The Knight and Her Emperor

I knew it would happen but I sincerely hoped for some more interesting implications. Now it is quite trivial ...

It took a long time to build up the story, but once season one end I was half happy and sad. I liked the conquest arc. *shrugs*

After reading 33 chapters, here are my thoughts:
This webtoon has an interesting premice, it starts and develops well. Unfortunately, the author (obviously female) gives up consistency in favor of your typical shounen-ai series.
The main character acts and looks like a man, the artist has probably trouble drawing the difference between the two genres (women have distinctive traits, even brawny), it doesn't help the art style is very pure. MC is basically a guy, but the only thing that escapes the shounen-ai category is that he's called "woman", aside from that top to bottom, even personality is that of a guy. Love interests end up too perfect and pretty, they smile all the time, the usual cast of pretty boys is there : the shy, the handsome, the rude.

I've liked the beginning, but In the end it's just another shounen-ai in disguise. The lack of depth in male characters and the complete absence(is that a surprise?) of women (I'm not sure if it's right to call the MC a woman at this point haha) make this webtoon demographically very oriented for a female audience of which I don't belong.

Code:
Mod Note: Please use spoiler tags when talking about chapter-specific or future events.

@blacksages I do not agree with you. Just because FL is not feminine, nor cute nor romantic or whatever, just because she has abs, short hair and doesn't have more refinements, just because she is neither the shy girl who needs help neither the cool girl who's indepedent but still somewhat lady-like or whatever, just because doesn't care about what typical girls would think about, just because of this, you say she's a man ? Well, nope and it's kinda sad to have come this far in this manhwa and don't be a lil' bit more open-minded, because whatever you say, she remains fundamentally a woman and this is precisely what makes her attractive. Also, I shall remind you that the
ML realised his feelings toward that young girl, when she genuinely smiled, so you can't even pretend that he likes the virility of this woman either
and therefore you are completly wrong. 😳
And why should ya specify the gender of the author tho ? What does it have to do with the manhwa ? And what if she has trouble drawing the difference between the two genres ? I'm kinda disappointed.

@marikitaribut My mistake indeed, I can only blame myself for picking this webtoon, I've been given a shot to josei/shojo genre lately, but it turns out it's not my cup of tea.

urgh honestly this is a gem!! the FL and ML don't have the conventional "cutesy love" moments right now for sure, but i love that they grow in trust and faith in each other :")

This story is amazing! I love how buffed our fem!lead is and her character is so hilarious and refreshing. I also love those ongoing jokes the Emperor and Paul have with Sir Aino being the emperor’s lover and Paul the third wheel.

This is a great story and an interesting take. It’s been a while since I’ve seen such an unique female lead. No gross sexism, great sense of humour and Paul is being treated with respect. What I also love is how the emperor loves her for who she is. Tomboyish, brute, strong, loyal. Not at all how most guys or fiction would describe woman. That guy is def a keeper.

Users who are viewing this thread