The Fragrant Flower Blooms With Dignity - Vol. 9 Ch. 65 - Face to Face

edd324b4c9dcda260fd4ec3293cd1a4c.jpg

Dex-chan lover
what does she mean :unsure:
she's in culture shock because ppl who were thought one thing when the world doesn't reflect what they were thought ppl don't really know what to do. ppl also don't really like change in general that's why culture shocks are such a big problem that ppl can't overcome. if you think something about a group of ppl and the inverse may end up being true it breaks down your understanding of the world and that makes anyone very uneasy. if they were "just like chidori" her stance wouldn't need to be challenged and her viewpoint would only be reinforced. facing ones own preconceived notions and stereotypes that they have of others is one of the hardest things to do and feels really shitty because the body doesn't know how to react. that's why it usually enters a self defence fight or flight state and why most ppl won't change but either dismiss or double down because that's the natural inclenation of humans to avoid that type of existential dread that can't really be explained because the only real answer is that you were wrong but your whole mind is screaming at you no that isn't true.

Dex-chan lover
Girl feels bad because she isn't the best in Kikyo.
Girl feels extra bad because she isn't the best even in Chidori, which is supposed to be a delinquent school.

Yeah. We don't really feel for you girl.

jak

Contributor
Why is she so adamant about wanting Chidori to be this horrific place?

Dex-chan lover

You see the flashback with her grades and she's mostly middle-to-low in her year. Given how much empahsis Japan places on kids being good at school and the best and student rankings, especially for those that are going to a prestigious school like hers, she probably felt like she was dumb for being middle-of-the-pack among her peers. But she probably also held onto the fact that Chidori students were supposed to be these terrible, rowdy, stupid delinquents as a way to prop herself up. Like "I may not be smart by my school's standards, but at least I'm smarter and better than them." sort off thing.

Only now she finds out they're nothing like she believed. They're nice and friendly. They apologized for their rude behavior and forgave the rudeness against them. And then she finds out that one of those stupid delinquent losers was even smart enough to teach something to Kaoruko and Subaru, two of the smarter and most well regarded girls in the school. So it shatters her view/self-image because she likely defined herself as "still being way better than those idiots" only to find out that they're not idiots and she's not any better than them or smarter than them. So she's left wondering about what it means if they're not so dumb and she's not that smart compared to her classmates. And maybe to her it means that she really is dumb after all.

Dex-chan lover
And then surely our "airheaded ice breaker" Usami went and ask Sawatari to come and study together with them. With Saku as the one teaching ofc :kek:

Dex-chan lover
i'm pretty sure she feels guilty.
their image of chidori were rude, loud, dumb, reckless, etc etc types of students, but now that she knows how they actually are, she feels guilty. if they were exactly like the way she imagined them to be, she'd be able to continue hating them with no problem, but now she realizes how terribly she labeled them.
im assuming the only reason she came was to justify her previous hatred of them, but she kind of already knew they wouldn't be exactly how she thought they were, so that was why she's been uncomfortable since the beginning.
the characters in this story feel so real, it's great
(also could be an inferiority complex, yeah)

Dex-chan lover
Yes, this is what I'm talking about. A shitty character. She can't accept some Chidori students is better than her or equal to her peers in Kikyo. She probably struggle in her school and her grade cannot be compare to others, and find solace thinking that, at least, she is better than the one in Chodori.

But the reality burst her bubble and shocked her. She can't accept it.

Dex-chan lover
I think her train of thought is more along the lines of "Why can't you just match the image I had in my head so I can be justified?"

People like stereotypes because they're simple, and many people want the world to be a simple place, with simple problems that have simple solutions, and simple people we can easily categorize. Facing that means you have to admit that those you're stereotypeing are complex and likely more like you than you're comfortable with; your labels for them break down and you're forced to admit you were wrong about them. And people hate that feeling.

Users who are viewing this thread