The Apothecary Diaries - Vol. 12 Ch. 60.2 - Summer Retreat (Part 2)

Dex-chan lover
Damn...I didn't realise they were all so young.
The age of adulthood used to be much younger for most of the world because the average life expectancy was lower. Around 1900 in Japan, the age of consent was set at 13 and the age of marriage at 15 because the average female only lived to her mid-40s. So while they're young by modern standards, the characters are at their "ideal" age to be looking for a prospective partner.

Double-page supporter
SHE'S SO CUTE in this particular chapter, looks like bunny ig 🐇

Dex-chan lover
🚩"I just hope it goes without any issues."🚩

(remember, Maomao turns into a stunning beauty with her freckles removed and a bit of makeup added).
Well, less turns "into" one as turns "out" of one by adding freckles.

Which was a funny part about the comments about the other manga. So much about her being more "true" to her real self because she wasn't as "cute" as she is in this version.

Dex-chan lover
Thank you so much for the translation! Fantastic job as always 😙👌✨

Ouch, all the men in that room felt Maomao’s story huh 🙃😂😖 Ouch! And dang, Maomao’s Poison Powerhouse resistance is to be feared and admired 😂

This line in particular makes me laugh because other than Gao Shun, everyone in that room is about 2-3 years from each other in age 😆 Doesn’t feel too far though to modern behaviors/mindsets of their age range though x)
IF I’m remembering correctly…
Jinshi’s really about 17 years old; Maomao’s about 16; and Basen I’m not too certain of but I’d say 15 /16 as well? Also, Consort Gyokuyou is about 19 y/o.

Feel free to confirm or correct me, if I’m wrong 😄🙂
Mentioned off-handedly in chapter 34 that both Jinshi and Basen are 19 years old. Gao Shun is 39.

Dex-chan lover
Jinshi is traveling incognito, but presumably the hosts know his true identity and mistook his intent in bringing a beautiful maid along (remember, Maomao turns into a stunning beauty with her freckles removed and a bit of makeup added).
Thanks!

Dex-chan lover
Maomao it doesn't matter how much a pervert deserves it, there ain't a man who wants to hear about a turtle biting someone's dick.

Fed-Kun's army
because of his real identity
Emperor's little brother/emperor's first child (hinted in story)Jinshi is the current emperor son with consort ah duo. he got swap with emp little brother when they are baby, the later die in ah duo care(wet nurse honey poision case). emp know (or it hinted) that he is his son so he created the never seen in cort brother decoy and tuck jinshi away in the harem

Last edited:
Contributor
I wonder if there was another separate reason to swap rooms like this. Like was he expecting the possibility of courtesans trying to sneak into his bed that night or assassins.
Given that he packed a dinner and readily swapped rooms seems to imply that the above (and the dinner preceding it) has been attempted on past visits.

Dex-chan lover
Can't tell if someone's mentioned this specific thing or not, but on page 11 Basen is holding his crotch as he wobbles away.
Others have already mentioned that the nobles who gave them the food did it bc they thought Mao Mao was there to sexually entertain him.... which if that's the case they must've either been really excited to see him finally interested in a woman, or they have a lot of faith in Jinshi's vigor, 'cause if a sip of wine took Basen out that quickly i don't think Jinshi would've faired much better

Users who are viewing this thread