The Apothecary Diaries - Vol. 6 Ch. 29.1 - Syphilis (Part 1)

Fed-Kun's army
this got hella tragic, oh my god???? but yay an update!!! but wow what a heavy chapter, oof. if that's her mom that's... so incredibly sad. ouch???

thank you very much for the update~

is the manga following the light novel version?

iirc, the WN her mother is already dead, but i heard from some people that on the LN, her mother was actually alive

also the way of lowering the price of a courtesan, please dont click on this spoiler if you dont want to know

its to get her pregnant. but the glasses guy actually didn't know that courtesans uses a contraceptive. which means they can't get pregnant unless they themselves want to

OMG....... i knew the ln was different from wn but...... OMG...... if this is what i think it is......... then in a way, it is worse than the wn version...... sh*t

Double-page supporter
Does the timeline match up for
this woman to be MaoMao's mother
?

Seems like she already had syphilis when he came and he came before MaoMao was born.

Dex-chan lover
Fun fact, syphilis is believed to have come from the New World with Christopher Columbus and the natives he abducted just like the cocoa we saw earlier, and one of the few effective treatments during this period was quinine made from the bark of another New World plant which is where tonic water comes from.
@FStubbs Neurosyphilis can appear 4-25 years after the initial infection, but it had to have been initially contracted after MaoMao was born otherwise she would have the congenital form. So it would make the most sense if she was infected like just a few months after MaoMao was born.
https://youtu.be/KtEv1YZ8OaI?t=88&list=PLlj60UmXZBvgPQPAkgXkmU7KSN21o9yIq&index=26

Dex-chan lover
So is she missing her nose because of the syphilis?

Also in regards to major future spoilers from the ln/wn
I'm guessing this is adapting the light novel as I believe the web novel originally had Mao's mother deceased a while before the series started.

This is truly heartbreaking though, I can see why Mao hates her father so so so much. Even if he didnt actively do anything to harm her mum, the fact he left for long enough that she could become pregnant and give birth and be forced onto the streets by necessity really can't be taken back.

She clearly remembers him but the damage....good lord poor woman and poor Mao. If only they'd let her adoptive father intervene :C I've heard some tales of how the plot line ends up being resolved but this is certainly going to be a painful arc.

Dex-chan lover
I'm pretty sure most manga and anime adaptations of novels use the light novels for their source material. The web novel would usually be someone posting their novel online somewhere and it's freely available. A light novel is a polished and published product. If I'm wrong feel free to correct me, I don't actually give two tugs about the novel versions in either form so it's not like I've become overly familiar with how they work, this is largely an assumption on my part.

@musicfreak12 Maybe? I'm not well read on the symptoms if it's untreated for too long. But a quick glance at Wikipedia was a horror show, so, I'd say it's not off the table. Might depend on the strain of syphilis or something like that.

Nah, probably not her mother. Maomao would've had worse problems than her stature if she really was born to a woman with syphilis.

Fed-Kun's army
@riflow @musicfreak12 yeah her nose is missing because of syphilis. the bacterial venerial disease can attack the face and cause the onset of necrosis, or tissue death. mind you, that this affects not only the nose, but at times the mouth and even eyes. (yes gross, i know) at some point if left untreated, it does come to affect the bone and (this is not a spoiler but ill put a spoiler tag in just cause it may cause discomfort so read at your own risk)
can cause crater holes to appear on the face, perforations due to necrosis, and bodily disfigurement).
looking at the woman, and seeing how she isnt disfigured and instead mental degradation, it seems like shes suffering from neurosyphilis rather than gummatous syphilis, which is what causes disfigurement due to the growth of gummas.
sorry for the rant, i studied this a lot in my biohealth course 😅
anyways, was she raped? like, i dont believe that she went with him willingly if she was so angry at maomao so was she raped then? or swindled? like seeing her sing and play go is so sad. shes so far gone but she still manages to remember the duties she had as a courtesan, which means it probably meant a lot to her.
this killed me, i thought it was supposed to be light hearted 😢

Dex-chan lover
@A-Chicken I think it's implied that either the woman is her biological mother or her mother when through the same thing - check the first page, the woman who tried to kill baby Mao also seem to had Sylphilis

Dex-chan lover
Yay! New Kusuriya chapter!

*Syphilis (Part 1)*

Errr.....

Dex-chan lover
@chuchuchoerry Maomao's mother wasn't raped. I'm not exactly sure of the details but Maomao's dad was supposed to have bought her mom's freedom from being a courtesan but things happened and it didn't push through

It's looks so deep for idiot like me to understand and I don't know what happened to that woman but I feel sorry for her😷

Is this her mother? I have this feeling because of that Go part. This become more understandable why Maomao acts like that towards Jinshi
and pretend not knowing about their romance potential

Its actually much more tragic that she is alive in her living dead like state rather than dying.
also @A-Chicken She wasnt born from her when she had syphilis, she was forced to take take worse customers off the streets in order to live after giving birth thus infecting her.

Code:
Mod Note: Please use spoiler tags when talking about chapter-specific or future events.

Users who are viewing this thread