Use a proper user blocking function :rejected:

Dex-chan lover
If someone's harassing you, report them. If they're spouting bullshit that's harmful to your mental wellbeing, block them. There's literally nothing else they can do to hurt you anymore.

If them being able to see your posts is an invasion into your life and you have a problem with that, perhaps don't discuss intimate details of your life on Manga Dex Dot Com.

If this feature is implemented and the other person sees you've blocked them (and it'll be IMMEDIATELY in their face due to this being a public discussion forum and not Twitter or Facebook), it'll only - as the Dril tweet goes - make their opinions worse. In the worst-case scenario, it'll escalate what was just having bad opinions into harassment

In the worst-case scenario, it'll escalate....

ugo8pYx.jpg

as far as the FB example. To me it's different. You go there to post personal stuff, you are the main source rather then just one of many participants. At MD you come here as a participant to read and have discussions.

I also see two issues with you being able to block what others see. First I could choose to block you then start saying stuff about you and even though you don't have me blocked you wouldn't see it. If I was careful with my statements and wording, not stepping over the line at anyone time, I could start undercutting you or trying to harm your rep. The second issue is somewhat related to my FB comments above, this is a discussion forum. From one of your posts:
soooo every time i would like to filter someone out of my life i would need to crawl to a mod with an essay
If it happens so often that it is a hassle, this may get me blocked by you, but you seem overly sensitive. The forum part is for discussions and conversations, unlike FB it is not specifically about you. When you block someone from reading your posts, as you want to do, you are interfering with their ability to follow a discussion when they may not have done anything major to you or even be aware that they have offended you. If you want to stop my or others ability to follow discussions easily then yes you should need to talk to a mod.

@schlo
Picture 5 people talking among many other people(comment section), 1 guy for whatever reason get's ignored by 1 of the 4 other people.
Aside from maybe getting offended because of it, there are still 3 people to talk with+the rest of the people in the room (in the comment section)
talking about something else or whatever. But the fact of the matter is its only 1 person who you can't "interact" with,and vice versa!

I mean even on social media or other forums people don't just go on a blocking rampage for no reason at all....
Have a little more faith in people's judgement, remember totalitarianism ended 20 years ago...

@konzolmester
imagine 5 people talking. 1 can't hear the one person and is trying to converse with the other 3 who are responding to something he can't hear, at some point it can become an act of unintentional exclusion without the consent of anyone but 1 person in the group. Read a paragraph with 1 fourth of the sentences or words randomly gone see how much sense thatmakes. Not all threads are just random posts of great, this sucks, love the comedy... Some are back and forth.

Imagine trying to respond to your own Rating a Comment thread if it were posted by someone else and you couldn't read the initial post. You would be at a huge disadvantage and maybe miss out on a change that you object to.

As far as blocking in general, family members are blocking family members because of their views on politics, abortion, religion...

Imagine me being able to restrict what you can see on a discussion forum without having to talk to anybody. I have no problem with them blocking what they themselves see. I have a problem with them being able to block what I see on a discussion forum not controlled by them, a discussion forum that is not about them and that they don't mod on. I do agree they should be able to block pm's and the like if that capability doesn't exist now.

And then you people get offended when others are calling you 'snowflakes' and 'worst generation since boomers'.

You're 32, don't you have other things to worry about? Seriously, fuck milennials.

Dex-chan lover
I really don't see how some of the posters here still think it's a good idea to block people from viewing your own posts. Aside from the meme posts (which are great), plenty of people here have explained in depth why the option would be a horrible idea.

Not like all of this actually matters too much, as I trust that the staff would never implement a feature so harmful to the user experience.

as long you don't block me. I'm waiting for the time when you post a pic of your self so we can finally see if you really do live up to your name. And you better not be a guy. 😃

WoW didn't meant to piss off the regulars here....Just trying to have a decent conversation.... no need for a temper tantrum...again :D

Miku best girl
Admin
Like someone has suggested, all it takes is for someone to log out and they would be able to see your post, so implementing such a feature is a waste of time if takes literally no effort to circumvent.

Dex-chan lover
I'm not surprised the users here are worried about a block feature making them feel left out. That's some grade school levels of insecurity. The block function on MD isn't even a bandaid. It's clear tape.

Double-page supporter
It's not about feeling left out, it's turning the Block Feature into a weapon to prevent someone from being a part of a conversation for any reason you can think of. It's one thing to ignore them, it's another to hinder their participation in a public forum just because you do not like them for some reason.

While I do feel sorry for the people who don't have the mental fortitude to even see the name of someone they hate, I much prefer it to just completely removing the persons posts. At least with this I can tell when someone is responding to an inflammatory comment I can't see I can guess it was the person I blocked even if they didn't @ them.

on noes I was supes cereal about this... and peeps can see the comments when logged out? maybe fix that before anything... jeeez... ◔_◔
well anyways thanks for at least reading it I guess...

Dex-chan lover
@Hawx88
and peeps can see the comments when logged out? maybe fix that before anything... jeeez... ◔_◔
Methods of attempting to identify a user who is not logged in are a mixture of super invasive, ineffective, and likely to cause massive collateral damage.
You might note that even Twitter does not do anything to "fix" this, and they pay multiple professionals tons of money to make their site.

Fed-Kun's army
every word of the op sounds super sarcastic and a mix of valley girl speak -.- cant believe this managed 50+ responses

Dex-chan lover
every word of the op sounds super sarcastic and a mix of valley girl speak -.- cant believe this managed 50+ responses
More like overly cutesy weeb speak. Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if OP was just a troll all along.

Banned
I kinda sympathise with OP here.

I'd rather people I blocked couldn't see my posts either. I don't like the thought of them continuing to talk shit about me behind my back after I've blocked them... I get enough of that shit on Reddit already... or did before I kinda stopped using it. But if I can't see it happening then at least I'm not likely to be thinking about it.

Honestly though, I'm more concerned about the private messaging and tagging features. Are blocked people still able to tag / message those who have blocked them as a means of bypassing the block? If so then that needs to be dealt with as a far higher priority than simply making hidden posts work both ways...
... especially since I can't report anything any more (which I believe was a result of several entirely justified reports on my part for ableist comments at various points about the site).

@Granitefish
it's another to hinder their participation in a public forum just because you do not like them for some reason.
Moderators have been doing exactly that on discussion pages across the world since the dawn of the Internet. But I guess it is only acceptable if someone with a shiny button or a special colour does it?

@sterven
I mean how many enemies can you make in the span of 2 days unless of course you know you're gonna make some sometime soon.
I've managed hundreds in under 10 minutes on Reddit before... but that was Reddit. No, I wasn't trying to. I just wanted to complain about something and expected agreement, but got death threats instead.
Autistic Problems.

Double-page supporter
@SotiCoto It's acceptable when the person's assigned Role is to MODERATE the forums. It's not just acceptable, It's expected when someone is breaking the rules set for the Public Forum. If you feel someone is breaking the rules set for the Public Forum then report them and let the Mods do their job.

Yes there are Mods that abuse that power, and they almost always get called out by the community as abusing that ability, which shows it's not acceptable by the community when that happens. But it should not be on the common user to just exclude someone from the forum little more than "I don't like what this person said." That would only lead to even more abuse of said power.

Users who are viewing this thread