The Soulless Duchess - Vol. 2 Ch. 55

@mahtan that is exactly the problem. why shouldn't she work as a crown princess, as a vice head of state? she is obviously an educated intelligent woman who is good in leading people and making decisions. Nothing against wishing her a loving husband/children and a joyful life, but I think we all know the fulfillment a job well done brings. he said, he wished she had a brother to take on the job. for him (and most of society) women exist to support their men and bear them children.
that she is able to act so means he has fulfilled his job as a father and rolemodel, being a leader doesn't mean being able to do everything, it means being able to see who can do the job (best) and delegate, or how do you see it?

Dex-chan lover
@buecherwurmin
As a parent you want the best for your children and having to work as little as possible is part of "the best".
Working in itself is something that humans tend to want to avoid if possible and not wanting the children to work but rather live happy with no worries is the ultimate goal for a parent.
There is also the reason humans still tresure females more than males for simple reproductive circunstances, which is the reason even today society bend over backwards to protect females and provide then with what they want even when what they want is detrimental to society as a large.
Given the level of technology seen in this series it is possible to assume that even simple jobs present high health/death risk, as it was in the real world at the same level of technology, even taking magic into account which has been shown to have negative effects on the development of medicine because of their forced reliance on the temples. Also being head of state is a gruesome job and not always a glorious one which can be seen by how even presidents, that don't have as much to worry about as kings had, quickly age when in office, and if a war were to break out the head of state would be require to head the army in the war, not always but most times it would happen even when the head of state was female, so not wanting his only daughter to have to risk her health working in that enviorement is a logical decision even if taken out of sentimentalism instead of a pure logical stand point.

Double-page supporter
"You did all that without the help of men?" Big oof moment right there. I mean, I can understand this father wants his daughter to just live happily without having to worry about politics or working, but dude she's way more capable than you think and she's obviously fit for the throne. She clearly wants it, and she's your only child(I think?), so just announce her as your heir already!

@mahtan
you have a point in what you say, only two things
sure, noone wants work that tires one out, physical or mental, not to mention health risks - but doing nothing really makes you not happy, especially when forced on you
and if we are talking about the health risks of a medieval time, becoming mother was a big risk in itself - and neither makes being the wife of a leader your life safe or easy

Dex-chan lover
We could be headed for a full-on confrontation between church and state here. The state backs the remedy solution to the pandemic, the church is headed towards declaring it heretical. Who will be stronger?
Right now the state looks stronger because, frankly, they're fixing the problem and the church did nothing effective. The people might back royalty over the priesthood. Secondarily, Duke Agentine is a church bigwig in his own right and he backs the state strongly on this; if the church really were to break with the state over the matter they wouldn't be united. On the other hand, tradition and religious belief are strong.
One way or another, a conflict would weaken the country, and there are these demonic types waiting to take advantage of any weakness. Still better than the scenario where the plague just rages, though.

@mahtan Disagree on several levels. First, despite being personally fairly lazy, "having to work as little as possible" is never what I've wished for my children. Sure, I don't want them worked to the bone with ridiculously long hours, but what I would want is for my kids to have meaningful work that treated them fairly, so they could have a decently prosperous life, reasonable leisure, and feel like they're doing something worth while. Studies make it fairly clear that people would mostly prefer to work than be idle if given the choice. Just, not 12 hour days or what.
Second, society does nothing like what you're saying. When men have dominated society, where they still do, it is done for the benefit of men, not women. The pretense otherwise is a self-hypnosis thing that antifeminists do to make them feel good about taking the goodies. It's propaganda that some men buy because they really, really want it to be true. But it ain't, and guys with guts face it.

She's not a princess, she's obviously a queen already, she has the skills, the mind, and the will to take care of the people; give her the damn throne and stop being so petty, dude!!!! Geez, I understand the pov and values of his time, but this is not about sex, this is about capability, and the princess and the other two nobles ladies are already showing how good and capable they are.

They're willing and ready to do whatever it takes to protect the Empire, they're so lucky to have these talented people, give them more power and shut up. uwu

Double-page supporter
Love this energyyyy! Also all i'm saying is Lady Keldon seems competent, intelligent and well connected... she'd make a great wife to the future empress 👀

Yeah might be time for a queen - the princess seems capable.
Wonder who is going to be her consort though. Hopefully not god damned Gaspal.

When our mc and lady Keldon were shown side by side it really showed how ordinary our protag looks. I thought it really fits since she only changed from ordinary because of her reincarnation

An interesting turn, for sure. There hasn't been much said about women's rights or the authority female nobles and royalty wield in this story, but it's definitely a good thing that the narrative has begun to shine a light on these things, as well other characters aside from our dear Duchess and her hubby.

Users who are viewing this thread