Under the Oak Tree

He’s a brute on the outside and a sweetheart on the inside. I love him

Why is everyone crying rape when he says after he returns that they never had their 1st night?
He says she fainted before anything happened...

This is a piece of fiction, please don't witch hunt here. If you are not comfortable reading it, don't read it. Drop it.

There's N number of historical fiction written that depict what is now considered rape, but was defo common place for the time/era. There was no concept of rape, of consent. Women ere PROPERTY, an item of political/monetary VALUE. They received only basic knowledge of how to please their husbands, which was usually play dead and hope he comes fast. Some wouldn't know what happened on a wedding night. Most would be, what is now, UNDERAGE, but for the time period would be adult (1st menses). But this was THEN. And you can't catalog the whole history by todays values. Makes no sense.

You guys, the conversation has gone way off track.
In their first night, Maxi doesn't know or understand what s*x while Riftan assumes she does. So did she consent? No, she can't because she didn't know what she's getting into. Then by definition, it's rape. But in my opinion Riftan isn't fully to blame here. Maxi was neglected all her life, her whole family doesn't bother to educate her what transpire during a wedding consummation. And I think this is what divides the opinion.
Riftan is an opportunist and somewhat manipulative, Maxi's father is looking for a scapegoat so he doesn't have to go to the dragon expedition, potentially dies, and left his family with nothing because he doesn't have an heir. Riftan take advantage of that to be with the woman he's infatuated with. After that he makes sure that Maxi properly knows he cares about her, and Maxi clings to whatever affection Riftan offer her. Sounds toxic? Because it is. The circumstances that leads these two together is so toxic. But the point of the story is that they gradually learn about each other, how to work through each other's insecurities and traumas, and learn how to truly love each other.

Holy smokes I came to the comments section looking for some short, and carefree opinions on this webtoon. But walked in on a war, what a wild ride. Err so the I read the novel and was excited for the webtoon, the art choice and scene selection has been really good so far, Maxi is as cute as in could hope in the webtoon. The artist is doing a pretty good job so far conveying her troubles and turmoil. I hope it continues to develop well and show the characters growth.

im so happy this got a webtoon and that people are translating it thank you so much

so... im going to be avoiding the comment section for the sake of peace and enjoyment

@blazing_boz Who said it was an excuse? Historically speaking, that's what women had going for them. It was an obligation, women had low importance to society. Basically tools. If you're going to come here and say it wasn't rape, mate, ya ain't seeing right. But, there's also no need to exaggerate. We learned of this reality at school. Of course, racism, pedophilia causes stronger opinions on us, thus giving the idea that rape is more "forgiving". That is not the point. We're simple just pointing down how things went at that time. You can't go back and change that. That's how it was, like or not. I'm thankful I was born in this time, where no one can make those kinds of decisions for me.

@paparazzi Your opinion is a bit harsh, but I have to agree with you. It does has some toxic vibes. Personally, I'm not a fan of how the FL starts appreciating the ML after sometime. Sure, his actions speak for themselves, but it's cring-y, tbh. 😅 It's like the Stockholm syndrome. It doesn't help she came from an abusive past, thus every sort of sympathy and attention creates stronger emotions and attachment on her side. Fortunately, he seems to care for her truly, even tho he has a temper.

Am I the only one wanting her to develop magic powers? I'm definitely into strong FL. I can already see her father loosing his sh*t at the sight of his "useless" daughter's strength. It wouldn't be a surprise if he tried to capture her or annul her wedding somehow. Logically, that might not happen. He'll definitely try to monopolize her somehow to make use of her. I hope her Mana affinity grows.

@Athedite Spoilers - she'll become strong. At least that's what the novels' translators noted.

Code:
Mod Note: Please use spoiler tags when talking about chapter-specific or future events.

Double-page supporter
@nana0_san
Lmao same here. It's an all-out war I didn't expect.

I read the novel but I stopped after 20 chapters or so coz I got irritated with FL's stuttering. Though seeing the story in manhwa form is somewhat tolerable for me so I guess I'll read on from here. Not to mention I really dig the character designs

@manvugu to be fair, Riftan is not intentionally manipulative. But he accused Maxi of a lot of thing beyond her control. A misunderstanding fueled by his insecurity. And Maxi, the abused daughter starved of affection, will say and do anything to diffuse the situation and make him not think badly of her. But at the end of the day, he genuinely cares for her, about what she wants, and desperately wants her to be comfortable (if not happy) by his side. That's why I can't really find myself hating this character and story although it touches a lot of grey area. And I feel so much for Maxi 😭. I also waiting for her to able to use her magic, be more self sufficient, and proud of herself.

Finally, a story that isn't a 21st century woman getting killed by Truck-kun, then transmigrating/reincarnating into the novel she was just reading/writing, then signing a 1/2/3 year marriage contract with the duke/marquis/count/prince/king/emperor with a condition stating not to show affection (which means they totally gonna be kissing and fckin), then a mess of the MC trying to deny her feelings towards the ML because she's the villainess/side character and totally not the MC (even though things haven't been going as the novel said at all because MC is acting like a 21st century, modern day woman rather than a 14th/15th/16th century woman).

Just from these first four chapters, I give this story a 10/10 Masterpiece with a Truck-kun seal of approval!

It’s only been 4 chapter and I’ve already began disregarding the stuttering and just saying it normally😂but I love love love this story! Both sides misunderstanding each other right off the bat is interesting

Users who are viewing this thread