Tensei Shitara Slime Datta Ken - Vol. 14 Ch. 66 - Merciless

@lionfromnorth That's how it is, if you want to become a demon lord you need to harvest 10,000 souls for their energy. Rimuru didn't want to become a Demon Lord but Faramus forced his hand and killed those who he held dear.

@Leo80221 The attack is sunlight concentrated into thousands of laser beams, there won't be any blood as the wound is instantly cauterised as soon as it's created.

@Chucholain @KRBlack
No, that's both wrong, Great Sage in chapter 60 specifically said that he needs 10.000 HUMAN souls. Not "any" souls, and also not "damned" souls. Just 10k souls from individuals of the human species. Nothing less and nothing more.

That's also another reason why Rimuru is "Merciless". The army is 20k strong, so he actually only needed to kill half of them. He wiped them all out with Megiddo and Merciless anyway.

Dex-chan lover
@Krynh
Can't help but think that those children would become slaves or die off because their father has been killed by Rimuru.

It's only fair that those children would seek revenge for their father's death.

@Leo80221
Light is actually both a particle and a wave, so... *Shrug* Hard Light is a thing in sci-fi for a reason, though I'm not sure it would really work like what was shown, but magic is probably involved in the process somewhere even if its as indirect use just to concentrate the Light, so handwavium ho I suppose.

There's just enough there to work with that the details don't matter really.

Aggregator gang
This felt short and underwhelming for being a massacre. Too clean, too efficient, too few in number to reach the intended goal of 10000 souls.

@Leo80221 While I agree that the manga doesn't show well the scale of the army's numbers, Megiddo is however exactly how it was in the novel. Also, no, the rays aren't "solid objects." They are described by Razen as physical in nature in the sense that they aren't magical, that they are a natural phenomenon that's been manipulated. Also, this method of redirecting the light rays with the droplets is there so that every ray goes through more than one person.
As for Razen's theory of each not being able to go through more than two people, it's just his theory and it doesn't take into consideration several things (such as how the rays can just arrive from above or that they can just be redirected around the shields). It's likely that it isn't as simple as he makes it out to be. Furthermore, the rays being actual concentrated light, it would make sense for them to dissipate after some time and after going through a certain amount of matter. It's already good that they can act like lazers going through a few people each when they are just natural concentrated light. Plus, considering that Rimuru can continue shooting countless amount of such rays, it's not really a problem.

Now, back to how the army's scale was depicted, I believe it would've shown how numerous they were much better if we had gotten a better bird's-eye view of the army from Rimuru's point of view in the sky rather than just from 3 different locations within the span of terrain was occupied by the army (1 last last chapter, another in the .5 chapter, and the zone where the King's tent was this chapter).
"Merciless" still affected the rest of the army and killed several thousands (likely close to 10'000) even if Rimuru wasn't physically present near them. It also affected the fleeing solders. The ones where the king was were prostrating themselves, going along with what the king was saying, hoping that it would contribute to them not dying. However, those, the ones fleeing in the other parts of the army(which were ALL under attack by Megiddo at the same time) and those on the ground who were somehow still alive (for the ones who weren't struck with the rays in a spot that immediately killed them) all died from "Merciless."
Sure, the scale of the army was depicted well, but that doesn't mean it's not implied to have still been of that scale.

@Fenrir00 See this comment for why it isn't some "hard light" in this case either.
Also this comment for how Megiddo works: https://mangadex.org/thread/199520/5/#post_1460643

Dex-chan lover
I've been waiting since chapter 58 to read, and I'm glad I did... I knew it would be full of arrogant pieces of shits everywhere and I don't even read the novels, I just had that feeling so I waiting until they were surely wiped out and of course, is not over yet but it was soooooooooooooooooooooooooo goooooooooooooooood hahahahaha. Now, while I'm very happy now, I might disappear again after seeing him evolving into demon lord, after all, there are too many pieces of shit left and I just can't endure the wait until they get what they deserve.

As someone who read this manga (from star till now) in a couple of days. The story really went to shit after the "Teacher" arc. Maybe it's the nature of the manga and what magazine it is being released in, but there were no setups for this conflict (no setup about the country even considering attacking, we spent all the time with the children), the "massacre" feels more like the killing of like 100 or so soldiers. There was setup about the demon lords and their conflict, I guess that was just shelved for now. The LN did the pacing way better (the monthly release is hurting it as well), it followed more or less the normal story telling flow, while the manga switches between serious and lighthearted chapter to chapter.

This honestly seems like a bad adaptation of the light novel. The art is great at some points but they spend too much on details while expressions suffer (see pg13). I guess it's more of a marketing tool than anything still, this is one of the most inconsistent adaptations of LN that I have read.

Double-page supporter
They really did fail at convincing you that rimiru killed more than 80 guys. This manga is really bad with numbers in the first place though so it's not as immersion-destroying as it could be.

@Meybi How is that loosing control though? This also isn't the first time he's felt like this. The other times are from when he named too many monsters and went into sleep mode. This here is a bit different, but still similar. He's becoming more sleepy because to do the actual evolution to becoming a True Demon Lord he's going to enter a similar sleep mode.
Evolution isn't always like that in that world. For example, when the Orc Lord evolved into a Demon Lord Seed class monster (Orc Disaster), he didn't fall need to enter such a sleep mode. However, for True Demon Lord evolution (the one where you need to be a Demon Lord Seed AND have 10'000 human souls), the evolution while the body is sleeping seems to be a bit inconsistent.

Based on the info available to us about other True Demon Lords in the novels,
the norm seems to be that they don't need to enter a sleep mode. Milim didn't, nor did any of the other True Demon Lords we know of.
Also,
considering what the sleep mode is used for by Great Sage, it seems to be implied that Great Sage is the one enforcing the sleep mode so to be able to more efficiently modify and upgrade the skills of the character who is in the process of evolving. As such, going further into this arc, along with the "Harvest Festival,"
Rimuru's subordinates that he named are also going to go into forced sleep mode and have their skills upgraded by Great Sage in plus of them evolving due to their liege in their soul-naming hierarchy having evolved into a True Demon Lord. (In Milim's case, her dead dragon was the only one that was counted as a subordinate when she evolved into a True Demon Lord, so its "gift" from the Harvest Festival was what caused it to revive as a mindless chaos dragon.)

So no, just because he's feeling sleepy doesn't mean that he's losing control of his powers. He's not weakened nor going berserk. I honestly can't understand how you thought that way based on him feeling sleepy.
(
And he's not going to fall asleep right there and then, he's just feeling sleepy. The sleep mode is coming, but it's not there yet. Heck, in the next chapter
we'll see Rimuru summon demons (including Noir/to-be-Diablo) to take care of things together with Ranga while he goes back to his city because of the sleepiness and to evolve safely and then revive Shion and co.
)

Users who are viewing this thread