The Hundred Ghost Stories That Led to My Death - Ch. 82 - Ghost Pipes (Monotropastrum Humile)

Dex-chan lover
in general I'm not too fond of the "ghost stories" where it's just someone acting on a simple curiosity
I get what you mean. It is (sort of) justified by the fact that the characters are children, but it doesn't feel scary enough if you're not also a child

Dex-chan lover
The implication of Possessed Hina's story is that Masa killed Yota and buried him in the backyard so his corpse becomes fertilizer for more ghost pipes. This could go on - once the homegrown ghost pipes are about to run out again, then Masa will probably introduce some other sucker (lol) to the ghost pipe addiction so he can later kill them too and grow some more. In my overthinking brain this could easily be a stand alone manga with Masa eventually being able to rule the world by leading a ghost pipe mafia lmao.

It definitely doesn't feel like the usual Hina story, because it isn't really her telling it - but it is still related to the framing narrative. The story can be interpreted as the Entity telling "us" that the 100 stories ritual is similar to an addiction, and the only way Yuuma can prevent his own death from it is to basically sacrifice other people.

Dex-chan lover
For a second I thought maybe she was going to grant a wish or something.

Dex-chan lover
WHO ARE YOU!? YOU'RE NOT HINA! HINA'S STORY WILL BE HEART-TOUCHING!

AND YOU JUST TURNED ONLY YOUR BODY AROUND 180 DEGREE BUT NOT YOUR HEAD!

Dex-chan lover
I wonder if an analysis could be made from all the different characters that have told stories and how they relate to each character personality. Like we know Hina stories aren't as dark as the others for example and are a bit more bittersweet, but what about Yuuma or the policeman ?

Dex-chan lover
Yep, I could tell half-way through the story that this wasn't really a Hina story or at least wasn't really her telling it.
I did a double take at the owl head spin at the end, but at least she's still in there, somewhere. Thanks for the TL.

Thanks for telling me 30 years later :notlikethis: I need to go back in time and stop myself from drinking that delicious, safe nectar
If you are like me and have a Japanese Honeysuckle plant that grows wild around your home, know that the namesake sweet nectar is safe to taste. It's the berries that are apparently bad for you.

Dex-chan lover
Wait, was that her head physically all the way around or just a static manifestation of a face?

Because I think lil bro would be freaking the hell out if her neck was actually bent out of alignment.

Story this time was eh. Just Cain and Abel with a floral drug addiction.

Dex-chan lover
I know we were given a possessed Hina story to reveal that they can speak and switch consciousness at will while keeping Hina’s mind separate, but I really wanted to hear a nice story from Hina right about now.

Since her consciousness still exists and she isn’t completely replaced, I have hope that somehow Hina and Yuuma will survive what seems like an unstoppable inescapable ritual, without losing each other and themselves, like the flower kids.

That face followed by the backwards head thing was so extreme.

pasted from my previous comment: We know that Hina was controlled by “us” before, in chapter 40, but we never saw from her perspective. At that time she was moving on all fours, holding Umakin with her mouth like an animal without hands, at night, in secret.

i think that we are growing more powerful with each story, and at chapter 40, maybe at the time ”we” had limited abilities, and were less powerful than now. now “we” can possess a child and even keep up the appearance that we are human, walking and talking In broad daylight.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
I wonder if an analysis could be made from all the different characters that have told stories and how they relate to each character personality. Like we know Hina stories aren't as dark as the others for example and are a bit more bittersweet, but what about Yuuma or the policeman ?
Yuuma's stories reflect his current situation and/or mood. I see it as him trying to express his anguish which might just be him being unable to express thing directly, or conversely, because it's required for the ritual, then he might as well express his angst in the form a ghost story.

Both of the policemen told stories that are essentially saying "dude why are you killing us, we're only trying to save you". The first cop's story (Chapter 47) also has hints of telling the audience that Yuuma's case is not as straightforward as it appears (which the cop is implied to have realized after he got cursed), and that the audience should not judge him only by the things we have directly seen. The first cop even talked directly to "us" so it might also represent an attempt at pleading to "us" to leave the boy alone. Most importantly, both cops are presented as genuinely wanting to help because they realize that Yuuma's angst is misplaced - he should have sought their help instead of this occult deal.

As to why Hina's stories seem particularly mellow, it can be down to her having a deep sympathy for Yuuma (I think it's obvious she likes him), and because she knows this is something she herself started. She was the one who suggested the ritual to Yuuma in an attempt to talk him out of outright committing suicide from that window (again see Chapter 1). She was perhaps thinking it will distract him from suicidal thoughts for at least a couple months and he will eventually snap out of it. But then she realizes that Yuuma is actually doubling down on the whole thing precisely because of her suggestion. She feels helpless, not knowing what to do to help him anymore, so she ends up participating in the ritual as well in an attempt to at least stay close to him until the end. Along the way, it is implied that Hina, much like the cops, also slowly realizes that "we" are the culprit. If "we" actually are a photo of Yuuma's real parents, then Hina would surely recognize "us", so it also hurts her knowing that "we" are responsible for Yuuma's obsession in addition to her starting the whole thing in the first place. These conflicting emotions are what give her stories that more tragic, melodramatic tinge.

Looking at Chapter 80 again, I realized that the color page has a ton of hints. It of course has framed pictures of a person whose eyes move to look at the "camera" and even sort of come out of the frame, and the businessmen strolling around have their heads turned 180 degrees just like Possessed Hina. And the caption talks about eyes looking at you from everywhere being the true form of terror. From this and of course the narration in Chapter 1, I think it is safe to say that the key plot point here is that pictures of a (dead?) person can be a gateway to the underworld and whatever is looking at you from inside it is trying to get out.

Fed-Kun's army
Idk about the themes between their stories, but I was thinking that Hina's stories tend to have no violence, or have a story where the ghost helps someone.

Users who are viewing this thread