Tsuki ga Michibiku Isekai Douchuu - Ch. 54 - Errand Boy of the Fickle Goddess

Aggregator gang
@Morose
I can understand sofia trying to killed the MC for the reason he is a future threat, but she could've easily just taken a chance for him to explain his situation and realize that he isn't a threat. That chance got thrown out the window with her continuous attack and him in self defense nuking the place into a lake.

Fed-Kun's army
@WillLi He's not been wearing a mask for a while. Being stronger isn't a defense against negligence or people getting hurt outside your awareness or reach. Tomoe's bootcamp would be kinda unhelpful to MC - he grew up on the earth, so his physical stats are more or less maxed. Magic will help him get stronger, but he needs Shiki to train him in that and Shiki hasn't had a chance.

Double-page supporter
"I'm thinking about having a baby" *flag raised*
"I'll save everyone" *dies*

k but she'll just come right back to life I'm sure, lady hero probably has resurrection tears or something

I love this series a lot. Things are def getting heated, I can’t wait for more!

I want to see Sofia vs Makoto already... Reading it was pretty nerve wrecking, but i want to see an art masterpiece of it.

Dex-chan lover
@Mnuchinboo:
Sofia isn't the type to think things through. She would rather attack than talk it out (kind of like a muscle-head). Its mainly the kid (who comes in later) who does most of the thinking work for her currently. Plus, while she hates the Goddess and her policies, she does unconsciously follow the same mindset that the Goddess promotes to the Hyuman about beauty-standards and such, which is clear by how she addresses MC a lot in this chapter. and would do so later on as well.

As later on during the fight, she starts considering MC as some sort of Devil who had been Cursed by the Goddess and is forced to work for her. She comes to this conclusion after using that 'Blessing Negating Ring' (the same one Io used earlier against Hibiki and Tomoki), which has no affect on MC (since he doesn't have any Combat Related Blessing), and is slowly getting used to fighting so his power seems to be increase in Sofia's eye, which she ends up mistaking as the 'Blessing Negating Ring' negating the effect of a Goddess Curse on MC and boosting him instead.

Dex-chan lover
@Kanol Shiki would be a better trainer, but Tomoe understands at least the basics of his power and has way more battle experience than the MC, her training him would have benefits in teaching him how to use his power in battle. Also it doesn't matter that his 'stats' are maxed out Tomoe's boot camp trains a lot more than just your physical specs, it's training mentality, and giving them combat experience as well, which are the things the MC is lacking. As for the mask, yeah he's only 'recently' been wearing it, but every time before he had it when he saw an adventurer they had to double take to not think he was a monster. Especially since he can't speak human tongue. The point I was making is that it's totally obvious to anyone with some sense that the MC will encounter numerous dangerous situations in the future, so it doesn't take a genius to go "Maybe I should learn how to protect myself just in case."

Fed-Kun's army
@WillLi The mask was only originally to hide his identity when revisiting that first town what Tomoe and Mio blew up. People assumed he was a monster when he first arrived there because of his power incontinence, not his physical appearance. He hasn't worn the mask in a dozen odd chapters with no issues. Look at this chapter, Sophia assumes he's a human until she notices he can't speak common. She didn't attack him because of the way he he looks but because of the golden light of the teleportation, which is signature of the goddess.

My point is that he's already stronger than a superior dragon and capable of defending himself against a calamity class spider that romped the hero party, both of which would in normal circumstances now be his support party. Calling him an idiot for spending time on pursuits other than training is like calling you an idiot for not spending your time right now training in case you ever get set upon by a herd of feral boar or something.

Edit : Also I feel I should point out that he was literally on his way to Rotsgard to enroll in the magic academy to train so there's that.

Dex-chan lover
@Kanol plenty of people have said in other chapters that he looked like a monster and such, so his appearance does make them think that. Sophia thought he was human cause the golden light means the goddess and the goddess wouldn't summon a monster. But even if we say it's not his appearance, that doesn't change the fact that it has already happened so he should still know people could attack what they consider a 'monster' at any moment.

