Velma Thread

Dex-chan lover
Felt wrong to try to post this in Anime, as the usual animation quality, vc, key frames, bgm choice discussions will probably take the backfoot.

So what do you feel about Velma?

It appears to be the new show that's making sales in pitchforks the best investment of 2023. To preface I have not watched the show, but its appears to have become infamous enough to pop up everywhere.

I definitely had goodwill towards Scooby Doo growing up: However Velma producers have said ages ago that this show will be very unlike the original; which begs the question why they had to use the Scooby IP? Was it just to burn an old favourite for angry viewership fuel? If it is meant to be an origin show does that mean the gang will resolve their differences later on and become the favourites that we know and love? (...So somehow Fred is gonna get 100 IQ points, Shaggy is gonna get stoned, Velma is gonna turn nerdy and less mocking, Daphne is gonna fall in love with Fred? Ignoring a lot of Melanin changes)

From snippets of commentators it appears that Velma is quite Meta and criticizes a lot of tropes and cliches...but also uses those same tropes of bad writing; such as reducing the intelligence of everyone in the show so that problems that occur need the MC with their superior intellect to fix (which may suggest that the creator was not smart enough to make a complex problem that they themselves could solve). But as someone who hasn't watched it; perhaps it might be that the in later episodes, there is actually some great demon or culprit that has made everyone dumb, so the gang can't figure out and stop their nefarious plans. I think that might be a good twist and explain why the Scooby IP was used and the supposed intentional/unintentional hate mongering to prove the people who hate the show wrong.

Does this show try to follow the dark humor of animated Harvey Quinn? Or is it completely different? Surely some accountant somewhere crunched numbers on this show as a success, so maybe the hate is intentional? Or else there must be some audience demographic that the producers are betting on to be a cult classic?

Anyways, I think if I ever watch this show, it'll probs be only after it finishes and the whole story is out. There has only been 2 episodes, lots of time to grow or trainwreck and if its a trainwreck, as a wholesome slice-of-life enjoyer; there's no reason for me to watch it, since I will neither enjoy it and will just help their viewership numbers.

Everytime Velma gets brought up, the same points are made. You can read any convo about it and it'll go the same way.
why scooby doo
Recognizable IP and story wouldn't sell by itself.
why bad writing
Because they suck as writers.
what is it trying to do
Generate hate views/spout toxic 2016 politics/ideas.
watch the show
Please never hatewatch a show, it's bad enough that this show keeps getting notoriety when everyone and their grandma know they are banking on that.

Best pure Scooby Doo is What's New Scooby Doo.

Dex-chan lover
the-simpsons-groundskeeper-willie.gif

Actually glad Scooby isnt there God knows what they wouldve done to him

Group Leader
Its just like Usagi Drop, the one whose responsible for this stupid chaos is the upper higher, from writer>producer>script writing>direcotr. Someone who green light this shit is just some idiot.
but its not even on the same level as Gal Cleaning at all whose doing good then peaked to the mariana trench.

remember kids, these motherfucker who green light these kind of shit has no brain. if only my cute Usagi Drop mangoes doesnt end up that way, it couldve season 2 by now. T_T

Awful show in the mold of a lot of new animation produced for streaming services-- It would not be worth mentioning except for the bizarre choice of making it Scooby-Doo. It was pretty clearly pitched as a different show and then had the Scooby-Doo IP painted over it as a caveat of acceptance.

I don't particularly care about the more superficial character changes that have driven a lot of the early backlash, but they've completely changed the characters' backgrounds and personalities as well, which is just baffling and really drives home how poorly the show maps onto the Scooby-Doo concept.

Dex-chan lover
Awful show in the mold of a lot of new animation produced for streaming services-- It would not be worth mentioning except for the bizarre choice of making it Scooby-Doo. It was pretty clearly pitched as a different show and then had the Scooby-Doo IP painted over it as a caveat of acceptance.

I don't particularly care about the more superficial character changes that have driven a lot of the early backlash, but they've completely changed the characters' backgrounds and personalities as well, which is just baffling and really drives home how poorly the show maps onto the Scooby-Doo concept.
My problem with the changes were they are so different, it was no longer scooby doo. Kinda like the Saints Row reboot changed too much may aswell have made it a new series.

I especially love how they no longer call Shaggy Shaggy cause of his race swap lol. But the real reason is as a stand alone series/movie it's poor writing would be liked by very few if anyone. Bad characterisation, bad plot, bad world building so like what was the point?

Fun fact: The writer for this series liked a post by JK Rowling saying something along the likes of "I'm crying over all my lost readers as I read my royalty checks" which just says alot about a person in multiple ways.

Dex-chan lover
I'll have to give the show a try after finishing Harley Quinn. From my understanding most aspects of the show are good quality. It's the writing and IP that are causing problems. The art style seems nice, the animation seems smooth, and the voice acting seems high quality. Granted, this is just my surface level opinion.

Dex-chan lover
Seems like a garbage project solely made to stroke peoples hate views

Avoid, avoid at all costs
If someone makes an actual funny review of it then watch that.

Dex-chan lover
When I was tired cleaning up my library (manga, anime, game)
I decided to give Velma a try
I had to turn my brain off to enjoy the show
I like the characters and parody tropes
But I really hate they're using Scooby Doo characters
Could've been better if it was a parody/knock-offs in the same universe as Scooby Doo, making fun of Scooby Doo, but not in an insulting way

Users who are viewing this thread