The 100 Girlfriends Who Really, Really, Really, Really, Really Love You - Ch. 160 - Give a Taste to Me Yakisoba

Group Leader
If you consider Rin's catchphrase to be evidence of having some Italian lineage,...
She tooks it from musical language (based on "forte", "molto forte", ecc.), which come from Italian, but is de facto international language.
She's more like a French girl who speaks some random Italian XD.

I'm making a comparison. Dubbed anime always localize osaka-ben and kansai-ben as southern american accents. XUN is doing the same thing by being lazy and turning a japanese dialect into british.

*lol man you guys are buttmad.
mate you're just wrong. Thats literally just how it works. The cultural equivalent to Kansai and such would be the hick accents of other languages. Thats just how dialects work. If you have a problem with it, learn Japanese or invent a new English accent.

Dex-chan lover
mate you're just wrong. Thats literally just how it works. The cultural equivalent to Kansai and such would be the hick accents of other languages. Thats just how dialects work. If you have a problem with it, learn Japanese or invent a new English accent.
sure bud

Dex-chan lover
Interesting to see at least 2 people read the interview wrong that lead them to ask if hyakkano is really ending at volume 16... It takes less time to actually read that part than to comment here but eh.

Dex-chan lover
The interview TL is such a nice bonus for this chapter. I thank ye! Cant believe that THE akasaka met our author and enjoyed each others work. Why do I feel like Akasaka's works may have to take inspiration from 100 GFs in the future. definitely not in Oshi No Ko but in another gag manga hmmmm

Dex-chan lover
So I’m not going to bury the lead here, while the interview is very informative and gives a lot of insight behind the two series (100 GFs & Kaguya) it’s also not the chapter itself. I have thoughts on said interview, but I won’t tie them to this comment, that’ll be it’s own comment so that this one can be all about the chapter itself, it just feels better that way.

Anyway, it’s really nice that Chiyo finally has someone closer to her age that she can relate to, don’t get me wrong she has had others before Matsuri who have been able to relate to her. But Matsuri has an important edge above all of them, the two of them are in the same class. Matsuri in a sense acts as a foil to Chiyo, not so much that she is a rival or an aggressor, but that she is someone on the same level as her who isn’t afraid to spark an argument if she feels like fighting for whatever it is she’s fighting for at that moment.

Chiyo is a good girl, but she can be surprisingly stubborn, and very commanding. Matsuri on the other hand, doesn’t exactly take that without a fight. In a sense she’s like Karane, she just lacks the actual “fighting” part of the fighting spirit she has. Matsuri will go to bat for her opinions, Karane will use a bat on you. I wonder if Matsuri will become another tsukkoki, we already have a few, but more variation is always nice.

Good to see both of them managed to work out their differences in the end, and realized the value each of their meals had. Isn’t it kinda strange that we so far have had at least 3 (depending on how you want to look at it) characters which are food related at least in some way?

Dex-chan lover
Hmm, there were some very interesting things in the interview. I don’t know how I feel about the whole “hibernation” idea, that just seems like a cop out, but at the same time maybe something similar could be employed per chapter later down the line. Currently the cast is “small” enough (we’re still pretty damn big) to have everyone be at least present in every chapter, at least making a single page appearance. In the future, that will be damn near impossible, so maybe just opting to not have certain characters in certain chapters would probably be best. Better than forcing them there, and taking up space when they really shouldn’t be.

At the same time, I don’t quite want to see some of the girls get left out, so it’s a troublesome predicament… I have faith the team working on the series will figure this out, so I’m not that worried.

The Kaguya stuff was really interesting to read since I read the manga before the anime got popular, so learning all of this gave me a new perspective on the Cultural Festival arc, it always did feel a bit “finale” ish to me.

I can understand where the whole “goal” setting idea came from, it really does make sense when you really think about it. It’s the same dilemma Toriyama faced when making Dragon Ball, back when the first arc finished and readers felt like the story had done all that it promised to do. Feeling that the “goal” of the story had been reached, and just as he chose to show that there wasn’t really a “goal” and that the Dragon Balls were useful for storytelling purposes beyond just the first arc, he was able to redefine the genre simply because the “goal” had been reached.

What we have here goes for the opposite approach, one which I haven’t seen done on this scale ever before. Instead of the “goal” of the story simply being a jumping off point for the rest of it. 100 GFs attempts to create such a large number of “goals” that by the time we’ve hit the final one, the story will have exhausted the readers perception of a “goal” and you won’t really question it anymore.

They were right in the interview, a series like this will almost certainly redefine the genre just like Dragon Ball did for Shounenn Action back in the day. I can’t help but wonder what that’ll look like, but that’s years from now, and I want to enjoy the journey while it’s still happening, so I’ll wait for as long as I need to, no need to rush it. Just thinking about this series one day ending is a bit sad, but what it will create afterwards is also a bit exciting, I’m sure everyone can agree on that.

Users who are viewing this thread