And your analogy in the second paragraph is just stupid, it's not even a strawman argument. First I didn't say he was dumb for spending his time on other pursuits. I said he was dumb for not spending anytime on his training. And that is because it is -obvious- possibility for a situation. Like I said many post ago, it's like a guy who got kidnapped 3 times deciding not to learn how to avoid and escape kidnappings. There is no danger of me being set upon by a wild boar. There is a clear apparent possibility that the MC or his people will get dragged into something violent. So knowing how to deal with it is logical. If I lived in an area where lots of wild boar lived and I went out a lot, then yes it would be stupid to never take the time to learn how to deal with confronting a wild boar.

And considering his power is unique(at least he's been told that) and his primary weapon is archery...deciding to go to the magic academy and putting off any and all other training for that is putting the cart before the horse.(Which might I add he -did- still do training, just training for target archery and not combat archery) That would be like a going to a course on guns, to learn to protect yourself, when you have no intention of getting a gun, and you ignore any other training in self defense.

Edit: The problem here is that there is no way it can be said that it's not clear that the chance of there being a threat to his people is high. It's so high in fact he has -them- taking precautions for the future. So either the MC is dumb for not preparing himself, or he's super arrogant and thought that he'd be fine no matter what cause his OP power. And it should've come long before now that he started, it's one thing to have started but something happens before your training is finished, but it's another to have taken so long to start something else happens. And it has been a while, his people have been training people for weeks if I remember right, if not months.

@ByDevon
I edited the spoiler to be less misleading. It's just a vision of a possible future, they don't actually die. I was pointing out how it isn't the best idea to be so reckless against the goddess.

@WillLi
I'm getting a bit confused at your point here. Rather than that, how would you explained that an untrained individual would be able to get their bearings and put up their guards that fast upon being assaulted right after being shoved in the middle of nowhere.

I'm not sure what you expect from a normal person, but I bet you in most of those situations, a normal person would be dead on the first hit, ignoring makoto's high defense here anyway. Also assuming they had the same stats as makoto, you would expect such a person to keep their heads calm like how makoto is doing right now? Any normal person would be shocked after surviving the first hit, then crumble and start screaming as they realise they've lost 2 fingers. For example, it's demonstrated by Subaru from Re:Zero at the start of the series. It's a point of praise here that he hasn't lost his head both literally and figuratively here and highlights his capabilities instead of detracting from him as a character.

Most of the time even trained people have a hard time after being put through the same disorientating situation as makoto, which is why I kinda don't understand where "train more" mentality comes from. What else could he have done in this situation? Not to mention the fight barely started and we don't know how it turns out yet (if you only read manga anyway but we're here for a reason).

Rather than critiquing makoto's character and motivations here, it feels like you more are nitpicking why you didn't like makoto getting hurt, which to be fair is reasonable.

Edit: typos

Dex-chan lover
@-Sleepless- The point is "Why are they untrained?" Firstly, the MC isn't actually a normal person. Not only his powers being abnormal, but also when he was in Japan, the archery he trained in is archery designed for warfare/combat. He -shouldn't- be normal. And he's had plenty of time and -reason- to train but hasn't. What I'm saying is the only reason this is a threat, is because for some reason teh MC has defied logic and sat on his ass this whole time when it comes to combat related things. I get he had other things he wanted to do, but he made time for his archery meditation but didn't take any time to get combat experience. The reason Makoto is 'calm' right now is because he's been in worse pain. (Which he actually isn't that calm, he's just not having a total break down. Look at how long it took him to acutally form a plan and act instead of just standing their mentally tsukomining everything she said.)

