The Soulless Duchess - Vol. 1 Ch. 9

Everyone is under the impression that the other group ignored DnA, but read the authors note on the other chapter 9. They are clearly waiting on the readers response before replying.
I for one think this whole rift is ridiculous. They are practicing their translating, have NEVER claimed ownership to DnA scans nor stolen DnAs translated words. They are considerate to the readers, asking what we think is okay and what isnt, before proceeding.
DnA has excellent english while the other one does not, but I noticed their english improved with each chapter which is probably what they wanted.
I dont think either group should drop this. DnA takes time with each chapter so in the future when readers come across it they can still read the high quality scan over the practice one.
Also DnA you're being hypocritical for jumping to chapter 9 and dont really deserve to complain about sniping since you yourself skipped chapters. You dont own the right to solely translate it. It's like letting a child color in a picture while you also color one, ultimately the one that is liked more is the neater picture. Just keep translating while the other group practices.

so.... you snipe the sniper? from what i can see this is petty fighting ....why not cooperate to ease the burden then ? faster chapters will always be better than hoarding titles and then fail to regularly update them. ....
THIS IS if only this new group is really doing it without any malicious intent otherwise , both groups will end up dropping this series. And then nobody gets what they want...

I never understood why this "sniping" thing is considered rude, honestly. I am grateful to whoever translate a story originally written in a language that I do not understand, especially because in my country not many stories get officially translated, and that's it for me.
Is not of my concerning the reasons about why someone translate a story, be it a personal project, exercise, just wanting to do a nice thing, or whatever other reason. I find it very childish to argue about who came first in this case, especially when all people involved do it voluntarily. I could understand if there was a monetary issue around the matter, like stealing each other donations for example, but I don't even want to touch that topic with a long pole, because that would thrust us so hard in laws issues that our head would spin for years.
Apologies for so-so english. ^^"

Group Leader
Oh God, please translate 6-8, don't make me read the other version D: I've been waiting ;A;

Dex-chan lover
@_Kaoru_ Your group doesn't own the manga, neither does theirs, so this whole "sniping" rant is ridiculous.

@Kamikoto
Competition in scanlation is retarded.
Why are you regarding it as a competition instead of two different groups just scanlating the same thing? In what way do you see this being detrimental?

Dex-chan lover
@ImperfectPurity Exactly. I mean they're all not supposed to be translating this stuff anyways. There's no such thing as honor amongst thieves. Lastly, Devil and Angel was doing this translation monthly before so I see literally no issue with this other group catching us up.

Always funny to see when pirates trying to protect their ego and self-importance.
You DON'T have ANY right on the manga when you decided to translate something. You don't have the monopoly on that.
As a reader, I will decide what translators to choose and what is more convenient and good enough. Wanna that people read you? Make it better and faster. You do not have the rights to indicate what to do and what is bad for me or "community"

Usu

I appreciate your efforts in delivering quality scanlations, but as many have said you honestly don’t have any right to “claiming” this manhwa any more than the other group. Just leave it to your readers to decide whether or not they want to read your version or the others! It honestly shouldn’t matter, unless you guys are just in it for the numbers/popularity /:

Your translation is much better than the other group’s. I would rather wait for you to upload your translation than reading their’s even if they upload them first. So don’t be dejected and please continue your hard work. All of us really appreciate you and will continue to support your group. 🙂

I don't blame y'all if you drop this one.

Let all these people who think sniping isn't detrimental suffer when the sniper gets bored and stops translating and this series is ultimately dropped forever.

It doesn't really matter who translates. You're not really the official translation group who got a pass from the author.
You guys say snipping is bad but you guys sniped too. Welp. Walk the talk DnA. Walk the talk.

At this point if you guys at DnA decide to not only stop translating this but step out of the translating work altogether I won't even be surprised.

It won't even be a defeat or whatever stupid troll likes to taunt people with, like with blocking in twitter, but pure self-care.

Stay strong and do the best for you!

Dex-chan lover
I still wait for your uploads since I can't bear reading poor quality translations.

