The Numbers - Oneshot

damn i didn't understand at first but after reading the comment,

ouch man, turns out it aint pretty

Group Leader
well said

I don't get why people are mad about the girl, it's not like she's lying to people to hurt them or manipulate them, nor she would talk bad about people behind their back I'm guessing. She's like Teruhashi from Saiki Kusuo no sai nan, she's actually very pretty, has good grades and good athletic abilities, she's basically perfect, but she can't go around saying the truth (or else she'd probably be hurting people then, and I'm betting she needs to lie her way out of difficult situations from creeps and other people bothering her, the kind of unwanted attention an attractif person gets), and she feels like saying nice things to people/encourraging them especially those like this guy who seemed really down and left out.
If a little white lie or two helps a friendless boy to feel a bit better isn't that fine? Again it's not like she's doing it mock him.

Anyway, it's interesting how this concretely shows how those who are popular/physically attractive in our societies's standards have to pull up a façade, while those who aren't can afford to be honest since they have nothing to loose. And how lies can often be a mean to protect others (like the girl) or ourselves (like the boy did) and not just to hurt, but how in a way it's all pretty sad.

Why you mofos mad, shouldn't you guys be happy of the fct that the girl's trying to be nice, even though she's a bad person she's trying her best to be a good person even though it's a lie get a fucking clue.

Dex-chan lover
@Dezir

Is it okay to lie if it doesn't hurt someone? She purposely approached him just to lie straight to his face.

"It's just, you weren't looking well, so I was worried..." (Not really. I want to seem like a good person.)
"They're just some dumb numbers!" (Numbers mean everything.)
"I think you have plenty of charm!" (You're disgusting, and you don't have any sort of charm to you.)

Aggregator gang
if we were to look at just aikawa and the protagonist's conversation, i think it was okay for aikawa to lie just to be nice. however, aikawa has almost a thousand lies. it makes you think what kind of thottery she's up to outside (or even inside) school.

aikawa lying to the protagonist also makes you think if she's just genuinely trying to be nice or if she's just using him to increase her popularity.

Dang, that is a pretty cool idea. At some point I thought it was the number of people who liked you since she had such a high number, but having it be the number of lies is way better. I would love to see this in some sort of serialized story. I was imagining a detective story where only the MC can see these numbers.

Fed-Kun's army
just imagine the how much the lawyer's numbers has haha

Group Leader
I actually find it a little hard to believe that those numbers are how many lies they told. Someone only told a dozen of lies before...? And a delinquent who fights a lot, too? If they are in high school and they only told one two dozens of lies, it's very hard to believe. We see that the number goes up even if the lie is trivial. No way those high schoolers only told a few dozens of lies in their whole life.

To me, it's more sensible that that's how many things you said that made someone else feel good. Dude probably had no sociability so he never said anything that made other people feel good before. Girl's number went up when she said things that motivated the dude, even though they might or might not be her honest thoughts.

But in both cases, a politician's number should probably exceed a million at least.

Cool plot twist, the numbers are completely off for a real world though as Mr_Detective said. Or maybe the author did intend that, figuring it out yourself is the wonder of Oneshots.

Users who are viewing this thread