The Saga of Tanya the Evil - Vol. 19 Ch. 54 - The Intervention Which Was Too Late V

Maybe I'm missing something here, but wasn't it the Republic and the Entente Alliance that one-sidedly decided to attack the Empire who only fought back in self-defense? They speak of the Empire like it's constantly waging wars to expand, but it was only formed, became strong as a result and then got attacked by it's neighbours. And now they have the balls to cry about injustice and how the Empire is a war-mongering nation? Like, they attacked, got beaten back and now whine that the 'evil Empire' has even more land than before, despite it being perfectly avoidable. Tell me I missed something here...

Dex-chan lover
Was just thinking about when the next chapter was going to drop

I think we’re at the point where the empire goes on the decline? I have to catch up on the LNs

@EmptyWords

No you’re right, and I think the point the author is getting at is how pointless the entire conflict was and is.

Dex-chan lover
@EmptyWords Welcome to History 1to1 where the stories are written by the winners. Honestly it happened so often it can make you sick.

Fed-Kun's army
@EmptyWords They could be falling victim to their own propaganda, though in my opinion, Being X is subtly corrupting people's minds to fuel the war to continue harassing Tanya. As an example of this:
In the light novel, the Federation's ruler S̶t̶a̶l̶i̶n̶ Joseph and his top advisor both had a dream at the same night of the Empire attacking the Federation (or something like that) and afterwards they were both filled with conviction that if they didn't attack the Empire, the Empire would attack them (even though they had no such plans)
I've read up to volume 8 and so far there is no obvious proof of this so it's just my speculation.

@commandodude

Well, that by itself does not explain all ... Like I said above, there was historical precedent to a government runaway to the colonies ( suposing that the early XIX century European history was equal there to ours ) and it was widely known that the UK had a similar plan to GTFO to Canada if the isles were overrun in our reality during the time period we're dealing here. So, while it is understandable that they were reasonably confident that the war was won, the absolute lack of even the slightest effort ( besides Tanya, that is ) to confirm if there was no risk of the not-France governement to pull a GTFO manouver is ... well, not smart :p

@shanca

Well, it is true that the aftermath of Napoleon III idiot war with Prussia was not the finest hour of France, to put it midly. But again, the not-Germany High Command just assumed the best possible scenario ( the one you described: total collapse of not-France ) and winged it. Note how easy it would had been to say to the 230th to explore the breach in the enemy lines after the breakout and hunt for the not-France governement instead of pulling them out to the subs, just in case they wanted to run to Brazzaville or Dakar : they were already behind enemy lines, they were trained to do deep incursions and had done one already ( against not-Kalmar Union ) and were definitely the best equiped to deal with the mages that would surely be protecting the higher-ups ... and this regardless of those higher-ups wanting to run away or not ;) .

Sure, hubris is the lietmotif of the Empire and the author needed to give them a fatal flaw ( because otherwise they would simply steamroll not-Europe ). But yeah, IMHO this , either here or in the anime ( can't talk of the LN ), was a stupid moment somewhat shoehorned in a so far stellar planning by the Empire.

Group Leader
this is when you push for unconditional surrender, and not stopping the advance to rout the fleeing armies especially if the rails are intact

@rrolo1 It isn't wise. Narratively, however, it's sorta expected. It has a historical "precedent" in the Battle of Dunkirk.

A bit of info from the LN:
In the LN the Empire agrees to a ceasefire after taking Paris. This stops Tanya from preventing a "repeat" of Dunkirk.
Not sure if my memory is accurate, but Zettour believed that the loss "France" suffered was critical enough to dissuade further war. He and the other generals didn't understand the perspective of the "French" generals and politicians so they believed "French" surrender was logical and would follow shortly.

Soft spoilers for future events:
A common occurrence in the LNs is that there is a disconnect between the political and military bodies of the Empire.
The Empire's war machine is excellent, but their political ability and foresight is incredibly lackluster.

@mathmango
In the LN it happens pretty much the same way as the manga. Tanya and her group go spotting for artillery against the few troops currently building defensive position on the outskirts of Parisii, although I guess outskirts still means urban areas but far from the center?
And cease fire next day so they didn't get to bomb deep on Parisii, but still different from the anime.

@OnlyHereForKurumi
Anime season one went to about 2/3 of volume 3 of the light novel. Movie skipped/rushed the end of volume 3 and did volume 4. The LN currently have 12 volumes out, and is still ongoing.

The manga raw, at least up to chapter 63 is nearing the end of volume 3 of the light novel.

@Atrius

If the author was taking Dunkirk as precedent ... well, I guess he should had studied a bit more :p Modern Historiography on the subject has thrown some sugestions that Hitler was ( stupidly, as events showed later ) playing the olive branch trick to the UK elites ( look, how nice we are on not butchering your army ... so, are we cricket on this? ;) ) while setting a smokescreen on the eyes of the guy he really wanted to take down, Stalin ( because, if there was peace in the west, Stalin would not take long to start having cold feet about that Austrian dude that had got to power by saying that Germans needed some Lebenstraum and that the Slavs were not entirely human ). A VERY diferent situation from the not-Germany here, you have to reckon ;)

On the spoilered part ....
Yeah, it was already shown in both manga and anime that the civilian part of the Empire is miopic at times and is always out of phase with the nature of the war they are neck deep in as this point. But not making a effort to capture the enemy higher-ups, that is 101 of military tactics and an acepted practice of warfare, is a error 100% on the High Command heads and quite an atypical one, especially with the 230th already deep inside not-France after taking the front HQ or even in this chapter, where they are put as spotters near not-Paris. I mean, they had the means and the oportunity twice to do a raid into Parisi and hunt for the higher ups and ... didn't. Sigh.

Dex-chan lover
go on, tell her.
pKXcKMJ.png

Fed-Kun's army
@rrolo1 Yep, battles and fighting the war is pretty much in the Empire's ball park but when it comes to political tactics and such, they aren't exactly the greatest.

Users who are viewing this thread