I, for one, actually hope you don't drop the series. Personally, I just blocked the no names, so I am with you guys to the bitter end. The no names first and only release is their sniping of this series, which leads me to think they are trolls trying to get you to drop this series. Their baiting and farming the comments seem designed to antagonize you. Do note that you guys have support.

Thank you very much DnA, I'd much rather wait for an actual quality translation than read the sniper garbage. Please keep up the hard work.

Group Leader
Cooperating may sound nice, but there's really nothing they can do together. The other group only cleans speech bubbles from what I've seen, which hardly qualifies as work. DnA cleans and redraws sfx and any other text that overlaps with the art. The translation quality is on an entirely different level as well, so even if you tell them to work together, there's no work the other group could do.

@criver We wouldn't be having this drama if it wasn't detrimental. Of course DnA doesn't have any rights to this webtoon and they can't tell the other group what they're allowed to do. But it obviously is a competition. There's no point to releasing a chapter that's already out and both groups are of course aware of that. Which is why the other group "sniped" instead of releasing the same chapters and why DnA skipped chapters to release a new one.

The other group now released chapter 9 as well, but what's the point? DnA released the chapter first which basically made all the effort the other group put into their own chapter worthless. And that's gonna be the same for every chapter from now on. Whoever releases first makes the work of the other meaningless. Of course in this case I'm ignoring the difference in quality, but to a lot of people it doesn't seem to matter anyway. As a scanlator I wouldn't want to bother with that. Depending on the chapter, the group size and the quality you aim for, scanlating can take several hours to several days. If I was DnA, I'd drop this series. Having your work become meaningless sucks and it'll happen again and again as long as two groups work on this series. Of course it would be nice if both groups would just release chapters, both at their own pace, but that's not gonna happen. It never happens when a series gets sniped. My bet is on DnA dropping this series soonish.

> But it obviously is a competition. There's no point to releasing a chapter that's already out and both groups are of course aware of that.

No. If your translation much better then people will wait for your release.

I personally skipped no name translation after low res skans but again. You don't have any right to stop them or publicly shame their decision (but you can do it for their translation).

I totally understand that snipping is such a dick move to the point that I feel people don't really get the amount of work that is done to get a chapter done.

However there is something that really threw me off from T/N but maybe it's my poor comprehension since English isn't my native language. I don't think they need your permission to post chapters for these necessarily. It's ultimately "free game" since we don't really own anything it's just that the scanlation community has, over the years, these unwritten rules and common practice, and ultimately human common courtesy which is rightfully deserved. There aren't necessarily rules but if one has been in the community long enough, you respect other groups works.

However, yes I understand my privilege as just a reader all I have to do is sit and scans will fall on my hands, I just feel it's tiresome to be so up and arms about snipping to this extent that you're writing each other off on the T/Ns. I read plenty of works on here on mangadex that have two groups working on them, and the readers choose their preference. I think at the very least people reading at mangadex because of it's history from batoto etc, plenty of readers on here do have a niche and it's not all about "who posted first" this isn't m*ngarock or some other shit where they just post whatever they get first. All groups have equal credits and all of these are available for whatever preference the reader will have.

Personally, I do prefer DnA's scans just because I started the first 5 from it and because I notice differences not just from proper English but from the word structures, the texts, how they center, etc. It definitely triggers my OCD and it's just awful. The worst thing about snipers is they just decide to use there own terms and it really throws you off if there's already been an established way of the terms. I'd be better if they restarted from the first chapter again instead of going off from a previous team.

BUT I'm not going to invalidate the frustration DnA must feel. I'm so sorry that DnA has to deal with someone like this of course. I think it's kind of sneaky to ask the readers for opinions because obviously they're going to get some sympathy out of it. It's just so manipulative. Especially the fake ignorant manner of speaking they use. It's such an ass thing and it makes me despise their works more rather than their poor QCing.

Obligatory sorry for my bad English.

Please don’t skip chapters, your translations are so much better.

e: I blocked the other group. It’s clear they’re just rushing out bad work for attention. Pretty soon they'll start begging folks to follow their site, social media, etc, and then the money begs will start.

Users who are viewing this thread