The Monstrous Duke's Adopted Daughter - Ch. 53

Dex-chan lover
Let's run an assumption here.
If a noble is threatening her, in order to use her against another noble -- of a higher class, at that -- what is stopping her from divulging that information to get actual help? It's not like she's wiretapped.
I cannot even imagine what is there to stop her from going: "They're blackmailing me to drag you to into a trap, plz cooperate with me to take these asshats down."
Like, really now. That'd allow the MC to actually have ample preparation, rather than "just get one guard".

P.S: I too would like for the Sperado family to end already. They feel like a B-rated villain in an old cartoon, that constantly keeps coming back.
Just stop it already.

@Solipsist
I cannot even imagine what is there to stop her from going: "They're blackmailing me to drag you to into a trap, plz cooperate with me to take these asshats down."
It's a world with death curses that get triggered by using a specific words.

Dex-chan lover
@GodKing46
And...? As I said. No wiretap. They'll never know, and she gets to ask for help from people who are very likely to succeed, and help her.

@karasong
I vaguely remember something like that...But, do you really think that a fallen family, with no apparent spellcasters, and with hardly any standing connections, could actually afford to curse someone? I doubt it.
That only leaves the commoner with the belief that nobody will help her, which makes sense -- but not from our POV, because we know otherwise.
If it's the latter, it's really frustrating that the author even bothered to show us the nanny POV, which revealed this trap ahead of time. It's just bad writing.

Crossing my fingers they haven’t gotten to her her but if they did/when they do, that she doesn’t betray Leslie 😭

@Solipsist
The Salvatores have many enemies and the Sperados are in debt and have a motive, so basically they are perfect for by a power-hungry queen. If she is planning a coup, she needs to take care of the so-called shield of the empire first. At least that is what I think is happening.

I also don't think, that Eli is getting set up as a priest candidate by the royals, is just a convenient coincidence. Based on the Queens and the Emperor reaction, both of them already decided that they want to break the engagement. So why give her that useless task.

On the other hand I don't really know what to make out of her weird warning. Why tell a girl who is with two guards and a maid, that she shouldn't come alone to a restaurant in the middle of nowhere. It makes no sense to assume that she would come alone. It's vague but I hope this is supposed to mean that she should bring another family members with her.
At least that would make sense for someone who is targeting house Salvatore, not just Leslie. In the eyes of an enemy she is just a small fish next to one of her brothers, if we assume that the queen doesn't know of her powers.

Thank you for your great scanlations! I never read the nogroup snipers because y'all make such great quality!

Dex-chan lover
@karasong
I think you're making too much assumptions here, based on your generosity for this story.
Everything you wrote makes sense, in an isolated bubble that's unrelated to what we've seen thus far in the series. Right now, all I can see is the author bluntly showing to us a bunch of insane characters so we'd feel fearful for the MC. I highly doubt the queen, or anyone else for that matter, is involved in this maneuver. I believe the queen even gave up on the Sperados as a political tool.
That only leaves us with a bunch of wacky-doodle characters that are solely there to create contrived and artificial drama, tension and suspense.

Which, again, leaves me disbelieving completely that the commoner was actually cursed. I am willing to bet on it. As I said, it makes no sense in terms of storytelling, to give out so much information, but also hold out on it. We were bluntly told what the evil plan was, but we're not being told "why the commoner won't say anything". It's just a bunch of shitty writing, imo.
I may be wrong, I haven't read the raws. But it sure as hell wouldn't be the first time I saw this sort of unnecessary form of writing. I would've much preferred if we were only given very subtle hints of what the Sperados' think, and desire to do. Nothing blunt or explicit. We'd know what the MC knows. That'd leave us in her shoes, which I think is much more preferable overall.

Uh she just happen to run into her? And she said you must bring someone who can defend you? So weird...

Fed-Kun's army
@codydub03
probably answered a few things but 150 replies and they are all going to be about the same, so im not checking everything.

you have someone whos social status is high enough to do cover ups with their word alone
you are also in a time period where forensic evidence isn't around.
let me tell you how this goes.

she was told to do something
she got her kid kidnapped
they have a tail on her
if she does something, the tail tells, the kids throat is slit and disposed of
then any investigation would be someone of high rank against someone of low rank and it would come down to hear say.
she is doing what is likely the most she can do.

the thing you have to understand is cops are largely, in any time period, only going to do something after shit hit the fan, in this case, till the kid is already dead.

Fed-Kun's army
@alidan Oh, I almost forgot about this was.. I got most of my answers from the following chapter. I did eventually say that I was totally understanding about the ex-maids position.. I just was a little ranty about it since it seemed like a bit of lazy writing. There are also things you aren't taking into account which is why I've been saying at least with this one incident that its nothing but lazy writing..

-That sh**ty family lost the noble trial, which in turn made them be practically nobles in name only. (when we first learned about the noble trials, it told us about how BAD it would be for the family that loses.)
-The is a world of magic, not that its blatantly obvious as some others, but there is magic in that world.
-The world has "delayed information" which is precedent on many chapters.
-The MAIN thing is, the Duchess herself is shown to be extremely intelligent and able to manipulate things to how she wants.(she was able to win the noble trial even when it was set up by the empress for them to lose.)

It's like they have all of those things and portray them throughout the story then they throw a situation like this at us. I was just a bit peeved and vented is all xD.
However, next chp mamma duchess knows whats up.

Fed-Kun's army
Thanks for the chapter!
Betcha dollars to doughnuts the Sperrados kidnapped that woman's baby and that the chance meeting wasn't by chance. Hence why she invited Leslie to visit without a direct warning, but insisted should have Duchess' permission as well as a guard 'just in case'. Since the guard seems focused on getting together with his fellows to give the Sperrado's guards a sound beating when get time off I hope Leslie mentions the matter in detail to the Duchess sooner than later, that the Duchess notes the warning between the lines and takes action to save the woman and her child unharmed. Guess will just have to keep reading to see if ends well for everyone but the Sperrados or not.

@karasong I don't think they have death curses triggered by specific words, or at least haven't seen any sign of that. Granted that traitorous Salvatore servant keeled over after mentioning he was hired by the Sperrado, but it turned out he had been dying of poison for quite some time. The female butler mentioned that due to his personality the guy likely felt sick and saw physical signs of the poison as just a small illness to get over with time which is why did something really stupid by not visiting the temple or a doctor. Basically one of those types who believes universe will look out for them and bad things happen to other people not them.

Fed-Kun's army
@codydub03
true enough they lost, and its known he was shitty to many people, but I could also use that as a cover unless they ever got evidence.

and while magic could help, 3 degrees of separation could easily allow you to be cleared of any thing if there was a lie detector as they would not only have to find all those involved, they would also have to implicate you. while the noble trial did disgrace them, it didn't make them fall to the point a former maid making a wild accusation would be acted upon, at least in a timely enough manor to remove evidence.

this was more every time I see this plot point come up I see people who don't understand the situation ask 'why don't you go to the cops or tell someone'
lets put it this way, if you have a regular kidnapping, yes, go to cops/authorities
If you piss off the mob of someone in power who can watch you, the last thing you do is look like you told someone anything.

I literally cried...
But the maid... is she being forced by the Sperados? She seems like a nice person

Users who are viewing this thread