And I don't know how the fight turns out, but I was speaking to a person who reply to my "This is fake tension" with "This person -is- an actual threat" and I explained to them that it's stupid this person is a threat. If the problem is experience, I get this person will always have more, but despite having plenty of opportunity why does Makoto have so little? I don't actually care that he got hurt. What annoys me is the fact that it's a 'fake flaw'. Pretty much it feels like Makoto is too OP so in order to keep him down the author kept his experience low. However 1, we know Makoto is diligent, and he trained in type of warfare archery back in Japan. We also know this isn't his first fight, even in this world, and he never goes to danger it always comes to him, most of the time suddenly. Yes he's never been hit with a literal surprise attack, but the danger has shown up by surprise without preptime. So why is a person that has been through all that, and has Makoto's background, not taking the time to get fighting experience? You bring up Subaru from Re:Zero, yeah he broke down, but you want to know what he also did? Within like a weak he started doing what he could to prepare for fighting. Granted it wasn't a huge amount but he started.

Dex-chan lover
You know their compannions tell him chapters before that stop meditating with the bow, and for the travelling betwen town to town and thinking about Mio, Tomoe, and their citizen how there doing in their life, and also thinking about the progress about the store their success and their future problems with the racism of demihumans or non beauty persons... Makoto has a lot tihngs in their mind to think about and fucking suddenly a dickardly god teleport him to a battlefield without their consent and without too much information of was happening receiving a hard punch in the instant he reach the place, you know in that situation anybody was feel confused and no ready to figth

Just think of Makoto like a person not like MC, dont matter how powerfull it is, everybody in their circunstances will happen the same

@WillLi

Your first point feels like it comes from a comparison from a generic shounen battle anime/manga where people can just train till their guard is up 24/7. Also it feels like a false equivalence that training directly equals to guard being up/never letting your guard down, which frankly is impossible to do so unless you've lived in a situation where it's life and death at every turn. Remember the fact that firstly he comes from and modern day, relatively peaceful world, and it's also Japan, where crime usually doesn't happen. Granted that he has taken lessons with his teacher about the art of archery (the killing version/warfare version), but that doesn't stop him from being relatively normal. In this case he's also pretty average at physical sports in Japan anyway. I don't think training at all would have helped the situation because of what @Zacoras said:
suddenly a dickardly god teleport him to a battlefield without their consent and without too much information of was happening receiving a hard punch in the instant he reach the place, you know in that situation anybody was feel confused and no ready to figth
And in case the point is a bit rough, I'll elaborate it here too just in case.

1. Before this, MC and Bug goddess are established to pretty much hate each other, neither wants so much as to interact with the other, meaning MC doesn't expect Bug goddess to pull MC in to help her anyway

2. Aside from real world summoning, the Bug Goddess really hasn't been shown to directly send assistance to the hyumans, blessings are more of an indirect help

3. MC understands post status ailment trial that he has an unreasonably large mp pool, which also relates to how much magic is needed to affect someone of his caliber of magic. Given that he tested all of this with his followers, tomoe/mio/shiki having magic power far higher than 99% of the living beings on this world, he doesn't expect anyone to be able to teleport him in such a short amount of time without indication. To top it off, the only one which has shown they could is only Bug Goddess, which I've established in the above points that it's highly unlikely for her to do so

4. Due the earlier points, MC does not expect a sudden teleport from Bug Goddess to send assistance anywhere, and certainly didn't expect to be separated from his followers given that he's used to having at least one of them (tomoe/mio/and new!shiki)

5. As he is suddenly separated from said followers in a location which he doesn't recognise, his guard is already up, but the shift to battle mode hasn't been made (still cautious)

6. Unexpected attack from someone who suddenly vanishes from his sight to attack him, he'd be dead in a situation where if he actually doesn't have his guard up (flying head)

And through all of this, do you still think any amount of training would suffice for a surprise attack of that caliber. Note that in this case it's not about training, it's about reaction to Sofia's actions. You pull any trained master martial artist into this situation, then expect them to cope with Sofia's speed and come out alive is really borderline fantastical here.

Also about your point with MC being calm because he's been in worse pain? I'm really confused? Where did you get this? The same chapter literally states it's been the worst since mio, and he didn't need to deal with it because he had help and was taken care of later. If he was having a mental break down, he wouldn't actually be analysing the situation this calmly to escape from Sofia/Lancer. Regarding your call to MC taking time to form a plan before retorting, that's also a bit questionable. He's attacked and the first thing he does is try to understand why he's in this situation,then he goes and tries to figure out why he can't communicate with his followers, following that after one brief retort, he decides to first deal with his injury and gleam out more information. He opts for a diplomatic approach before trying make a plan up to escape. I don't think you understand what a person having a mental break down behaves like, well to be fair I haven't had one, but that analytical behaviour isn't one that a person with a mental breakdown would go through.

