Urasekai Picnic - Vol. 4 Ch. 21 - Time, Space and a Middle-aged Man VIII

Aggregator gang
@Alsimec: Sorawo doesn't really understand what her eye can do. Its power only manifests when she focuses her attention on it, and it hurts her to do that for very long so she generally doesn't use it. She thinks it allows her to see through to the truth of things, but in that case why was Kozakura a plant? That's not her true nature.
It might be more accurate to say that it allows her to shift her perception until it is "in tune" with that of the otherside, and because the otherside seems to be built around the concept of perception, that gives Sorawo power over it.

Dex-chan lover
so basically she's gonna turn shortie into a plant????
also everyone's obsessed with satsuki, don't think that's normal

I have not commented a lot but , it really seems 90% of the comments have not realized the missing girl has :
Survived forever in the otherside.
Survived a lot of nights alone.
Due to the comments of the loli it confirms even more she might have mutated too.
She probably has insane powers.
Etc.

Dex-chan lover
is she her self already a plant as well?
is shortie even the shortie she knows when she was a plant before?
maybe she is one of these thing sthat replace the original

Oh great, plants. Now I'm nervous they're going to run into a building that's actually a venus fly trap or something.

Thank you for the chapter - it's been a wild ride so far!

@Rukja LN reader here
1-
She isnt, her eye only changes how her and the other people and otherside beings percieve that world
2- not really a spoiler but
yes she is the real kozakura, she walking towards the plants city is part of next chapter plot twist

@Kabeidon_ dont want to really spoiler a mayor plot of the story but next chapter gives a good hint of what satsuki is/what happened to her

Can give more spoilers about how the otherside ''works'' but it gets explained gradually, LN gets really good from this arc onwards and never pulls the stop lever

Dex-chan lover
They actually drew plants that aren't moving, or poisonous, or threatening in any other way whatsoever, and yet they're incredibly creepy just from a certain something vague about their appearance.

This artist can have my babies because between that and all the other stuff, this manga just reached kino levels of existential horror.

These plants slightly resemble the ones within the mysterious book of the "Voynich Manuscript." Here is a sample of its contents:
Beinecke_DL_2002046-178.jpg

Supporter
I described the light novels (after binge-reading all four volumes) as "The Southern Reach Trilogy meets Tanis by way of creepypasta", and I think that captures a good chunk of the feel, though there are obviously a lot of influences and I'm not sure if either of those two actually had any influence on this story, of if they all just share similar sources. I do think most people who like this (and/or liked the LN) would enjoy the Southern Reach books by Jeff VanderMeer - they share quite a lot of aspects with this story, particularly the meditation on the nature of reality and perception, and the bizarre otherness of the worlds they describe. Don't just watch the movie - read the books, they're all totally worth it. Not much that can be described as yuri, sadly, but still awesome reads. As for Tanis, if you haven't heard of this podcast you really should check it out - it's amazing, and it takes as its jumping off point a lot of the same kind of ideas that fed into this, though from a western/American perspective rather than a Japanese perspective. I first heard the description of the elevator "game" in Tanis, and the version they describe is pretty similar to the one in this (including the scary lady running to catch the lift on the 5th floor).

On the topic of this chapter, this is really the point where I started thinking there was something seriously off about Satsuki. She triggered this kind of obsessiveness from multiple completely different people - obsessiveness to the point of dangerous irrationality. Given how much time she'd spent in the otherside by the time she met Kozakura and Toriko it made me wonder whether that had some kind of impact on her nature . . .
Yeah, just a teensy bit . . . like totally making her into an otherside monster, possibly even a kind of boss or queen bee monster . . .
(big spoiler there, read at your own risk)

Thanks for translating some of the sound effects. They really make a big difference.

Users who are viewing this thread