Under the Oak Tree

The novel is not to be missed! Character development is solid and meticulously shown.
We'll see how Maxi shines as she receives love and learns to love for the first time. 💜

I think I read from WordExcerpt's discord server that most, if not all of their webtoons and manhwas are taken down due them working on licencing. We may be able to see some of the webtoons or manhwas again if they get the licence but it won't be for free anymore.

I still really like this story, but I'll be honest... going on CH 8+ and she can barely even say a single word. We got it, she has been hurt and her dad was a tool, but it feels like each chapter harps on it. I wish that she had at least a single maid that figured out what was going on with her though.

I get that the MC is dealing with trauma and it will take a while for here to heal from it, but I can't seem to not be annoyed by her attitude of self pity, putting her self down everytime and not actually learning to respect herself... but I guess we'll get that in later chapters.

Maybe it's because I'm a bit on the older side and have had the misfortune to meet with some very shitty people and deal with quite uncomfortable situations, but somehow I'm not annoyed by either the MC nor the ML.

I find the MC appropriately depicted, considering her lifetime of trauma, the lack of confidence is reasonable, it's not like she has any reason to believe in herself, she hasn't achieved anything on her own and she was so oppressed that she almost wasn't even allowed to breathe unless someone told her to.
That's not something someone can shake off just like that. However, in spite of that she is actually quite direct, saying what she wants, even if weakly.
She told the ML what was bothering her, and that's a big plus.

Usually these kind of settings are based on misunderstandings like "oh the MC believes the ML hates her, while ML thinks MC hates him...blah blah..." that get dragged on for-freaking-ever, while there's some of it here, the communication is actually much better than in stories that use this trope.

As for the ML, he seems to be dealing with his own insecurities (read inferiority complex, anger issues), however, for once, he's not directing them at the MC.
Overbearing and rash? Definitely
Abusive? Not at all, at least not at the moment. He's certainly better than Hugo or what's his name from Ingrid the White Deer. Or beastly husband (can't be bothered to remember their names).

I'm holding out hope, that they will both grow with each other, and develop confidence both in their relationship as in themselves.
So far, they communicate much better than the average manga couple. 💀

Idk how I feel about their relationship...like, it'd obvious that the girl has been abused, and they're both working out their own issues. I just hope it doesn't go to a toxic place

I really wanted to like this considering how nice the art is, but God does this have problems. Like other people mentioned, she clearly doesn't even have an understanding of what sex is and is constantly just meeting his needs (why tf is he so horny all the time in the first place) which is so fucking creepy and not actual consent. Don't come in with the "he asked and she said yes" I can read, I know that and from his perspective he isn't violating her which is important, but from her perspective she is just letting him use her body out of fear of him leaving her and because she felt that its her "duty" as a wife. So I don't know why a scene like that would be enjoyable to anyone, it is so uncomfortable. (the sex scenes after the first few are much more like actual consent) In the novel it is somehow 50 times worse because you don't have to read between the lines when the author blatantly writes out her thoughts and her sole initial knowledge of sex is that its the duty of a husband and wife. She didn't want to get married to him in the first place don't forget that, she didn't even know him.

Also this isn't exactly a problem but more of a personal peeve, Maxi is such a boring character like I understand why she is the way she is, she has went through so much. But her only exsting characteristics are related to her trauma and it makes her so boring. Idk anything about her except that she is hurt, misunderstood, timid, and doesn't understand the world. Then theres Riftan who is just very "im horny, im a great warrior, my wife is pretty but she prob looks down on me, im perfect" and thats it.

@mabou Gotta realize that this is how it used to be, when our civilization was around this level. People were more into the "how do i use this child for our own good" than "i want to give this child a good life" way.

Not too many chapters so far either, so the story and characters haven't been fleshed out yet.

Users who are viewing this thread