Tensei Shitara Slime Datta Ken - Vol. 16 Ch. 73 - The Majins' Scheme

so many names just thrown around, its so ridiculous. am i supposed to know all of these names by now??

Dex-chan lover
@LewdDewd Yes? They've all been part of the story for quite some time now, with the sole exception of Valentin, who is the sole new name this chapter.

@N2O You know, the "Ten Great Demon Lords" is a term that has been thrown around in the series for quite some time. Why is it surprising for those foreshadowed Demon Lords to appear now? We still don't even have all of them yet. The only ones we know of so far are:

Leon Cromwell
Clayman
Frey
Carrion
Milim Nava
Ramiris
Valentin

as you see, there's still 3 missing as from this chapter we know that Kazaream doesn't seem considered as part of it at this point anymore, due to being in hiding, and Laplace not including Kazaream in the "available Demon Lords" to start any resolutions.

@mimisan No it's the LN translations that got it wrong though. The "Valentin" here in this chapter is called ヴァレンタイン, so the LN TL caused a huge plot hole, because:
The name バレンタイン is only used for a certain silver-haired vampire with heterocromic eyes. So by translating both ヴァレンタイン and バレンタイン as "Valentine", they created the plot hole that in the English version all the Valentines would be considered as "equals", as that is something that was established at the very beginning of the story: Named Monsters with the same surname get recognized as equals. That's why the differentiation between ヴァレンタイン as "Valentin" and バレンタイン as "Valentine" is quite important.

Well we could have chosen a different alternative for ヴァレンタイン like Vallentine, Walentine, or Valentain, but considering the French-sounding first names of the twins, we decided to just roll with French-pronounced Valentin instead.

@Seikirin
Even a monkey can learn how to scanlate "like professional" in a few hours. Here, you don't even need to learn or knew anything, just select options like told once, then you can just drag&drop scans, click the button and wait some seconds until it's done before packing scans for upload. Nothing will change in the images, but their file size will magically become 2-3 times less - i.e. 20-25 MB instead of 50. And all you have to do is click the button.

Since i read the WN version of this i feels like Rimuru here are too kind, but its also showing his human side maybe
in the WN version Rimuru give "punishment" to the king and the 3 intruders that killed Shion and the other. He keep make them half dead and then healed them using high potion again and again until their body hard to maintain their healed part of body, like example their their eye could come off and it need to use high potion daily since if not it could keep coming off.
This is the WN, i dont know how the LN story goes maybe the manga using the LN? maybe
sorry for the bad english, its not my mother language

@Opelia
Not "maybe". Definitely. In gaming terms, the WN was like a beta test, or even alpha test, while the LN is the actual release.
And the manga is an adaptation of the LN. As far as Japanese manga go, you will probably never see a manga that was directly adaptated from a WN, it's ALWAYS LN that's used as the source material. And the same applies to anime, though in Slime's case, the anime takes a bit from both the manga and the LN.

As for your "spoiler", that went completely differently in the WN to begin with, as in the first place all roles of the Mage, the Archbishop and the 3 Otherworlders were taken by nameless church elite goons there. The LN gave that role to Razen, Reyhiem, and the 3 Otherworlders instead, actual characters that have been properly introduced and not just some random goons as they were in the WN. The notable difference was that those goons in the WN doubled as both the killers of Shion and other monsters, as well as those who "survived Megiddo and tried to get away but ended up being captured by Diablo". So while in the WN the actual killers who killed Shion were among the captured survivors, in the LN they (3 Otherworlders) were already dead by the time of the torture.

@GreyZone I don't recall the details. I'd have to re-read LN 5 in japanese to see as the details are only explained in Walpurgis, but as far as I know, even the rest of the world doesn't know the distinction since
Ruminas' true identity isn't revealed until then

This is one of the rare cases where I don't think the distinction in katakana actually matters. I think putting it in French actually changes it significantly while failing to convey the subtle distinction. both ヴァレンタイン and バレンタイン are just two different ways of writing "Valentine" in katakana. it's the sort of minor distinction that really doesn't translate back to english. Unlike the katakana, 'Valentin' and 'Valentine' are pronounced differently.

