What's the most disastrous sequel to an anime you have ever seen?

Dex-chan lover
Most of the times changing studios is bad news. And yes, Hataraku Maou-sama 2 made my eyes bled. Another Hataraku, Hataraku Saibou 2 was unbearable to watch for me too, even though it was the same studio and art style. And another sequel of the current seasion, Yuru Camp 3, underwhelmingly disappointed.

Dex-chan lover
Yuru Camp 3, underwhelmingly disappointed.
About yuru camp for me it's mixed feeling, other than character the music and other stuff pretty much the same. When watching the trailer, I really thought everyone is already graduated because the art style changed and looks more mature. But I'm kinda just happy for another season.

Also It's pretty ball that anime about camping can go this far after all.

Dex-chan lover
Mature? The character design is generic high-lighted colouring and it's pretty less detailed, not to mention how some faces are deformed. And instead of drawing the backgrounds, it's blurred photoshop. If it got this far is because it's a genuine series and the genre Iyashikei (Slice of Life) is a big thing in Japan, if you read the manga you'd realise its potential. The only reason the previous studio stopped animating was bankruptcy due bad managing/practices, like most studios (in fact, the workers were those who put a stop after not being properly paid or paid at all). They are aging of course, but to the point of thinking they graduated in a year...
The only thing that hasn't changed is the voice actresses, which are great all of them. The OST is an imitation basically.

Durarara, the first season's ending was fine, they went ahead and started adding more and more characters in the next seasons that did nothing for the plot whatsoever, and the ending was basically the same as the first season with only some details, waste of time TBH, I felt like the author wanted to show some slice of life or something.
Disagree

El hazard season 2 completely dropped everything for some stupid romance plot that ended on a cliffhanger because it failed into the ratings everyone is flanderized no more stakes and it becomes a filler isekai plot.

H
Fr, I can't stand it

Like everyone love the anime but I can't stand the fact that the main character literal pervert. It's really uncomfortable to watch.
He is the sole reason I dislike it hey man a pervert character can be done but don't make him insufferable.

Dex-chan lover
El hazard season 2 completely dropped everything for some stupid romance plot that ended on a cliffhanger because it failed into the ratings everyone is flanderized no more stakes and it becomes a filler isekai plot.
El Hazard OVA is so much better. Add another girl and add hot springs - it was swell.

Supporter
Maken-Ki. Granted, S1 was nobody's idea of great literary merit, but it did what it was supposed to do and kept reasonably faithful to both the characters and the source.

S2 neutered every character's motivations and threw out the manga entirely in favor of nonsense plots. Heck, it even nerfed the fanservice pretty hard, that being the primary reason for the series existing in the first place. (There are two watchable episodes, one of which actually connected to first-season characterizations and spotlighted one of the adult characters along with the ML, the other being a prequel/backdoor pilot for a spinoff series that would presumably have been better than this slop. )

EDIT: I see I've already pointed this out here. Still on point.

Dex-chan lover
I would be very happy to see another season of youjo senki, overlord, and konosuba

All of which isekai anime
youjo senki is peak murder fantasy. It could have done it without isekai.
overlord is peak isekai, like the Matrix.
konosuba ... I just watch AQASS.

Dex-chan lover
Eureka Seven Ao
I will defend this somewhat. Pacing and plot was ok for the first half, but after Ao fires the quartz gun the first time it loses direction and pacing follows suit. Some people interpret the story to imply Dewey was right, but he was an extremist who would drive humanity to extinction for the sake of pride. Time travel could be made to work in a plot like this, and we got one good plot twist out of the deal, the loss of direction was a shame. Then the rights got bought by some pachinko company millionaire and he made some ONA episodes to give a proper conclusion to the story, making it more thematically consistent and more obvious that the right decisions were made throughout the story. Those are on YouTube FYI.

The soundtrack was great, the mechanical design was mediocre, the characters were mostly passable, and it plays with the concept of “fitting in” quite well. Next to the original it really does lack vision and heart, but it’s hardly worse than the average Bones anime, let alone most anime published these days. Far more coherent than any of the other spin-off movies of the franchise for sure.
Also pretty sure Renton and Eureka aren’t implied to die at the end of the original story, that would be thematically inconsistent.

My nomination for worst sequel goes to Last Exile’s Fam. I wanted to watch sky battleships and pirates, not Strike Witches.

Users who are viewing this thread