The 100 Girlfriends Who Really, Really, Really, Really, Really Love You - Ch. 160 - Give a Taste to Me Yakisoba

Dex-chan lover
Ah yes, English cuisine. With such hits as "Baked Beans Pizza", "Toast Sandwich", "Fried Fish and Fries", and "FOR THE LOVE OV GOD IF YOU PUT ANY SPICES IN THIS I WILL FUCK YOU UP"
bro you're talking about a nation that created an empire JUST to have access to spices (and tea, that was a big reason too lol)

Also we got the see the reformed delinquents from previous Chio chapters! Always a delight

Group Leader
For a moment I was worried we wouldn't have the usual introduction meeting XD.

Also, our girl can spawn baloons an candies. What a refined lady. :chad:

Dex-chan lover
I think you need to reply to them to get their attention before you write all that😶
On hindsight, yeah I should. But on internet when giving opinion I tend to get too heated and forgot the little important things like that,I become a mess.

I should just stick to "hehe her bewbs bigs" or something

Last edited:
Group Leader
Wait that body swap (or "fuse" as he put it) drug from the previous chapter was Aka's idea? And Nakamura actually wrote a chapter about it? That's mad. Does it check out chronologically?

Group Leader
this is real:dogewow:
1.gif
new.gif

edit:https://firstwefeast.com/eat/2015/06/watch-girl-inhale-six-pounds-of-yakisoba-noodles
Yup she does a lot of these videos, apparently she has a special condition according to Louie-san (a french-japanese youtuber) who reviewed multiple japanese channels including hers.

On another note it seemed like a good balance between representing dei's way of speaking and text comprehension in this chapter imho.

Finally thanks for the interview, it was quite interesting!

Dex-chan lover
And the madness continuess. I love it as usual, but now I'm craving some yakisoba dammit

Contributor
bro you're talking about a nation that created an empire JUST to have access to spices (and tea, that was a big reason too lol)
For a nation that prides themselves on that, a bunch of their signature meals certainly don't have them

Aggregator gang
Thanks a lot for your translations. Please Dei speak pattern as is, she is a blast to read.

Dex-chan lover
I dunno about "very bad indeed", but yeah with a series like this, with every translation decision you make there's always a risk that some pun down the line becomes a little less effective. Whether it's someone's accent or something as innocuous as "pear halves" that you'd never think would pop up again. You just have to be practical about it: it's obviously not worth intentionally hampering the quality of your translation in the now for the sake of a hypothetical, likely one-off joke that you can probably write around and get a similar enough effect anyway.

We've been translating this series for over three years and 130 chapters, I'd like to think we have a decent idea what kind of problems to expect.
I think part of the reason why there are more complaints about translation of Matsuri's accent compared to others instances of speech quirks like Naddy for example is that kinda creates the opposite impression. Since her gramps and Matsuri actually speak in that old japanese accent like Chibita from Osomatsu-san it deliberately creates active contrast to her wearing eleborate clothes and being half-british. Localized translation actually nearly removes old japanese part and replaces it with entire new layer of british aesthetic that changes the readers perspective on her character. I have to actively remind myself that Matsuri actually speaking other way from the presented to accurately gauge her interactions with everyone and how world perceives her. It makes the translation note is really necessary to fully get her character.

Last edited:
Group Leader
I think part of the reason why there are more complaints about translation of Matsuri's accent compared to others instances of speech quirks like Naddy for example is that kinda creates the opposite impression. Since her gramps and Matsuri actually speak in that old japanese accent like Chibita from Osomatsu-san it deliberately creates active contrast to her wearing eleborate clothes and being half-british. Localized translation actually nearly removes old japanese part and replaces it with entire new layer of british aesthetic that changes the readers perspective on her character. I have to actively remind myself that Matsuri actually speaking other way from the presented to accurately gauge her interactions with everyone and how world perceives her. It makes the translation note is really necessary to fully get her character.
I don't think that's entirely true, and this chapter demonstrates exactly why. Mimimi, Hakari, and Rin assume from her gothic lolita clothing that she would be like them, and conduct herself in a graceful and refined manner (in as much as that's applicable to the aforementioned three). Matsuri's accent immediately runs against their expectations. It's loud and crude and not at all like what her outfit would have you believe. This is the case for her Shitamachi dialect, and is the main purpose of rendering it as Cockney. Shitamachi dialect isn't simply "old," it's rough and unrefined and often lower-class. That has far more to do with the contrast her dialect creates with her aesthetic than it being Japanese. Bear in mind that all of the characters are speaking Japanese in the Japanese script. A gothic lolita speaking a very graceful, fancy form of Japanese wouldn't create this contrast, even though it's just as Japanese as Shitamachi.

