Urasekai Picnic - Vol. 5 Ch. 25 - The Operation to Rescue the US Forces at Kisaragi Station II

Is Sorawo partially American or something?! And why would a foreign military give guns to people, especially if she's going to be keeping them. They would lend it to her in a pinch but it feels unlikely that they would let her keep them, especially since it's likely quite illegal, especially in Japan.

Dex-chan lover
@norctune @SunnyShim

A lot of stuff in this arc won't make sense in terms of "why would they rely on these girls so much" until you put things in proper context. The soldiers are absolutely fucking desperate.

They have lost most of their forces since arriving at in the Otherside and endured horrendous situation after horrendous situation. They have been forced to repeatedly put down their own comrades or mutated versions of their own comrades. They're now almost out of supplies and facing death by starvation in the near future. They could never successfully navigate out to the real world again by themselves.

There is literally no other option for them to survive, so they would probably agree to almost any possibility the girls proposed. If they asked for the men to entirely disarm, that would probably be a step too far. But for extra guns they weren't using anyway? To them, that's an absolute bargain deal.

@SunnyShim I think, Toriko is a mixed blood. I may be wrong but it was mentioned her parents lived in Canada. And Sorawo is entirely japanese, i believe.
There is a serious question, if those soldiers got out of otherworld they would appear in the city, right? Fully armed people in uniform appearing in the city, that's bound to cause panic, what will they do?

This bugged me last few chapters: why is Kozakura blaming Sorawo for going to the other side? She didn't force her to go, they just end up there. Yes, maybe she drew the entities to Kozakura's house, but she didn't knew that they would be transferred to the Other side.

@GrayBypasser according to them (the soldiers) they were training in the mountains in Okinawa when the gate sucked them in. That's where they want to go back to. I doubt anyone would see them.

The text placement on page 30 has been fixed. Apologies for not noticing it sooner.

@string20 but if they use the gate Toriko and co. uses( i think that was the plan ), then they will appear in the city, in the building connected to the otherside.

@okami6663
I think that's not the point. She blames Sorawo for leaving her alone on the other side, which traumatized her, and this when Sorawo promised her that she'll be safe. The "I'm never going with you again" of this chapter is probably for that reason.

sorawo ionly thinks of getting toriko's pants. and toriko herself has that bullshit "save everyone" ideology.
kuzahura is antisocial, who can't handle pressure and away give in to their self-centered demands.

i want everything to crash and burn.....

@YuriIsTooLewd @okami6663

I don't think she blames Sorawo on an intellectual level; if she could sit down and think about it calmly, she'd probably admit that it wasn't really anyone's fault. Like it said last chapter, she's processing fear as anger, and just kind of lashing out. She's also worried about the two of them, and thinks they're being far too casual about things, and that only makes her angrier.

The "I'm never going with you again" bit is because Kozakura just can't handle the other side. She has "low fear tolerance," and doesn't even like talking about the phenomena directly, if she doesn't have to. Recall that she even refused to go with Satsuki when she was still around.

@okami6663 (I don't know if you want the tag. It is related)
@I_am_nemo
Yeah, the second part can be. I also agree that she is worried about them in this chapter, but I don't think she ever got angry about it. As per the rest, I feel that the difference between our opinion is that you think Sorawo and Toriko weren't at fault (So Kozakura was randomly lashing out), while I think they were, or at least that it's reasonable for her to be angry at them.

(no actual spoiler, just for compactness' sake. I only read the manga.)
Toriko:
Kozakura didn't seem much angry at Toriko, and it basically boils down to which ethics she follows, and what she thinks is the reason for crime punishment. E.g. laws punish involuntary manslaughter even if it is involuntary.

If Kozakura wanted to avoid bad things to happen again, then the one that should change how she acted was Toriko. She made the decision of going to the otherside alone. She can't fault Sorawo for wanting to rescue her, but that caused all those apparitions, which ultimately made Kozakura end up on the other side. Using Sorawo's idea that it was a trap, the one that fell into it first and brought everyone with her was Toriko.

We could also talk about Kozakura caring about Toriko and being angry that she did something suicidal, but that's still Kozakura having a good reason to be angry at her.

Sorawo:
With Sorawo the point is not about a bad choice per se, but about trust. Kozakura put her life in Sorawo's hand like she asked, and Sorawo failed her. The voices kept on getting louder and angrier, so something could have happened if they arrived a bit later. If she passed out she may even become a part of the glitch, like the other plants. But more than anything Kozakura did get traumatized because of Sorawo's choice.

This is worsened by Sorawo not seeming to actually get/care about people's feeling: (Regardless of it being true, you can't fault Kozakura for thinking it):
- She is totally insensitive about their feeling for Satsuki.
- After Kozakura called her to eat and lashed out about pressing Sorawo's hand on the burning hot grid, Sorawo heard all that, and all she thought about was not wanting to pay for the food.
- She didn't get the problem of Kozakura being still traumatized after more than a week, with the lights always on and a riffle next to her. She only understood it when she was told that she was taking pills, as if it wasn't obvious enough already from the way Kozakura behaved the day before.
- When they just arrived in the other side Kozakura was really angry about it, but Sorawo just used the situation to make Kozakura help her, without caring much about her feelings.
- She'd rather have them transformed into flowers than bringing them back as humans. Or at least there is a non trivial part of her that wishes she could do that.
- She came up with the idea of making her a plant because Kozakura didn't want to look around aimlessly for Toriko, while Sorawo did. Her answer to that was to leave Kozakura there while she went to look for Toriko the way she wanted.
- She didn't even try to turn Kozakura back after she managed to make the other plants appear, even if before she said that the city in plant-mode was safe. Also, she was surprised that they appeared, so she may have been able to bring Kozakura back while keeping the plants. She knew that the plants moved while they weren't visible, and she could have tried to revive Kozakura after the day appeared and the plants disappeared. Instead she didn't even think about trying.

