Tokidoki Bosotto Roshia-go de Dereru Tonari no Alya-san - Ch. 26 - Haah, Fine (1)

Supporter
It’s another manga that could've been a hundred times better if it was only mc and femc but author had to insert more girls to recycle common tropes and that harem is just easier and requires room temp iq than writing a compelling story. Sigh. Tired of this shit. Cant wait for literal who sameface girl backstory and mc overreacting to anything “OH NO IM WAY TOO PERFECT WOE IS ME!!”. It’s like reading a fucking telenovela.

By the way, the state of the art top secret pentagon looking council room is way too hilarious.
One. One other girl (if you don't count Ayano's fixation on carrying Masachika's child). And she actually got there first.

Supporter
I read like two volumes of this light novel and checked out of it because I disliked the dude's sister, but I have a friend who is still reading it that confirmed it's going in a harem direction. Which is very shit, but eh, it's a fun enough manga. Alya deserved better than to be put in the harem of the classic Japanese underachiever protagonist, I feel, competing against her own sister and shit.
Through seven main volumes and a book of side stories, there's exactly one challenger. And it's hard to even look at Masha as a challenger when Alya is only occasionally able to put her own feelings in order internally and her sister's literally telling Masachika "hey, choose me".

THERE. IS. NO. HAREM. One of the second-tier support characters does make a show of going after Kuze right in front of Alya, but that's quickly explained as an effort to shock her into realizing someone else will take a serious run at him if she doesn't get her act together.

Dex-chan lover
What's the point of hiding that he knows Russian...
If some rando classmate have been translating the stupid shit I've been saying in native tongue under breath, I'd bury my head while committing neck rope simultaneously and try to transfer out of that school out of sheer embarrassment. So honestly, he's doing a service

Dex-chan lover
Thanks for the new chapter!

Haha Masha is more like the imouto than Alya. Time for some oneesan cuteness for the next chapters.
Pretty much obvious she is the 'true childhood friend' Kuze spent time for a while several years ago. Most likely will give some more spice to the story like probably a driving force for Alya to step her game up.

Dex-chan lover
Let me guess...the "russian boyfriend" doesn't exist, and Kuze is the one she has a crush on?

sigh

Dex-chan lover
God I have PTSD reading but I still want to continue but it's PAIN. God I hate how story-wise it's terrible but it's famous because omg look at cute russian girl.

Dex-chan lover
Part of your assumption is correct, and part of it is very much not.
Well, I've been on this ride for many years now and am familiar with all the cliches and tropes, so I think I can make an accurate guess...

She knew the MC as kids, but he forgot about her which leads us to the present.

Last edited:
Supporter
Well, I've been on this ride for many years now and am familiar with all the cliches and tropes, so I think I can make an accurate guess...

She knew the MC as kids, but he forgot about her which leads us to the present.
DING DING DING

Dex-chan lover
Japaneses making stories with only one love interest 100% challenge impossible any% speedrun

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
People have been doing that crap for a while now. Probably idiots who think it's "preserving the original Japanese" or some shit, despite that most people can't read Japanese.

This is (primarily) an English language site. The language should be English.
imho, I'd rather have my manga titles in Romanji since I can easily spot what I'm reading even when I can't fully read Japanese.

Easily since majority of "Official" english titles are way too "dumb" picked.

For example with Bisque Doll that baffles me with its "official" english titles... like seriously, how the hell it simply became "My dress up darling" when the original JP was basically "The Bisque Doll(Dress-up Doll) Falls In Love"?

There are exceptions to this case because their english title have been established since first publication like Hayate no Gotoku!(Like a Gale!) / Hayate the Combat Butler and Tonikaku Kawaii(Simply Just Cute) / Fly Me to the Moon

Dex-chan lover
imho, I'd rather have my manga titles in Romanji since I can easily spot what I'm reading even when I can't fully read Japanese.
That has nothing to do with language, though. You can easily say the same about English titles, except that people on this site can actually read and understand those titles, which is better in that regard. If you know what a string of letters mean you have a much easier time remembering it than if you don't understand it. That's just an objective fact.

