Uchuujin no Kakushigoto - Ch. 22 - Name

Dex-chan lover
I can't think of a response. Not something witty, not something depressing, just me, here in awe.
I feel like he'll just become like the one girl; just a useless, subservient body.

Dex-chan lover
People might think this is some kind of dark comedy, but I think its one of the only examples of good alien depiction in fiction, despite how simple the presentation is. In that you have an alien who operates on a logical set of morals and values, yet that set is entirely alien. Classical sci-fi has a good handful of examples, but the majority are either "human-like" aliens, aliens who have a totally different culture and instinct but for which there is no real logical underpinning, or aliens based on animal tropes.

We take for granted how we view each other, the world and the universe from the relative perspective of humans. Extra bonus points for the author pointing out how that same thing we take for granted, can be subverted by an outside force.
I see it is once again time for me to shill Blindsight, by Peter Watts. A hard sci-fi first contact story which explores themes of consciousness and what post-humans might look like. It also has hard sci-fi vampires. Due to a dispute with its first publisher, it is available for free, right here. You can purchase a written copy if you so desire, and there's even an audiobook. However, this is pretty hard sci-fi, with some heady terminology. You might want to go back and re-read. So I'd recommend a written copy, personally.

I'd strongly recommend it to anybody who enjoys writing, as there's so much to learn from it. The way he approached the psychology of the post-human crew and the aliens in question was really mind bending. My personal writing can be divided into "pre Blindsight" and "post Blindsight." It gave me the requisite juxtaposition to see just how narrow my psychological design space was. Being human, my own empathetic tendencies lead me to be more interested in human psychology, in what I can understand or relate to. But I feel I write much better non-humans thanks to Blindsight. I love it so much.

Fed-Kun's army
I know exactly what you mean, after last ch I was already ready for it to go in the classical alien fell in love for a human and now they are in love and spent the rest of their days as humans in love, but Haru is an alien, she won't and most likely wouldn't change her thinking even if she is "in love". Honestly I was shocked that she did that, but I absolutely love that it went this way
Same. Looking at the general reaction, I'm mostly just disappointed at the community. It reminds you that most people don't think about the assumptions they make when they approach any concept and how that affects their perception and conclusions. I'm even more appreciative of the manga since it made it's points in a very concise manner. Wish more authors would do this instead of milking it to hell and back.

Double-page supporter
He will be eternally together with the alien puss. What a nice thing to do by the author. The funny thing humanity doesn't see it coming. The sad part, it takes a f'ing millennium.

On one hand, what the actual fuck.

On the other hand, we should've seen something like this coming.

Edit:
Also, I know that people think this series is all kinds of fucked up, but in hindsight, I think maybe that's what the author was getting at. As humans, we tend to view ourselves in a positive light; there are very few stories where the main character isn't, at bare minimum, somewhat human, either in appearance, mentality or mannerisms. Even when it's a story about animals with no human intervention, 95 times out of 100 their will be a human narrating the story, the animals will talk (out loud, in their heads or have their grunts "translated") or some other bs. Heck, even with something like aliens, we as humans are almost always forced to make them human-like in order for alien characters to be appealing, weird appendages, features, characteristics o otherwise. Which is probably also why Lovecraft's works were also so horrifying, both in-universe and to us as readers.

But with this story, it hits different. Because even though it starts off as the "aliens living among us" trope mixed with what initially looked like a typical high-school romcom, it all went out the window the moment Karagaki, justifiably depending on who you ask, got perforated.

I honestly don't know how to word this next bit properly, so bare with me. At the end of the day, Haru truly is an alien; even if she looks somewhat human, her way of thinking and morality is beyond most of our comprehensions. Instead of a Black-Grey-White Morality, she runs with Blue and Orange Morality. And... goddammit, my head hurts thinking about all this.

Make of all this what you will, I'm probably wrong on most of this, but I just felt compelled to type all this out before it occupied my brain for the rest of the day.
in alot of stories humans are seen in the worst light there is. like its so very commom

People might think this is some kind of dark comedy, but I think its one of the only examples of good alien depiction in fiction, despite how simple the presentation is. In that you have an alien who operates on a logical set of morals and values, yet that set is entirely alien. Classical sci-fi has a good handful of examples, but the majority are either "human-like" aliens, aliens who have a totally different culture and instinct but for which there is no real logical underpinning, or aliens based on animal tropes.

We take for granted how we view each other, the world and the universe from the relative perspective of humans. Extra bonus points for the author pointing out how that same thing we take for granted, can be subverted by an outside force.
nah, this aint really a good interpretation, she was still too human like. too predictable, if you wanna make something unfathomable you gotta go unfathomable

I mean its you people constantly trying to project human behavior and emotions onto her.
Shes literally an alien that admitted to lying to manipulate MC.
This isnt "Human waifu + one quirky trait manga" she might as well me a fucking lobster.
nah, it wasnt done well.

When the alien revealed how to solve humans author brain must be on holiday at that time. Because in history we were fighting not only for resources but get more resources. So if alien would fill all our needs... there would be always some funny bearded painter that would start another war. and if people would once know alien came to take our planet. I can guarantee you there would be majority of people to rather destroy entire planet then let it to some slime looking aliens. for example good engineering to find way to destroy our moon and they could go colonize Mars. Overall author idea to destroy humanity is childish or rather pathetic, and he nailed his coffin with killing Mc and named him Noah so "original". Maybe next time if he wants to start with alien based stories he should watch and read some stories first. like literally on reddit or yt there's so much stories about alien. So long for good art and crappy story
yea people think its a masterpiece but it pretty much reduces all lifeforms on this planet to be something basic whe they don't. the whole story kinda mid, author tried to so orgininal that it went beyond reason

Dex-chan lover
yea people think its a masterpiece but it pretty much reduces all lifeforms on this planet to be something basic whe they don't. the whole story kinda mid, author tried to so orgininal that it went beyond reason

nah, this aint really a good interpretation, she was still too human like. too predictable, if you wanna make something unfathomable you gotta go unfathomable

I think your issue is that you're the one who has reduced what the author has done to something comprehensible to you, perhaps intentionally to justify your troll posts, then declared that it's 'mid'.

I think your issue is that you're the one who has reduced what the author has done to something comprehensible to you, perhaps intentionally to justify your troll posts, then declared that it's 'mid'.
i wasnt trolling, this author aint really cooking here. it could have been better but they kinda just reduced it to cycles. like idk

Oh, I was kinda expecting that. I feel like this manga was inspired by the third ending of Bloodborne and the mouse utopia experiment.

Double-page supporter
....I just...I don't know. I can't say the story is  BAD....but damn i cant call it good either. An individual who got screwed by fate manipulated by a higher level being with a lower level morality. A being who has no true sense of compassion. Just alien Logic and fluid justifications to play God. Reading that had literally taken my breath out from my body. The idea of going through that hell while trying to help all those around you? Just to get destroyed by the one person you truly loved no matter how different they were? He fell right into her scheme. It's a sick joke. If you ever wanna support the joker's one bad day argument...this is it

Users who are viewing this thread