The Villainess' Slow Prison Life Began with Her Broken Engagement

Group Leader
@criver
"depiction of cruelty" has never stopped anything from being josei or seinen. I was honestly shocked this was not considered a light novel (since LNs are sold according to their demographic category, this is just a novel, not light)

@criver
Target demographics being decided by publishers, period. You might like it or might disagree with it, it even can be changed by them - it doesn't mater, because that's the only official definition. If you give "power" to decide target audience to random people, you will never get to the bottom of it because everyone will be disagreeing with everyone, while anyone outside of your little sandbox will ignore it completely.
So the next best thing is to just analyze the tropes, techniques, and art employed in a work.
That's stupid and involve a lot of needless guesswork by a lot of people. This discussion is a prime example of how it can be: "it's a shoujo", "no, josei", "no shounen", etc.
xxxHoLic was shounen, then seinen, but it looks like your typical josei. Otome Kaijuu Caramelize looks like honest to god shoujo, but it's seinen. Why? Because publisher decided it. Simple as that and there's no need for wild guesses based on personal opinions or some "tropes".

Dex-chan lover
@Solistia I think you meant to write shoujo or shounen. But that's what's written: https://ncode.syosetu.com/n5577es/

Pretty sure it also qualifies as a light novel if we take the informal definition. So I don't think you were wrong to think it was a LN. As said previously - what a publisher labels a product is not necessarily always correct with regards to the usual definitions. This is made quite clear when you consider that other publishers may tag and have tagged works differently after licensing it. Thus only objective qualities such as readership statistics and writing techniques/tropes can give a somewhat objective answer to the question regarding the target audience.

@Rugid
Target demographics being decided by publishers, period.
I disagree, and I already explained in details why. It also doesn't help that what you wrote doesn't agree with the common stance regarding this - go on, google it.

that's the only official definition.
This is clearly not the case, do your research before making statements.

Because publisher decided it. Simple as that and there's no need for wild guesses based on personal opinions or some "tropes".
You realize that to decide it, the publishers have to resort to what you are discounting in your second sentence, right? Also after licensing a work publishers have been shown to change tags, thus it should be clear this is a subjective categorization.
Do you know what's not subjective though? Statistics. Number of adult/teenage male to female readership ratios, but unfortunately you usually can't get your hands on those. That's what correlates with whether a magazine is labeled seinen/shounen/shoujo/josei. Doesn't mean you can't have typically shoujo works (as in works that will fit in a shoujo magazine just right) in a seinen/shounen magazine - it just means that the majority of the works are tailored to target audience X.
So the next least subjective option is analysis of the text. The thing you seem to denounce for some strange reason.
Granted, I believe that if you were to take a poll, you'd get a very teenage female skewed ratio regarding this manga/LN, simply because of the obvious elements in the text. That's as far as my opinion goes, the rest of the stuff I wrote you can verify in a somewhat objective manner.

Dex-chan lover
8 hours over 120 10 stars and 100 comments wow. And yes this manga deserves it

Fairly interesting if a bit long-winded at times. A nice change of pace.

A good long first chapter, looking forward to seeing how it develops from here.

@criver
You're as clueless as they come at every point, and I have no desire to educate/convince you in anything. Just hope you will never get into any deciding position somewhere.

Dex-chan lover
@Rugid I'll take it that you have nothing to add considering you transitioned to personal attacks. Fair enough, let's agree to disagree - you didn't have to be anal about it though.

Fucking good
I loved everything about this.
If, by any chance you dislike this, you should reconsider your life

Fed-Kun's army
I found the novel pretty boring... but this is actually a pretty fun read? The manga version seemed to improve it a lot.

... Why didn't they just release some rats, pests, or whatever into her cell?
@nikonekonya -- Probably because there are less words, and more expressions, making it more comedical

Aggregator gang
We all know her youth: https://mangadex.org/title/19193/maou-jou-de-oyasumi

Users who are viewing this thread