Easily since majority of "Official" english titles are way too "dumb" picked.
If it's official, it's official, and if it isn't, it isn't. Writing "official" has no place there, because it just makes it look like you don't want what's official.

Whether you think an English title makes sense or not is irrelevant. Some get their titles translated literally. Some figuratively. Some get an entirely new title they might think works better in English. Some get their titles transcribed which still gives the title a different meaning due to language differences. That's always been the case for foreign language translations of all kinds works.

I think it's dumb to transcribe the title in a way it was never meant to be written and still isn't understood by the majority of people reading it, so it fails its purpose anyway. It's like having suffixes and other words left in Japanese and claim it's translated.

Dex-chan lover
That's just an objective fact.
an objective fact we call "preference" so no disagreement there :thumbsup:

If it's official, it's official, and if it isn't, it isn't.
which is the sad part, to me at least, because often times the official english title strays away from what the series is about.

I think it's dumb to transcribe the title in a way it was never meant to be written and still isn't understood by the majority of people reading it, so it fails its purpose anyway. It's like having suffixes and other words left in Japanese and claim it's translated.
this is where I have to disagree since I'm not an english speaker from the west. Having the honorifics is a big tell in the relationship context between characters because my culture also use honorifics for the same manner.

It still baffles me that in the Freiren subs, the official subbers just straight use "Mister" instead of "Sir/Lord" when Fern calls Stark. How many formal barriers were smashed with a head when they did that? It didn't felt natural to the way Fern was talking.

Dex-chan lover
an objective fact we call "preference" so no disagreement there
No. It's scientifically proven that it's easier to remember words you know the meaning of than strings of letters you don't know what they mean. That's not a preference; that's a fact.

this is where I have to disagree since I'm not an english speaker from the west. Having the honorifics is a big tell in the relationship context between characters because my culture also use honorifics for the same manner.
So how many other language differences are there? How many subtle nuances disappear in translation you don't even mention? How many connotations are lost with word choice? How many puns?

Why is it that the one thing you (or most who make that argument) understand that has to remain untranslated? Exceptions aside, I never see an argument for leaving other things untranslated. It's overall a very selfish opinion that doesn't take other people into consideration.

It still baffles me that in the Freiren subs, the official subbers just straight use "Mister" instead of "Sir/Lord" when Fern calls Stark.
So that's a mistranslation if what you're saying is accurate, which has nothing to do with the rest of this discussion.

Dex-chan lover
It's overall a very selfish opinion that doesn't take other people into consideration.
And why is it you have to be biased? I have my disagreement and now I'm straight being selfish?

English has its own way of expressing the same equivalent for honorifics but they often butcher it or omit it. The reason why I disagree is not the other reasons but the relationship context. Otherwise, translations even the official ones do great in their job already. The TLers did a great example of this with Black Hanekawa tongue twister in Bakemonogatari.

I do get it that it's more catered to the west so it makes me sad that there's no release in my place. Otherwise I just sail the high seas and pick the raws.

I do respect that's how you want it. I do. But it do be disheartening to be just labelled as the "wrong one" when there are others who like the other side of the coin.

Whelp. I'm tired and do not want to expound further in this debacle and want to eat 'cause I'm hungry already. :kek:

Dex-chan lover
And why is it you have to be biased? I have my disagreement and now I'm straight being selfish?
Because it's about something that benefits you personally rather than a larger group of people. Most people don't know what you know, and would not understand it.

English has its own way of expressing the same equivalent for honorifics but they often butcher it or omit it.
So again, it's about a skill issue relating to the translators, not about what's most beneficial to the readers.

I do respect that's how you want it.
I disagree because I think it's selfish. That's my whole point. I'm not saying it's objectively wrong; it is my opinion, after all. I prefer translations that benefit the greater number of people, and that stay consistent to what the site is about: translating manga (and the like) to English (primarily). Personally I understand Japanese well enough that I don't need absolutely everything translated, especially honorifics. But I don't expect others to share that knowledge.

Anyway, thanks for being respectful about this.

Users who are viewing this thread