Aggregator gang
Aka Akasaka, my guy, my GOAT.

Words cannot describe how much I love and admire that man. I hope lives a long and healthy life.

Custom title
Staff
Developer
Localized translation actually nearly removes old japanese part and replaces it with entire new layer of british aesthetic that changes the readers perspective on her character.
The significance of the accent is not the fact that it's old, it's the lower class impression that it gives. Translating it as, I dunno, Shakespearean Early Modern English or like she's Jesus in the KJV Bible just because it's "old" would be the completely wrong thing to do because the effect would be almost the polar opposite of what's intended.

When you translate language A to language B, the entire intention is to remove the A part and replace it with B. There is no language pair where the connotations are going to map one-to-one because the cultural circumstances around each language are, obviously, always going to be very different. You cannot avoid "removing the old Japanese part". You can't magically inject "old Japanese" into English. You do the best with what you've given, and that's to use English that makes the English reader feel like the Japanese reader does, as best as you can.

Matsuri being half-English was a happy coincidence as far the dialect decision was made, not the primary motivator. Even though I understand the point about the grandparents not being British, it's a surface level complaint to us. Even if she had nothing to do with England, we most likely would have picked the route we went anyway, because the connotations match decently enough that there's precedent in "real" literature making the exact same choice we did in both directions, Japanese-to-English and vice versa.

Dex-chan lover
Really enjoyed the interview; much appreciated.

Also I'm hoping they have a vacation arc soon ngl

Dex-chan lover
The significance of the accent is not the fact that it's old, it's the lower class impression that it gives. Translating it as, I dunno, Shakespearean Early Modern English or like she's Jesus in the KJV Bible just because it's "old" would be the completely wrong thing to do because the effect would be almost the polar opposite of what's intended.

When you translate language A to language B, the entire intention is to remove the A part and replace it with B. There is no language pair where the connotations are going to map one-to-one because the cultural circumstances around each language are, obviously, always going to be very different. You cannot avoid "removing the old Japanese part". You can't magically inject "old Japanese" into English. You do the best with what you've given, and that's to use English that makes the English reader feel like the Japanese reader does, as best as you can.

Matsuri being half-English was a happy coincidence as far the dialect decision was made, not the primary motivator. Even though I understand the point about the grandparents not being British, it's a surface level complaint to us. Even if she had nothing to do with England, we most likely would have picked the route we went anyway, because the connotations match decently enough that there's precedent in "real" literature making the exact same choice we did in both directions, Japanese-to-English and vice versa.
I get your point, it's not like I dislike your choice of localization, plus in this chapter it felt better integrated. Spirit wise translating this way definitely gets the right vibe of original, it just a funny coincidence of Matsuri being half-british that it automatically created kinda misleading implications when it wasn't the case in original, hence why some people who either skip TL note or already forget about it, thinking that Matsuri and her family way of speech is due to her familial English roots instead of actually coming from Japanese "festival" side. Just wish there is some way to clearly communicate that in her words without needing to know meta context like notes or reading raws, no need to completely change it, maybe inserting some lower class japanese-like words? I dunno.

Wait, if the anime only has 12 episodes and the manga will end at volume 16... then what happens during manga events? Do the manga just... gonna montage through the whole thing effectively making Rentaro actually marrying the ladies???

the interview at the end is a freakin blessing. thank you TL for translating it

Users who are viewing this thread