Tsuihou Suru Gawa no Monogatari - Ch. 19 - Reasons Not to Give Up

Dex-chan lover
Damn, I am too early. I can't wait to read the comment about how bad this manga is. The random essay that you guys wrote is better than this manga afterall.
Eeeeh, I disagree, the essays aren't better than the manga, they're just funnier.

Reason I say that is because the manga is not just poorly written, but shallow to to boot, and yet some people twists themselves into a pretzel to paint Daru as some evil mastermind who did everything to ntr Est, which is just not true at all, hell, if Daru was evil if anything it would make the manga interesting.

Dex-chan lover
Hey guys... Just wanna ask something, did Daru and Athena ended up as Romantic partner in the end ? If yes, then that's fucked up
Right. So iirc it isn't quite there at the end. It somehow ends up as a shonen power of friendship ending between the two where Daru is still projecting his dead lover onto Athena and Athena thinking its just pure friendship that made them stronger. Elf girl has somehow made herself even more obvious to Athena that she wants her, but Athena treats her as close friendship, so friendship zone on that one. Dragon girl is irrelevant and wants to fight stronger people, together. It gave me early 2000's battle manga friendship vibes. Est apologizes to Athena that he wasn't strong enough and that he totally deserved to be banished and that he will be her rival from now on, making her his one goal to surpass. After that, they leave their guild house and mosey on over to another city to start anew and get stronger. Good lord, did I just make a synopsis of a chapter of Fairy Tail?!

Dex-chan lover
If you want to save yourself some time
The girls get beat up, Daru arrives, they get their asses kicked together. Est arrives and is basically just asked to carry the unconscious girls out of the cave with his party. The powered up demon fights Daru (Author's self-insert) and Daru does the meme where he goes "Forgive me, I have to go all out, just this once" and wins. Some tragic Daru backstory and a reconcilliation with Est...sort of

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Right. So iirc it isn't quite there at the end. It somehow ends up as a shonen power of friendship ending between the two where Daru is still projecting his dead lover onto Athena and Athena thinking its just pure friendship that made them stronger. Elf girl has somehow made herself even more obvious to Athena that she wants her, but Athena treats her as close friendship, so friendship zone on that one. Dragon girl is irrelevant and wants to fight stronger people, together. It gave me early 2000's battle manga friendship vibes. Est apologizes to Athena that he wasn't strong enough and that he totally deserved to be banished and that he will be her rival from now on, making her his one goal to surpass. After that, they leave their guild house and mosey on over to another city to start anew and get stronger. Good lord, did I just make a synopsis of a chapter of Fairy Tail?!
It's not a bad ending, but feel kinda of underwhelming, Daru didn't move on, Athena still being clueless, Elf girl also not moving on, arguably only dragon girl came out better since she learned to work as a team.

They probably would have been happier if Daru  was indeed a evil mastermind who wanted to ntr Est, cause at least they would all end up together or something :dogkek:

Dex-chan lover
Good to know.

Guess I'll go put on a My Little Pony shirt while reading this.

Dex-chan lover
If you want to save yourself some time
The girls get beat up, Daru arrives, they get their asses kicked together. Est arrives and is basically just asked to carry the unconscious girls out of the cave with his party. The powered up demon fights Daru (Author's self-insert) and Daru does the meme where he goes "Forgive me, I have to go all out, just this once" and wins.
Wasn't the author a woman though? I don't know why but I vaguely remember someone mentioning it's a woman and not their first work to get cancelled, since apparently they have multiple web novels turned into light novel but that got cancelled for not being popular enough :thonk:

Dex-chan lover
Eeeeh, I disagree, the essays aren't better than the manga, they're just funnier.

Reason I say that is because the manga is not just poorly written, but shallow to to boot, and yet some people twists themselves into a pretzel to paint Daru as some evil mastermind who did everything to ntr Est, which is just not true at all, hell, if Daru was evil if anything it would make the manga interesting.
Tbh, the essays are more about trying to improve the trainwreck than it is making fun of it.

This is an already completed manga, all done back in Japan. The Japanese didn't like it so it had to be rushed to end at 33 chapters. I'm pretty sure had it sold well, we'd have this story stretch itself into several volumes.

As it stands, the Author tried to do another story but that was even worse than this one, so nothing else has come out since then from this author.

I think its because Daru was seen as a side character and somehow became the MC suddenly after Est's banishment. His abilities was more than enough to handle whatever was putting Est in danger and if he couldn't, the elf girl should've handled it, knowing that Est was combat incapable at the time.

I believe that had there been more exposition, more time shown that Daru was more of a trainer to the newbies and had Est's back in trying to improve him before the plunge this story has taken at the beginning, then he would've been more sympathetic as an MC. Instead, most the heat would've been on Athena and the Elf mage.

A good example of this is Wortenia Senki, where the worldbuilding has clearly shown that good characters are naive and deserve the heat due to their obliviousness and being manipulated.

Dex-chan lover
Wasn't the author a woman though? I don't know why but I vaguely remember someone mentioning it's a woman and not their first work to get cancelled, since apparently they have multiple web novels turned into light novel but that got cancelled for not being popular enough :thonk:
You might be right. The story and art are subpar nevertheless

Dex-chan lover
The question now is, will Athena question the 2 party members who are actually OP?
Like is she smart enough to say "If you both were that strong from the start, why only show it now after all the shit I've been through to the point that letting my childhood friend almost getting killed and kicking him unfairly making a rift between the 2 of us putting me in mental distress?" or something along those lines?
If not, then I think she is the dumbest FMC I've ever seen and I am saying that as someone who has read many power fantasy trash already.
Well... no. She 100% believes that Daru was responsible for the power ups and it cements in her mind that booting Est was the right decision.