So hopefully I've broken down why "train more" isn't really effective in this situation. The threat right now is that he has to face off against an enemy who has demonstrated speed and power to be able to injure him, while dealing with his bleeding injury from the earlier surprise attack. All the fights so far have been abnormally skewed to his favour, provided it was a straight up fight with no tactics involved. There's a difference between a surprise attack and a surprise encounter, which I see you've also falsely equated to each other. The fights between him and Tomoe/Mio have been surprise encounters and not attacks, where neither took the initiative for a surprise attack and instead only knew that the other was present when they both met for the first time.

The point with Subaru was talking about the initial encounters,not the week he spent dying to prepare, MC doesn't have an X amount of time to prepare for an encounter ability he doesn't know that exists, hell that's something only Batman would do. So Subaru spent the time preparing for the same situation, while you expect Makoto in X months to prepare for situation which is highly unlikely to happen before this point in time.

Sorry it's a bit long, but thank you for coming to my TED talk.

Dex-chan lover
@-Sleepless- If you were transported to a different land suddenly, and you encoutnered a 'monster' with powers you don't quite understand, and the only reason you survived is because of you have powers you don't quite understand, how many more dangerous encounters would it take you before you decided "Maybe I should learn about this power, as well as learn how to protect myself."? The problem is the MC still hasn't come to this realization.

Also I didn't say anything about his guard being up. Stop trying to be 'smart' and just read what I said exactly. Apparently as someone mentioned this person is an -actual- threat, not just because she got in a surprise attack. I never said she shouldn't have gotten in a surprise attack. I'm complaining about the fact that someone who the MC does have the power to completely negate their attacks is a legitimate threat to the MC, beyond just surprise attacks, because he doesn't have enough battle experience yet.

I'm not even reading your post beyond the first couple paragraphs because it's built on an entirely wrong foundation because you're trying too hard to be smart and not listening, and I don't have time to sort through the things in your post that are actually relevant in that case.

and @Zacoras is you're talking to me, I wonder if you realize your post does literally nothing but prove my point. You're saying the MC has all these things on his mind, but my whole problem is he's -aware- of all these things but done nothing about it. Any normal person would start trying to do something. The reason he 'lacks experience' is because he hasn't done anything, not because he has a bunch of things on his mind.

@WillLi
Sure thing, I don't think you understand how humans behave in that situation.

You're also putting up stupid expectations that MC prepare for the unknown even when the unknown isn't certain to exist.

You lack the understanding that having you guard up means being ready for that situation, which directly correlates to that situation. The thing is that is also related to how MC defends against any given situation, which is what I've been trying to tell you for the past word fest and a half. Yet you also fail to understand that hey, in order to defend against Sofia's attacks, as demonstrated in this this very chapter, he first has to realise the danger he is in first, and since Sofia's attack is a sneak attack, he fails to react in time. Honestly, you aren't reading what I'm writing because you don't want to accept that your point is contrived.

It's not being 'smart', I'm pulling up information that the author's presented us and making conclusions based off that. Unlike your point of "not enough battle experience" which I've written below as it meaning jack-shit when confronted with that speed and power of Sofia. You fail to recognise that the foundation I've used for my argument is entirely consistent based from what the author has shown so far but you also go and sprout "not enough experience, train moar" as if that means what you think it means.

Also regarding your comment about Zacoras' post, it makes me wonder you understand how humans react in that situation.

There, I summarised my points in the first 2 lines. If have the time to type a response you have the time to read, you're on this site for a reason. This doesn't make your points any more valid or mine any less.

Edit: In case you don't get where I'm coming from with these points, read the earlier paragraphs, and don't complain why my points make no sense to you when you spend no effort to understand them.

Users who are viewing this thread