideces with the super-hype release of LN vol. 15 which resolves one of the biggest cliffhangers ever since the "did Hinata just kill Rimuru!?" cliffhanger from LN vol. 4 (in the manga that never even became a cliffhanger though).

Users who are viewing this thread