Tsuma, Shougakusei ni Naru. - Vol. 4 Ch. 30

No. It's still unjustifiable.

Sure she went through her own hardships, that much was obvious from the start. But it's no excuse and especially no justification.

Dex-chan lover
There are a lot of single moms who go through hardships and breakdowns catastrophically more worse than hers and they don't take it out on their kids.
It ain't a excuse

Those coworkers are true creeps. Why single her out to cosplay “to liven up the party” and bring her in such a position that she can’t refuse?

Dex-chan lover
What she did definitely not justifiable but it doesn’t mean she has no chance of redeeming herself.

@Ranzo
Single mothers tend to be pretty shit, not because they are single mothers but because the kind of person that becomes a single mother tends to be pretty shit.
So you got a selection bias for garbage, and garbage in means garbage out.

@Esper
You also have to deal with the increased change of them abusing or killing the child.
If the woman is a widow, that's a different story though.
Hahaha.
No.
Having children for women reduces their value as a potential partner.
Not just as as a consequence of the children,
but also because it signals the kind of person they are.

Dex-chan lover
@MangoEater I mean you're talking about a work culture where it's considered rude to not drink with your boss and and co-workers and even ruder to not let your boss sleep at your house if he gets drunk. I'm gonna guess this kind of thing happens often, where a singular co-worker just becomes the target of social expectations. In her case she has to be the lively one. Also that one dude likes her so there's that.

Dex-chan lover
@cupcakeparty eh, I dunno about likeable, but it is making her out not to be the one-dimensional horror she's been built up to be. I think that's OK, though it does steal focus and fails to entertain.

@Esper It's not just about finances and a mystery ex, either. Asserting paternal authority with another man's child is always going to be tricky, the biological bonds and shared history aren't there to give your authority any backing. It also shows that the mother has failed at an attempt at a life-long relationship, and red flags start waving in case the underlying causes of that breakup take as long for you to find out. There's also the danger that this kid will dislike you or even resent your presence, making living together untenable, further compounded by the psychological toll the breakup may have had on the kid (and for that matter, the mother too). Why take the risk?

The fact that she has a job and hasn't thrown away her daughter is already proof that she's at least trying to make a better life/moving on

Umm...in this chapter she told the guy she would quit her job if he didn't keep coming to see her, and she had no idea what she would do after quitting her job.

She has basically already thrown away her daughter at this point....she leaves a 10 year old kid to fend for herself. For all we know, the only reason Marika (or whatever her new name is) hasn't been kicked out of the house, is because it would be more of a hassle for the mom if child protective services comes looking for her.

Interesting portrayal of group pressure in workplace and school.

If you're so interested in having people cosplay, why don't the men of the office cosplay too, hugh? What a jackass.

Forgot that girl at the school had such a punchable face.

Dex-chan lover
@Human_the_2nd
For the people that said her actions were unjustifiable, now you see that it is much more justifiable
She went through a breakdown, pressuring those around her unconsciously (especially her own daughter)
The fact that she has a job and hasn't thrown away her daughter is already proof that she's at least trying to make a better life/moving on
No, child abuse is NOT justifiable in any way or form, what she went through or experienced offer absolutely no justification what so ever. She's still literal shit...

Dex-chan lover
changed work,home, school and part ways ...goodbye
That how I see it.
I think the mother doesn't really think about her daughter at all...well it's still not to late to change now.

I think they're just confusing "understandable" with "justifiable". You can see how a person could've degenerated to the point they abuse their family member(s) but all those circumstances, while they may explain their actions, does not excuse them. It is not justifiable to traumatize an innocent person to cope with your own trauma.

Perhaps this understanding can make you believe she can fix herself if she gets the support to do so but a lot of people don't have much hope for people like this (personally, I don't mind seeing redemption arcs for bad parents in fiction, it's a nice fantasy. However, in real life: I find it impossible to forgive or forget - if I found out you abused a child then you will forever be flammable trash in my eyes)

@gronkle Yeah, I meant by being more than one-dimensional. This new piece of information about the woman doesn't balance out her obvious traits of neglect and selfishness. It was nice to get some backstory on her and all, but it was very unsatisfying. It would have been much more satisfying if they addressed the problematic aspects of her character while addressing her past. This manga tends to be very introspective with their characters, so it's just a little irritating they didn't go that route.

I've been grinding my teeth a little at how the reborn mother allows this mistreatment even though she has the memories of her past life where she's been a very outspoken and knowledgeable person, and she understands what a good parent is supposed to be like. She wouldn't have allowed this to happen to her daughter.

In this chapter, I think the quality of the comics has decreased, I hope the author is fine.

Dex-chan lover
So I gotta ask, is women hiding their children from their lovers a japanese thing? Because this is not the first manga I've read where "divorced mom neglects children in favor of new paramour" is a central plot point, and I have never encountered that before. Is this just a cultural thing where maybe having children but no man is seen as shameful or something?
Guys prefer virgins and aren't fond of extra baggage. That's why they used to sacrifice female virgins to the gods because if we like virgins, gods must like them too.

Users who are viewing this thread