The Good Deeds of Old Adventurer Kane - Vol. 1 Ch. 3 - Don't Screw With Me!!!

Fed-Kun's army
I'm guessing the shrine is for some long-forgotten fate god that wanted to bless Kane with the legendary fruit, knowing he'd give it to the s-rank group...?

CBC

Aggregator gang
For what it's worth, apologies to those that already read this, but big spoilers under here
On one hand, I can see where the Princess and Saint are coming from, this dude without a second thought helped to save the Saint's at a hectic loss, while trying his best to help support an orphanage that seemed to have been forgotten by the Church until the Saint came by thanks to him. However, where they both completely and utterly fail is how the two are thanking him without a thought to what the man himself wants, even with their party leader and the guild receptionist trying to drag the two to a saner path.

What kills me though is that he was in one hell of a rut thanks in part to some past trauma that may or may not have gotten better over time, but it was still there, notice the shaking hand and along with the flashback we got of a woman dying in his hands, that kinda paints a bit of a bleak picture of his mental state up until that moment he gave the princess the fruit. So maybe while all of this attention on him from the Princess and Saint is not something he wanted, it might be something that he actually needed, luckily there are people around acting as moderating influences and are available to support him when he needs it. Like in the LN, the Receptionist actually has him sleep in her Dorm Room as a way to protect him from the Twin Vipers and to help him deal with his trauma after killing that guy, can't fucking believe that the manga skips one of the moments that pretty much proves that the receptionist is one of the best girls of this series...

Anyways, it is one of the recommended treatments for those dealing past traumas, either introducing new elements into their lives or changing their living environment entirely, though clearly not as sudden or to the extent that the Princess and Saint are doing it. That just leads to more trauma, but the MC is a tough old man some supportive people in the wings, so he'll be alright.
Tl;dr the Princess and Saint are overdoing it because they can't into interacting with normal people (something covered by the LN, those two literally do not think like normal people), but they are shaking things up and dragging the old man out a rut that might lead to a better mental space for him down the line, especially since he has other people willing and ready to support him when he needs it.

@Merilirem
An earlier chapter answers that question of yours, along with why he had stalled as an Adventurer. He lost a party member and perhaps his main squeeze, and the event utterly traumatized him.

Code:
Mod Note: Please use spoiler tags when talking about chapter-specific or future events.

Dex-chan lover
Really, the crux of the matter is they’re pushing him a bit too fast. And without his permission. Against his will. This almost feels like
the hero’s journey mixed with Kafka.

@CBC
I'd argue a bigger problem that I don't feel you addressed properly is that the saint and the princess aren't trying to fix his trauma. Even if they end up helping him heal, that is clearly not their objective. They don't seem to even think he has trauma(at least they don't act like they do), they are forcibly trying to make him live up to some dellusional image they built of him where he is an immaculate saint with boundless kindness and a sword prodigy that just never got a call to adventure, and that is even more unhealthy than leaving him alone.
Not to mention, I wouldn't be ok with professional psychoanalysts just up and deciding to treat someone's PTSD by any means necessary, much less crazy people with no qualification on the matter. Even mage is just kinda looking at the whole situation mostly from their point of view, and she never actually confronts them anyway, she enables them completely and most of her concern is directed towards them, not him.
Nice to know about the guild guide, though, she sounds amazing and it's a sin that they cut that from the manga. Maybe with the benefit of hindsight, showing him cowering into a single woman's room out of fear from confronting the mob(which is not a strike on him in any way, btw, I'd be scared shitless if I was a glorified weed puller that suddenly killed some mobsters) would have made the crazies even more unlikeable for trying to throw him off the cliff mama eagle style, idk.
@GerryCerryBery
I am not going to deny any of that, but give me some credit, I admitted in my first post that the only reason I am so outraged and writing these walls is because I can't suspend my disbelief due to Kaine's reactions largely painting him as a nice person with no fighting talent being turned into a gladiator by crazy teenage girls trying to essentially groom him.
EDIT: I know it doesn't look like it, but I am actually having barrels of fun deconstructing the manga here. Coming up with analogies to how they are essentially forcefully putting him through the Krypteia rite of passage is so much fun.
I put my responses into spoilers to not litter the comment section with walls of text because I write too much

Legit ship the saint with mc
Kinda like the sword one first half not gonna lie but author said "sike"

Aggregator gang
..... stupid princess........ THAT ONLY WILL BRING HIM EVEN MORE MISFORTUNE YOU *PEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP*

Dex-chan lover
haha, that kinda escalated quickly. let's hope he receives that pledge and the power involved rather sooner than later. :D

oh yeah, and thanks for the chapter :3

Dex-chan lover
So, it seems like MC's LCK stat is very, very high. I suspect the unnamed forest goddess has a hand in this.
And wtf this all female S-rank party... stop trying to pile up achievements in MC's name! He's going to die young at this rate.

Aggregator gang
@JGCR

Please believe me, when I tell you, that my post wasn't pointed at you or anyone particularly. I'm sorry, if you thought, that I tried to (indirectly) attack you or your opinion.

I love those kind of comments, because IMO it's a sign, that people are having more fun with anything meta regarding the manga than the manga itself. Especially if it has such glaring holes in logic, depiction or character development as in this one. It was more a general assessment sort of thing. Again, I'm sorry if you thought, that I poked fun at you or your opinion. It was clearly articulated, well thought out and didn't seem the least bit of angry or toxic to me.

Just keep having fun as most of us do, when coming to this site.😃

Users who are viewing this thread