The Flower That Was Bloomed by a Cloud - Ch. 49

Fiction is fiction. It's not a signal of our moral compass. It'd be like policing people for rooting for anti-heroes. Maybe people want to explore different ideas they'd never touch explore IRL. In the end it's entertainment, we want to see what is most interesting to us. It's not a harmful thing to root for villains/terrible people as long as we don't conflate it with real life, or idealize terrible behaviors. I wouldn't date Dowun, but I don't mind Dowun x Hong Lyon.

Dowun is a character with many flaws, and that's what gives him depth. His wishy-washy, shady actions are interesting. I want to know how he'll turn out. I wonder how he and Hong Lyon may improve their relationship, how they will, if they even will. There's a lot of imbalance in this relationship, how will they achieve harmony? It's a pairing with many possibilities and things to contemplate at in terms of character interactions.

Baek Han is a wonderful person, but there isn't much to explore about his character other than his past. He was an orphan who was taken in by a sword master (or whatever). He doesn't really have flaws to his personality in that he doesn't have a darkness inside of him. His relationship with Hong Lyon does not have internal problems; they get along very well. If they are the main couple, then the story is about them vs the world. It's a wonderful pairing, but there isn't much to say regarding character interactions other than power/rank differences, which is their main conflict.

If I had to be honest, in some of the romances I read, I ship the person who I think looks better, regardless of how terrible they are. Maybe some people think Dowun is better looking, and prefer him purely for that reason. That's fine, too.

I absolutely love Dowun's character. Wouldn't mind seeing him and Hong Lyon at all. And to be clear: I mainly ship Baek Han x Hong Lyon.

@Tammy
That is utterly not true. Fiction shows what kind of person you are. If you think an abusive relationship should happen in fiction, it says things about you.
Fiction is a mirror of reality, and what you write, read, or believe is emblematic of your own character.

@Audettey Wow you are SO wrong. If you cannot differentiate between fiction and the real world and adjust your moral compass accordingly it says a lot more about YOU.

According to your logic I'm apparently really okay with torturing and killing people just because. Cause that's what I do in games (e.g. Dead By Daylight). And almost all games are fiction too.

Whelp, the people around me better watch out I guess 🤷‍♀️

@Audettely
No one is condoning an abusive relationship in fiction/reality. I think the reason why @Tammy said "I ship the person who I think looks better, regardless of how terrible they are," is because he/she knows that people can change (Whereas us reader know for a fact that Dowun will change because he's the ML, but I'm simply just talking about this comic specifically and not other manhwas.

Dowun's personality allows him to thrive in the political landscape but he has a lot of growing to do in the romance department. He is a perfect adviser but terrible at dealing with emotions since emotions are like cracks in the armor.

Double-page supporter
Whatever's left of Dowun's gonna die when he finds out she sold the earring. For dumplings.

@Steamedtoast
No, I didn’t pull the video games = violence card. I wasn’t talking about violence but relationships, in this example, abusive.
If you think an abusive relationship is cute in fiction, it can often say something about noticing signs in real life and how you perceive them.
If you are going to completely misread what I said, I guess the people around you should watch out ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

@chninau
I know that no one is explicit condoning a real abusive relationship, but by saying it’s okay in fiction, it blurs the line of what’s okay, and can be problematic.
And also, if Dowun does change, they will still be in a toxic relationship, but I don’t think he can because of how power hungry and conceited he is.
Also also is Dowun or Baek Han the ML? Because I mean, I don’t really know haha.

I just really want to understand why Dowun is doing this. Is it because he's jealous/afraid of losing Hong Lyon? Is he afraid that she'll call off the engagement and marry Back Han (so his plan of his clan gaining power will perish?) The reason why I think most people ship Dowun and Lyon is because they want Dowun to change his behavior and the way he acts because they know he'll change (since he's ML). Regardless, I ship Baek Han and Lyon rn because of they are caring towards one another, but it would make me happy if Dowun changes the way he acts. I wonder if he's going to change his behavior because he's seeing them interact all lovey-dovey, but it might be just because he want power.

@Audetty
Oh I've seen comments where they said Dowun was the ML. I personally believe that implementing an abusive relationship in a story is okay (because it's fiction and not real) but I understand where you're coming from. We know that it isn't okay, but it does make the plot interesting to see where it'll fall next. With Dowun changing, I'm talking about the way he makes decisions, because he's doing acts that benefits both him (and Lyon) but mainly him, because he's wants power. If he would to consider putting feelings into account instead of raw intellect like "is this unreasonable or reasonable" then the relationship of DowunXLyon would change.

@cinic
Yeah, I agree with you! If it wasn't for Dowun, Lyon would literally be a helpless child, being naive and whatnot. Dowun was just changing the way she thinks because makes decisions based on the mind rather than the heart. Remember the chapter where Dowun's little brother told her that she's just like Dowun? Yeah, that's what I'm talking about. And when Dowun complained saying that Lyon was being more like her "younger self" around Back Han literally pissed me off LMFAO, but anyways.

They mutually agreed on giving each other what they wanted, but Lyon wants love/craves for love in a relationship instead of a mutually agreement. Dowun taught her that the world wasn't all rainbows and sunshines and helped her succeed the crown, which is why I root for their ship, but I'm happy either way.

@cinic LITERALLY THOOO 100% agree. He literally taught her how to become an empress and plan schemes to succeed (for both of them)

@chninau People do change, and characters often see character development, whether for better or worse. However, my hope for the better looking guy to change isn't the main driving force for me shipping the relationship. I just feel more strongly towards the character because they're better looking, therefore I prioritize their happiness over the other guy who is nicer but not as good looking 😂.

@Audettey People have the ability to separate reality from fiction. I stan a serial killer character from another franchise (Jhin from League of Legends). I'll say it without shame: I want him to keep murdering people, for him to kill his enemies and run free. But it's funny, I think killing and violence are absolutely abhorrent in real life. I don't support the death penalty at all. I recognize that what he does is wrong. I may support him, in his fictional world which doesn't have significant, if any, bearing on reality, but I would not condone his actions in our world, if he was an actual person in our world. My love for this character, despite his crimes, does not increase my tolerance for killing or violence. How can this be? Because what I support in fiction doesn't necessarily correlate to how I am in reality. I don't let my love of the character influence my morals as they apply in real life.

I don't see why your argument would not apply to video games. You are arguing that preferences in fiction reflect back on a person's nature ("Fiction shows what kind of person you are . . .
Fiction is a mirror of reality, and what you write, read, or believe is emblematic of your own character"), but this isn't true. If your logic is true, then violent video games would inspire higher crime rates, but they don't.

People are free to like what they want. It doesn't become problematic until it manifests into problematic behavior, or they idealize problematic behaviors. But people don't always idealize the crimes/terrible things that their beloved characters do.

Also, it wasn't revealed who the ML is yet. I think the raws are only 2-4 chapters ahead; this isn't based on a novel AFAIK.

At this point I’m not really shipping hong lyon with anyone lol. Just rule your country gurl

Users who are viewing this thread