'Valentin' would probably have been written as something like バレンチン or ヴァレンチーン or something

Surely you wouldn't translate ロイ as 'Roi' right? Because if it were french 'roi' would be pronounced as the word for King.

@mimisan Again, doing it the same ways as was done in the LN translations creates a plot hole, that you seem to just outright ignore, that is far more important than your subjective evaluation of the significance of how a name is — or should be — written. Also yes, the French pronunciation has a basis.

You focus on Roy/Roi, but guess what, there's also his twin Louis, and he isn't written in the more anglicized fashion that would be ルイス, but rather in the definite French pronunciation of ルイ. Add in the later revelation that the TLed LNs haven't covered yet, i.e. that
the twins were originally one person, and you get ロイ ルイ or "King Louis", most likely a historical reference to King Louis XIV, the French King who was known as the "Sun King" and even today still used as the textbook example for absolute monarchical rule.

Also you should be more careful what you mention with spoiler tags and what without.

@GreyZone i dont know how the LN story goes but i hope it didnt confuse WN reader like me 😅 I hope the anime not gone off the story since it could ruined the manga version dan LN.

Btw is this manga properly using the LN story? if it yes then its good since i quiet like how the follow of story goes 😊thank you for replying

They really went and said it a lot earlier than the LN did (about Yuki), wow, I thought they were gonna hide his face or something but guess not

@Emachookie @Mahika I heavily recommend reading the LN from the very beginning, while the manga does follow the LN, there are many things that aren't included (or modified), even though they can be pretty small things (I believe most LN readers can agree with me that some of the most hilarious stuff wasn't adapted), if I recall correctly, some bigger things didn't make it in the manga (can't tell you what exactly but I'm pretty sure I thought the manga missed some things while reading it), so it's very very worth it imo

If I were to tell you around when this is though, then it'd be the start of vol 6 (oh and Yuki being the mastermind isn't revealed until much much later so when they're talking about him they often use "Boss", "Young man" (official translation) or "Boy" (fan translation), in case you do start there, so you're not too confused)
You can find the first 10 volumes on Just Light Novels, currently it has the official translation up to vol 8, and vol 9 & 10 are fan translated and it keeps updating with time
And if you want to buy the LN, you can find the first 8 volumes on yen press for around 14~15$ each

LN this, WN that...can ya'll just stfu and talk about the manga or at least let others talk about it? Seriously, nobody gives a shit how you compare the manga to the sources.

Dex-chan lover
I would read translated LN/WB, I did, but the site I was reading shut down. the information I had has long since past, so does someone mind ******* telling me why, or how Yuki is involved with the demons. I went back to chapter 46 to check if it was actually the guild master, the only memory I had of him was that he liked manga. there literally no foreshadowing prior, they just kind of dropped this. are they enemies?? so clayman is not a demon lord yet and this was suppose to be his ascension? but supplying og demon lord and the new one was intervened by slime. they wanted rimuru to take a hit for their own grand schemes?
also, I like how boss Rimuru is bein. shion's anger is understood

Fed-Kun's army
Why is manga boy on demon lord side, booooo, but I don't understand so I can't judge

Hm, well I guess they couldn't do this part without revealing Yuuki. Thank you for the translation.

@IrregularPerson if you want to recheck you can just google "slime isekai lightnovel pdf" or something. But, tldr: Yuuki wasn't revealed *completely* till like 4 novels later, but they couldn't have done this scene otherwise in a manga. Throughout the space between this scene and his total reveal there were multiple scenes that slowly gave small hints about this. As to why he is, I will not be saying, cuz this isn't a place to put spoilers, even if someone is asking for them.

Users who are viewing this thread