Vinland Saga - Vol. 25 Ch. 180 - Sailing West Part 14

Dex-chan lover
F73xMvX.png

Dex-chan lover
@Makenai milk is not exactly the safest drink, specially if it is perserved cold and hasn't gone through a pasteurization proccess.

The europeans carry their own set of viruses and germs, very different from the ones that existed in the americas. And since the stomachs of the natives weren't used to digest the milk it made them sick. You know, the things that happen to the people that is lactose intolerant. And that would be the least of the problems.

It's not just milk, I mean, the spanish killed thousands of aztecs just by accidentally infecting them with an european virus.

If history taught me anything, the natives are gonna get smallpox from that bag 😂

0ps

The natives that day learned of being lactose intolerant.

Wow, the native americans and their design looks great, that mocassin was GORGEOUS too. Cant wait to see how they interact, if any of them have met Northmen before, and who their leaders are

Nod

@Makenai The human ability to drink the milk of other animals long into adulthood is actually a pretty rare evolutionary trait amongst mammals. Unfortunately the human population of north America was cut off from the rest of the species long before the genes for lactase persistence could spread into their populations. To this day the FDA estimates that up to 75% of all adult Native Americans have some form of lactose intolerance.

Ok hopefully the author sustains realism enough to remove any small pox issues here. Just let me watch my CIV game in manga form ye? Seriously though I'm good without the literal millions of death caused by disease alone in this timeline. Otherwise, farm time pog.

I have a feeling that Eyvar guy might be the one to start some sort of conflict with the natives

i'm gonna be so sad if the author is realistic about the diseases the pioneers are carrying :(

Dex-chan lover
Everybody's talking about the milk.

But I'd be far more concerned about the woollen clothes.

As has been pointed out previously, goat's milk is far more digestible than cow's milk, healthier too. And if Thorfinn had gifted them cheese that problem could have been avoided entirely

Also kudos to the commenter who remarked the beauty of that moccasin panel.

Dex-chan lover
@Yiledute
@Nod
Thanks for explaining that to me. I wasn't aware of that or more like never really thought about it. Now I wonder how the manga handels that topic.9

Users who are viewing this thread