Tonari no Kurokawa-san - Ch. 3 - It's Not Naughty!

Dex-chan lover
I was trying to convince some friends that a lot of manga are completely free of fan service and not naughty, and that their perception that all manga contain lewd stuff wasn't right at all. Their kids are starting to get old enough to read English manga. So I suggested Frieren, but for some reason even that was too lewd for them.
Frieren lewd? Really?
How is Frieren even lewd? How do they even perceive other media then lol. Did they tell you why they think so?

Dex-chan lover
How is Frieren even lewd? How do they even perceive other media then lol. Did they tell you why they think so?
I think it's mostly bias. Their dad has never been fond of anime and manga either, and their mom is mostly interested in cape shit when it comes to comics sadly. But yeah, apparently even Frieren is too lewd.
It's kind of hard to fight against the anime and manga stigma since most works contain fan service and sexualized content honestly, but Frieren shouldn't really be worse than western media in my mind.

Dex-chan lover
I've always been bothered with that western media glorify violence and show gore without issues, but sexually related stuff is completely prohibited. Probably one of the reasons Japanese media appeal a bit more to me, it makes a lot more sense the other way around. Violence is honestly worse than sexual stuff logically.
Although not the entire western world, American aversion to any sexuality has long been embedded in our culture. I'm pretty sure that this is due to Puritan dominance over Christianity in America (and Christian dominance over America). This is due not only to basic religious belief of chastity, purity, and decency, but I believe also specific Calvinist doctrine that influenced them, namely double predestination. Double predestination is a belief that some are predestined for heaven by God, but also specifically the reverse, that additionally some people are predestined for hell by God. This results in a cultural desire for temperance due to a belief that those who commit sin are the ones predestined for hell (meaning sinning once means you'll definitely go to hell at the most extreme level).

In terms of sex and violence, I imagine seeing something sexual is more likely to be sinful than seeing something violent. If you see an act of violence or a scene of gore, you are seeing the suffering of others. This is not sinful as you are not perpetrating anything. However, if you see a sexual scene, you may become aroused. This could be considered sinful as looking at another with lust is of course a sin. This means that it is preferable to show violence rather than sex from the standpoint of puritanical belief.

Even if culturally the United States has been moving away from these Puritanical beliefs over time, these beliefs and behaviors about sex and chastity are still in many ways baked into American society, even without as strong a religious sentiment.

Thus concludes my unsolicited lesson, that may be riddled with errors.

Dex-chan lover
how long until they find their classmate who is (surprise surprise) the mangaka for LovMav ! :kek:

Double-page supporter
Is she the fabled modern audiences as people in the industries call it...?
All jokes aside, I don't understand why some people say it's sexual when cleavage shown but doesn't bat an eye when male characters show up in speedo/ underwear
Yeah, the double standard on that kinda annoys me.

Users who are viewing this thread