Dex-chan lover
If this story does not end with Daru being a manipulative A-hole that wanted Est out or dead so he could get "his party" back... then i will apologize to myself for the time wasted, like the only thing that i want is for the party to acknowledge how stupid they where and not in a "i´m the victim" way like Athena does, I want Daru saying to Est "I knew the first thing you would do when we kick you out was going to the dungeon, but i still let you go" because now i know for sure that Daru and the elf girl really did not care for Est at all, and i want Athena to realize that

This is like watching a huge accident... i know is bad to see and i will win nothing from it, maybe even i will loose things by watching, but i can´t take my eyes from it, is like i can hate this with such freedom that it is actually cathartic
Um... Daru could care less about the Dragon Girl or the Elf Mage. He projects his dead lover onto Athena and tolerates the other two because it makes Athena happy. Athena believes that they are happy friends that made themselves stronger as a true team, think Est's banishment was justifiable because both of them got stronger and moves out of the city they were in for another city, thinking it would only make them stronger.

Dex-chan lover
Tbh, the essays are more about trying to improve the trainwreck than it is making fun of it.
For the manga adaptation at least, I feel one reason it's bad is due to being a extremely poor adaptation, seemingly skipping a lot of important stuff.
This is an already completed manga, all done back in Japan. The Japanese didn't like it so it had to be rushed to end at 33 chapters. I'm pretty sure had it sold well, we'd have this story stretch itself into several volumes.
Technically not completed if it was axed, though I doubt that really matters when it's bad even in the novel lol
As it stands, the Author tried to do another story but that was even worse than this one, so nothing else has come out since then from this author.
Author has arguably good ideas but horrible execution, might have been better if they worked with someone else to write it.
I think its because Daru was seen as a side character and somehow became the MC suddenly after Est's banishment. His abilities was more than enough to handle whatever was putting Est in danger and if he couldn't, the elf girl should've handled it, knowing that Est was combat incapable at the time.
Yeah Daru definitely doesn't feel much like a main character, from what I remember the issue is that Est was effectively dead weight, he could only buff Athena, so it doesn't matter if they could protect him.
I believe that had there been more exposition, more time shown that Daru was more of a trainer to the newbies and had Est's back in trying to improve him before the plunge this story has taken at the beginning, then he would've been more sympathetic as an MC. Instead, most the heat would've been on Athena and the Elf mage.
That is arguably the biggest issue with the manga, as someone else spoiled before, in the light novel Daru did try to teach Est stuff, but apparently in this setting it's literally impossible to learn something out of your class or whatever, so Est literally can never really learn how to fight because he's made for support specifically, if the manga didn't skip that it would have made all the difference on how people see the story.
A good example of this is Wortenia Senki, where the worldbuilding has clearly shown that good characters are naive and deserve the heat due to their obliviousness and being manipulated.
Never read that, added to the list.

Dex-chan lover
Well... no. She 100% believes that Daru was responsible for the power ups and it cements in her mind that booting Est was the right decision.
To be fair, Est  was a crutch for Athena and if I remember correctly she was always the main person to kill monsters, booting Est out basically forced everyone to get stronger.
Um... Daru could care less about the Dragon Girl or the Elf Mage. He projects his dead lover onto Athena and tolerates the other two because it makes Athena happy. Athena believes that they are happy friends that made themselves stronger as a true team, think Est's banishment was justifiable because both of them got stronger and moves out of the city they were in for another city, thinking it would only make them stronger.
Athena being clueless as fuck is kinda funny lol, and to be fair kicking out Est wasn't without merit, since he couldn't buff anyone but Athena and was otherwise dead weight, issue is how they did it, though Est being a little bitch simp and assuming Daru was fucking Athena didn't help either.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
You might be right. The story and art are subpar nevertheless
Ironically if the author was a man it might being more interesting, cause then it might have been another typical evil protagonist ntr all woman he sees :dogkek:

Dex-chan lover
Hey guys... Just wanna ask something, did Daru and Athena ended up as Romantic partner in the end ? If yes, then that's fucked up
There's only 33 chapters. We're more than halfway through. Let's just wait and see.

Athena's harsh betrayal (even for "benevolent reasons", so he wouldn't die) means she doesn't deserve Est. Even with the misunderstanding that Athena knows nothing about being resolved and even though Est was willing to forgive her and come back before that misunderstanding, it would be better for him to forget that he loved her and just make a clean break.

Dex-chan lover
Athena being clueless as fuck is kinda funny lol, and to be fair kicking out Est wasn't without merit, since he couldn't buff anyone but Athena and was otherwise dead weight, issue is how they did it, though Est being a little bitch simp and assuming Daru was fucking Athena didn't help either.

I don't recall anything about him being unable to buff the other 2, the issue was that he couldn't buff himself and only Athena relied on the buffs since the other 2 were smurfing it. Looking at Chapter 2 it seems like Elf was getting accuracy buffs from Est but Daru knew she could adjust.

Dex-chan lover
No but if this shit wasn't axed, that was %100 the direction story was heading towards. You can see the signs.

At least Wortenia Senki as a whole is more interesting. And the good princess' naivety that led to stupid decision was a necessary plot device while still remain a relatively minor thing, not the root cause of the whole conflict that could've been resolved with more level headed talking like in this manga.

Users who are viewing this thread