The Flower Dances and the Wind Sings - Ch. 4

So far, this is like the Cat’s in the Cradle of webcomics. With how she assumes her son would want to interact with her after being ignored his whole life.

Also good job falling asleep after telling him you never wanted to do family duties and rather enjoyed going to parties with sparkly lights 👏 perfect thing for your neglected son to hear

Dex-chan lover
Ah yes, 15 years old.
The age to angst and blare Untitled by Simple Plan... Or is it Billie Eilish now?

I'm not a mother myself. But after spent years resenting my mom because of.. things, and then was hit by the Truth, I kinda sympathize with the FL. Like the lesson I learned from said Truth is, her, first and foremost is a human first, mother second. So ofc she had her own struggles, needs and desires. So does Elena (what's her name again lol). As we can see her life was happy, she was content. Ofc this doesn't excuse her neglect, but it's understandable. If you wanna blame her, then blame her husband to. Parents consisted by two persons, after all. He looks cold towards their son, but at first demanding her to take care of him (prologue). Why won't you doing the same now, hm?

Fed-Kun's army
Who cares if she falls asleep? It's clear that they spoke for a long time considering that when we saw her sleeping it's dark outside and that there is a small time skip before that. We don't even know in what context she fell asleep, maybe they stopped talking before she did and she was just there while he was working like she said he should do when she arrived or whatever. The son doesn't seems to mind that she fell asleep so why so many people here do?

Not really FL's fault because she became a mother when she was really young. At least she understands her mistake and is trying to reconcile. 10 for her effort.

I know she has her hardships that made her neglecting her son. but we can't compare that era to this modern era. in this modern era we consider 17 years old is young and our environment is different. they still play and learn and build their social network.

However, in that era, marriage and having children in young age is very common and base on her past, she was educated beyond this era's lady education which they normally teach ladies is a wife lesson or manage house. the female virtue in that era is taking care of family and house which she failed.

It's that as she mentioned about She loves to go to parties more than doing others. it's her own stupid problem that unwilling to miss parties and venting her unwillingness to her son (a duty that force her to respond). and I'm not sure while she busied attending parties how much she did manage the mansion and others.

However, in my opinion, she is not that badddd. the author make her mistake look so severe that she neglect the son and what result so far. Actually, attending parties is required for aristocratic society ( ok, she might go to often). Also, She didn't hit her son or vent her emotion to the child by scolding or lock him in the room or make him have bad experience. For me, she might not be a good mother but she is also not a bad mother.

Dex-chan lover
@SunSaki Apparently according to marriage records in medieval Europe, most marriages occurred in the persons’ 20s. So not as common as you think. Besides, modern sensibilities sees 17 as not being an adult yet because society has come to learn that people of that age haven’t fully matured yet (actually studies show that the brain doesn’t develop fully until age 25, but ain’t nobody waiting that long for someone to become a contributing member of society). It’s not like everyone simultaneously developed slower so the age of adulthood had to be raised. Is she a good mother? No. Does it excuse her behavior? No. Did outside factors play a part in why she wasn’t a good mother and might’ve turned out not so bad had she had support to help mitigate those factors? Yes.

But yeah, I agree, as far as bad parents go, there’s far worse than her. She’s neglectful, but it’s not quite the same as abusive. Not good by any means, but not as bad.

@Bunnyx imo a middle term would be ideal; 15yo just looks too little too late to realistically build any meaningful bond on just 3 years.... is important to just not erase her wrongdoings but if he was 10-12yo the plot could have been more interesting since he would be aware of her coldness but also would still need her.

The current Vincent is only physically away from a grown ass man, is not like he really needs a mother going forward.

I'm actually really vibing this. My mother also had my older brother when she was 17 and she's told us (when we were older of course) that, to put it kindly, she wouldn't recommend it.

Fed-Kun's army
@Sunsaki Like I commented in an other chapter, 17 is very young for giving birth even for that era. The era represented is around the 17th/18th century and back then, in Europe, women usually married in average at 25 yo and not very young like we usually think.

And btw you can see in the first chapter that when she has already given birth, she is still the only one in her group of friend who is married. And at 22 when she goes back into the high society you can see other women her age criticise her because she isn't with her child, implying they don't have child because if they had, they wouldn't be there or at least wouldn't be criticising her about it.

I wonder if part of the reason she started to neglect Vicente involved post partum depression mixed with not being able to do what she do when she was single/ newly married to Harsen?

Users who are viewing this thread