Tonikaku Kawaii - Vol. 8 Ch. 78 - The hot days continue

Dex-chan lover
these damn couple enjoying aircon... kek I've lived my entire life not having those and just making do with a fan... not even the electrical kind... just manual fanning of myself... kek

Fed-Kun's army
how is 26 degrees cold wtf, my prefered temp when sleeping is around 16-18.

wth everybody in this comment set their ac at 18°? its like the lowest .. and 26° like normal for me tho..

Aggregator gang
People, again, forget that there are readers from different regions around the world reading this.

A little explanation for people who don't know how aircon work:
They have a cold mode, and heat mode.
When in cold mode, 26° means it lets out wind cold enough to make the ambient temperature 26°. So being near the air con is actually rather cold. (and that's why the recommended temp is 28° to avoid big temp difference)
When in heat mode, 26° means it lets out wind hot enough to make the ambient temperature 26°. So being near the air con is actually rather hot during winter. (and that's why it's recommended to set it to 22° maximum to avoid big temp difference)

I learnt that myself when leaving in Japan and was actually surprised by how cold 26 (and even 28 when near the aircon) is!
Hope it helps people understand the chapter better.

Dex-chan lover
The reason why 26 degrees temperature setting feels cold to them is because of a few quirks in the setup of the room, the aircon, and their sleeping position.

First, the house. A Japanese house doesn't have ventilation channels or grates in the ceiling. Hot air has no way to get out from the top. Additionally, if you have an aircon installed, Japanese law requires you to have good insulation and sealing in the room for energy saving. You're supposed to put in effort to make sure your aircon really cools only your room and not the garden outside. Replace the paper sliding doors with glass and insulate the walls.

Next, a ceiling aircon unit has its thermostat on the unit itself and blows cold air downward. So when it's set to 26 degrees, the part of the room that the thermostat is reading as 26 degrees is the area near the ceiling where it's located. This also happens to be where the hottest air in the room can be found, because hot air rises up and the ceiling is basically closed up, preventing circulation outwards. So the thermostat keeps telling the aircon unit to pump more and more cold air downwards while waiting for the hot top layer to cool down to the target temperature. Thanks to this quirk, the air below the stagnant top layer will be much colder than 26 degrees in the first hour or so before convection evens out and stabilizes the temperature in the room. Near the floor temperature can drop to 18 degrees or lower.

Finally, they sleep on the floor, where the coldest air is. The aircon may be set at 26, but down there they're feeling 18.

MD@Home
People living at different latitudes have different preferences when it comes to ideal room temperature. For me in Eastern Europe, 26 degrees Celsius is great during the summer, but people further north will prefer lower temperatures and those to the south will rather have higher ones.

Dex-chan lover
Good gods, I could never sleep well at 26c, I'd have to find a way to set things down to 15c.

Dex-chan lover
Am I only one in the earth sleep peaceful with 25c ? Or because I living South east Asia ?

And it good save electric bill too

Dex-chan lover
oh yea, AC on, kiss and then nothing
lmao the absolute fantasy 👹

Aggregator gang
I used to have it on 16 too because of wonky planning of the building I lived in. The ac was lower down than my bed... It was horrible.

Dex-chan lover
This is why you also control humidity in your room
Or get used to sleeping with aircon on all night, or zero aircon on super hot pacific nights (lived in Taiwan for a while, fuck those blackout nights)

Dex-chan lover
Hmmm.... I wonder if we can all have a nice married life like these two when and if we get married

Double-page supporter
@meidunk He fucking should. It annoys me so much all mangas being axed before any real relationships being.

Dex-chan lover
I have this exact problem with an air conditioner alone. I can never seem to find the sweet spot.

Users who are viewing this thread