The Beginning After the End

so i've been in the mood for an isekai with an op protagonist for quite some time, after reading quite a few mangas i gotta say this is the best one yet
if you are reading this and doubting if you should or should not read it just give it a shot

The web comic is pretty good, albeit kind of boring sometimes. Once I finished the latest chapter I switched to the novel and was really disappointed. It's written just like all those awful Chinese wuxia novels. The web comic filters out most of the unnecessary stuff, apparently. It's written in first person, which was a huge mistake. The MC comes off as arrogant and makes it sound like the MC is constantly boasting about himself and embellishing details all the time, so when combined with the stupid *BOOM!*'s and *FWOOOOM*'s and such, you can't take anything seriously. A particularly huge flaw of the author is the habit of attempting to over-explain details that really don't have any business being explained. Thankfully the comic leaves the dumb explanations out. Since the original is English, this was clearly written by a weeboo. It's so cringy.

In reply to the previous comment, I read up to chapter 56 on tenmanga.com. The original should be English, anyway, so it doesn't even need to be translated.

Read the comic, and I really enjoyed myself. Then tried continuing the story in the novel, and all have to say about that is: yikes. Not recommended. The author makes so many amateur mistakes in his writing. The writing is REALLY wordy, which make things a chore to read. The perspectives are weird at times, seemingly mixing first and second person perspective, which make thoughts and conversations feel really alien. There is also really cringe and weirdly timed oversharing between characters. Besides that, there is also really cringe 'humor' and/or descriptions of humor, a boat loads of cliches and a large abundance of annoying tropes.
Now I know nothing about the author, but the source material is in English. Why this novel is filled with so many seemingly Japanese tropes and cliches is a mystery to me. It's honestly pretty annoying. There is even some of those translation anomalies in the writing(things that you cant translate 1-to-1 from Japanese to English, so dialogs get somewhat weird) -- which is even more weird. It really reads like a bad fan-fiction.
So while the world building and the underlying magic system are all still pretty good, the characters just become really weird and annoying when reading the novel. The comic however seems to cut out most of the annoying parts -- which makes it, while still not very original, a pretty enjoyable read.

So If you want to read this: only read the comic. Just wait for the comic. Don't be tempted to read the novel. The novel reads like a bad fan-fiction. Thought I guess it's the other way around(the poorly written novel, is the original material). The comic version fixes a lot of what the base material does wrong and is pretty enjoyable. Plus the art is good.

I gotta say, this is one of the best stories I have ever read. We finally don't have a trashy protagonist who has reasonable actions and reasonable responses to the consequences of his actions. Too bad that we still need to wait another month until season 3 starts. If you're too impatient to wait another month, then I suggest you to read the novel. I will have to agree with the previous comment, about how the writing is kinda bad, but that's because this is literally the first story the author wrote, and he was inexperienced at the time. The writing gets much better later on, but that's not until like chapter 80 (for reference, the events of chapter 56 COMIC, NOT MANHUA OR MANGA, is going off of chapter 30 of the novel). After chapter 80, you still have 192 chapters more to go, at the time of writing this comment, that has actually pretty good writing. Although the pace of the plot progression slows down by a considerable amount, which I personally don't really like, don't think that the amount of action or the quality of the story decreases. If anything, the plot becomes deeper as more things are revealed to you that ACTUALLY MAKE SENSE. The story obviously had a lot of thought put into it as I can't think of any part of the plot that contradicts itself, leads to a dead end, or straight up feels like it was added half way through the story . There are some parts that don't make a whole lot of sense at the moment, but I expect it to be explained later on just like the rest of the plot elements.

And to answer some common questions or concerns I have seen:
1) No, there is no harem as of the latest chapter in the novel, and there won't be a harem ever.
Arthur has already promised to Tessia that after the war he would promise to go out with her,
and there are no love interests in the story other than Tessia.
2) Don't worry, the school arc isn't that bad. It's not generic where Arthur does generic MC stuff and gets a generic harem. Instead, things happen rather naturally, with some stuff added in. Arthur doesn't try to stand out and be an omnipotent god to the rest of the students, but instead tries to fit in. Although he still sticks out, but not to the extent of "being the best at everything", but simply because
he's in the disciplinary committee where everyone in it is powerful, him being the teacher of a class after he beat the mediocre teacher who was putting the students in danger
, and his connection with Tessia. In a way, the school arc is essential to the plot since it has some parts that is the cause of events that happen in the future.
3) Although I had already mentioned it, I'm gonna say it again. The reason there is no updates is because the drawers are on break right now until a month from now. Season 2 had ended, and that is the reason of their break.
4) There are no raws for this. Do you know why? BECAUSE THIS IS A COMIC. NOT A GODDAMN MANHUA. THERE IS NOTHING TO TRANSLATE SINCE THIS WAS MADE IN ENGLISH.

Group Leader
I agree with LordOfKingDerp. At first, the writing of the novel is not very good. But, as Lord says, take into account that this is his first story. I also agree that the writing is getting much better as it goes along. (Be careful not to criticize too quickly!)
For whoever said the writer was a weeboo... Well... He's also the one who wrote the comic lol

(Lord, korean comic is manhwa, not manhua. Manhua (chinese) are different, it doesn't read the same way. There are pages, it's not a vertical reading.

had read this on a different site and it was great. some inconsistencies here and there but it's overall a great read and i recommend it

Very good comic. Arts are cute and interesting story. Stonks. But don't you think there're too many children in this comic?

Double-page supporter
I’m just gonna say this I’ve read both the comics and the novel and here are my 2 thoughts
1)the comic crew are gods

2) Or the comic crew enlisted the help of multiple gods

Double-page supporter
@noopertion
Would like too note the we follow the mc from birth while he may be a fighting god emotionally he is still a child also this isn’t a harem comic there is only one love interest Now I would say that world building is like drugs

Story always skip off the most hectic moments (months if not years), if you want to follow the mc throught all adventure without skipping then this is not for you (same for me). There is always a timeskip a every time the mc becames more distant. Some important things that he was taught (like absorbing mana while moving) are used for a couple of chapters like they are the most important thing on earth, but after that they goes unnoticed.

I know there isnt an English version but is there a reason given? I know its translated elsewhere.

@SirAllen : Check the language sign on top besides the title to find original language. lo and behold its english. This is a western comic heavily inspired by isekai and similar japanese and eastern comics. Since its originally in english there isnt going to be a "translated" english version for it. You have to either read it by paying money in Tapas or pirate it from other well known sources that dont mind hosting offcial rips.
This series is pretty good. If it were originally japanese or korean or chinese i wouldnt be surprised to see it in the top 10% here.

Users who are viewing this thread