So, while she may have exaggerated a bit due to the bad experience she got through, I think it's reasonable for someone in her position to think it was their fault. On an intellectual level. Toriko for her bad decision, and Sorawo for not caring much about her after Kozakura put her life in her hands.

Dex-chan lover
So has it been explained why the other gates seem to be stable except for the very first one Sorawo used in that apartment?
Why was it special?

@YuriIsTooLewd

Spoiler for length, will double tag any actual spoilers.

I don't really disagree that Sorawo is insensitive, I was thinking specifically about Kozakura getting stuck as a plant and getting traumatized from that. In that regard, I think Sorawo made the best choice she could with the info she had available, even if in hindsight it seems like she should have realized the flaws in her plan. Kozakura is almost paralyzed with fear, and has already been acting somewhat irrationally (she walked away from the building in a daze, without her gun. Which really makes her somewhat at fault as well, if you want to focus on that). Leaving her in stasis is pretty much the optimal solution here. When Sorawo starts to figure out how the glitch works, the double shows up, and she (naturally) wants to make sure she doesn't lose track of it.

As far as Toriko going off on her own, she was feeling abandoned and didn't expect anyone to come after her. You can't really say she should have considered that; if she was able to, she wouldn't have gone off in the first place.

And you can see Kozakura getting mad as a way to deal with fear already in the chapters before she gets plantified. Regardless of whether she has additional reason to be angry, this seems to be a fairly typical response for her.

At any rate, I didn't mean to say she had zero reason to be angry, just that the anger isn't (primarily) about what actually happened, but rather (primarily) a coping mechanism.

As far as her being worried about them, it shows up more clearly later in the the volume, so maybe I shouldn't have mentioned it. I can see it here and in the previous chapters, but that's partly from reading over them with the knowledge of later chapters.

@I_am_nemo
I don't think she blames Sorawo on an intellectual level; if she could sit down and think about it calmly, she'd probably admit that it wasn't really anyone's fault.
This is what I was replying to. Also, the narrator claims that Kozakura is being irrational, but that narrator is Sorawo herself, and she doesn't understand Kozakura in the first place.

You can't really say she should have considered that; if she was able to, she wouldn't have gone off in the first place.
I'm not saying that Kozakura is right, but not everyone uses 'what could have happened' as ethics to decide who is to blame. As I already said, if you want to avoid history repeating itself, something needs to be changed. In this situation the only two 'bad' behaviors are Toriko's decision of going there alone, and her precedent discussion with Sorawo. Everything else is a reasonable action compared to those (or is outside their control).

This can be seen in the following:
- Toriko: I think I was wrong [ I didn't expect you to follow me, and ] I didn't mean to get you involved {intention-based ethics}
- Kozakura gulps {she is conscious that she'll appear badly if she says it, as Toriko tried to do the right thing}
- Kozakura: You say that like it was our fault for chasing after you, you know. {look at the what Toriko says trying to see what should be changed, Toriko only mentions them following her being unexpected, as if that was the action that should have been different. She won't change her behavior in this way. Instead Kozakura thinks the problem is her going in alone, or her discussion with Sorawo. She wants Toriko to acknowledge the actual problem, and improve.}
- Toriko: No, that's not it [and seems to panic]
- Sorawo: Couldn't you put a little more faith in me? [and similar following sadistic bubbles]
- Kozakura: You are getting carried away. {Sorawo is totally missing Kozakura's point, and just playing with Toriko}

As far as her being worried about them, [...]
I phrased it wrong. I agree and it's clearly visible, but it's not my main point and we agree on it, so let's forget about it.

And you can see Kozakura getting mad as a way to deal with fear already in the chapters before she gets plantified.
She was getting mad to cover up her fear, not to deal with it. It's different from what happened in the last chapters, where she was actively attacking the other two.

and has already been acting somewhat irrationally (she walked away from the building in a daze, without her gun. Which really makes her somewhat at fault as well, if you want to focus on that)
That's glitch that hypnotized her like for Toriko, and Sorawo already broke that 'spell'. Otherwise she wouldn't have been a plant.

the double shows up, and she (naturally) wants to make sure she doesn't lose track of it.
Why? ch22, page 14, she is next to Kozakura and realizes where the double is going. Doesn't need to keep track of it. If you swap Kozakura with Toriko, Sorawo wouldn't have followed the double immediately to find Kozakura asap, but tried to de-plantify Toriko. If you put two Toriko's I wouldn't be so sure, but I doubt she would have transformed Toriko in a plant and left her alone, only because Toriko was scared.

Im liking Sorawo more and more , she does not give a shit about Satsuki and wants guns to shoot the fuck out of the things , nice.

Fed-Kun's army
honestly, sorawo just keeps seeming more and more sociopathic

Dex-chan lover
"they must be close to their limits by now"
they must be fucking dead by now
you think they just have months worth of resources on them after being transported from a field exercise or some shit? some probably died trying to replicate your train stunt lmao

speaking of guns where did their fucking m14 go
they had it on the monkeyman train and then it was just gone never to be mentioned again

@Ace435 you start not giving a shit when you take a magic elevator to hell and almost die fighting some collective consciousness based creepypasta monsters twice a week
especially when you are already emotionally damaged to begin with from a horrible childhood

Users who are viewing this thread